Half Life (1) Console - Enabling?

gtd2000

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
I've been playing the HL mod called Invasion and at the part of the game where you are falling down a tunnel - and to put it mildly keep getting killed due to low health/shield.

Unusually for me I'd like to use some cheats to get past this section and need to enable the console...which is described as follows:

To access the cheat codes you must have the console enabled, to enable the console start the game using "hl.exe -console"
This can be done from a MS-DOS window, the run line in Windows or you can create a shortcut to hl.exe and edit the shortcut adding the -console.

An example of doing this command from the run line could look like:

c:\sierra\half-life\hl.exe -console

Once enabled you should be able to press the tilde key ( ~ ) in the game to bring down the console, in the console type any of the below commands to enable the associated cheat.

Problem is that when I try to do this (create a shortcut to hl.exe and edit the shortcut adding the -console) it won't let me an gives and error message...I should have written down the actual message but I assumed that I'd find the solution via Google this morning and I'm at the office...

Basically, when I change the hl.exe to hl.exe -console and choose apply it says it's not valid

Any ideas? - I'm using the original Won version and it is updated to 1.1.1.0

Cheers in advance :thumbsup:

gtd2000

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
Originally posted by: msi1337
if you patch the game, console should show up in the main menu

By that do you mean that as I'm running version 1.1.1.0 - then it is already patched and I'm looking for an option somewhere in the settings?

gtd2000

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
Originally posted by: ShawnD1
Try adding "-dev" to the end of the path. This enables developer mode.

I'll try that this evening when I get home then.

It seems (so far..) that as soon as I try to change the line it simply says I can't do that...

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Its in the advanced control options (at least for HL2 games) called "Enable Developer Console ~"

gtd2000

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
I found out what the problem was in the end - not exactly sure why it happened in the first place though...

In the shortcut properties for HL which was something like:

"c:\sierra\half-life\hl.exe"

You'll notice the quotes around the text - well when adding the -console to the line entry they always said add it without the quotes, so....

I deleted the desktop shortcut icon and made a new one - which did not have the quotation marks around the text and looked as it should like this:

c:\sierra\half-life\hl.exe

With that sorted out I could launch the game and enable the console and input the cheats etc...

However, it was all in vain as entering the cheat codes didn't make any difference in Invasion....:confused:

On the plus side, I managed to complete the game last night - even with 2 health points and no shield :Q

Thanks for all the suggestions guys :)