Haiti hit with another quake

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
That was still a big quake...my guess is they aren't done... With the first being such a shallow quake, do they have vulcanologist's there checking things out?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I don't know, but a 6.1 probably just scares the hell out of people. I don't think there's much this would harm that a quake 10 times it's strength didn't already take down.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I don't know, but a 6.1 probably just scares the hell out of people. I don't think there's much this would harm that a quake 10 times it's strength didn't already take down.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With all due respects to Haybasusa Rider, this aftershock has done quite a bit of damage, collapsing new buildings, compacting rubble, making it far more difficult to get existing victims out, and worse yet dealing a blow to overall morale while creating new panic. The epicenter is quite different from the original epicenter which is a signal the entire longer fault is unstable. So no one knows if even stronger aftershocks will occur very soon.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cb_haiti...zZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNoYWl0aWFuc2ZsZWU-

As I recall when the New Madrid fault went off in the early 1800's there were strong aftershocks for some 30 years before the fault basically finally locked into place. Which means the strains for another big one are now building towards some future reoccurring event.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
A smaller magnitude quake can cause structures damaged by the original quake but still standing to collapse. While many of those buildings would have had to be torn down anyway, there was probably additional loss of life. What a nightmare.

This should remind us all that whatever our problems are here, we still have it better than the vast majority of the human race.

- wolf

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With all due respects to Haybasusa Rider, this aftershock has done quite a bit of damage, collapsing new buildings, compacting rubble, making it far more difficult to get existing victims out, and worse yet dealing a blow to overall morale while creating new panic. The epicenter is quite different from the original epicenter which is a signal the entire longer fault is unstable. So no one knows if even stronger aftershocks will occur very soon.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cb_haiti...zZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNoYWl0aWFuc2ZsZWU-

As I recall when the New Madrid fault went off in the early 1800's there were strong aftershocks for some 30 years before the fault basically finally locked into place. Which means the strains for another big one are now building towards some future reoccurring event.

That sucks. I had hoped it wouldn't be as bad. Poor bastards need a break.

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004
wow that really sucks...i feel for them...a 5.0 is really scary a 6.0 definitely would do damage especially with already damaged property... :(

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
A smaller magnitude quake can cause structures damaged by the original quake but still standing to collapse. While many of those buildings would have had to be torn down anyway, there was probably additional loss of life. What a nightmare.

This should remind us all that whatever our problems are here, we still have it better than the vast majority of the human race.

- wolf

Great point, wolf. Many people forget that all too often (sometimes even me). :thumbsup:

MrMatt

Banned
Mar 3, 2009

This quake reminds me somewhat of the 1755 Lisbon quake. This was actually the quake that started modern seismology, by Immanuel Kant (the famous philosopher) of all people. A quote:

Eighty-five percent of Lisbon's buildings were destroyed, including famous palaces and libraries, as well as most examples of Portugal's distinctive 16th-century Manueline architecture. Several buildings that had suffered little earthquake damage were destroyed by the subsequent fire. The new Opera House, opened just six months before (named the Phoenix Opera), burned to the ground. The Royal Ribeira Palace, which stood just beside the Tagus river in the modern square of Terreiro do Paço, was destroyed by the earthquake and tsunami. Inside, the 70,000-volume royal library as well as hundreds of works of art, including paintings by Titian, Rubens, and Correggio, were lost. The royal archives disappeared together with detailed historical records of explorations by Vasco da Gama and other early navigators. The earthquake also damaged major churches in Lisbon, namely the Lisbon Cathedral, the Basilicas of São Paulo, Santa Catarina, São Vicente de Fora, and the Misericordia Church. The Royal Hospital of All Saints (the largest public hospital at the time) in the Rossio square was consumed by fire and hundreds of patients burned to death. The tomb of national hero Nuno Álvares Pereira was also lost. Visitors to Lisbon may still walk the ruins of the Carmo Convent, which were preserved to remind Lisboners of the destruction.

The concept of the sublime, though it existed before 1755, was developed in philosophy and elevated to greater importance by Immanuel Kant, in part as a result of his attempts to comprehend the enormity of the Lisbon quake and tsunami. Kant published three separate texts on the Lisbon earthquake. The young Kant, fascinated with the earthquake, collected all the information available to him in news pamphlets, and used it to formulate a theory of the causes of earthquakes. Kant's theory, which involved the shifting of huge subterranean caverns filled with hot gases, was (though ultimately shown to be false) one of the first systematic modern attempts to explain earthquakes by positing natural, rather than supernatural, causes. According to Walter Benjamin, Kant's slim early book on the earthquake "probably represents the beginnings of scientific geography in Germany. And certainly the beginnings of seismology."

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The USA has been relatively lucky regarding earthquake damage. Our entire east coast is
vulnerable if the Canary Islands collapse and create a Tsunami. The damage due to a repeat of the New Madrid fault going would be incredible now but minor when it went before the area was populated. Our entire West Coast is extremely vulnerable. Not only from Major shakes along the San Andras fault, but also from Tsunami damage off the coast of Oregon and Washington. We have had some major quakes in Alaska but escaped major damage due to lack of population.

As it is the two biggies in our 200 year USA history were the 1906 San Fransisco quake and Mount Saint Helen's. How much longer will our luck hold? And don't even let us speculate if Yellowstone ever goes off again.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
A large amount of the damage in 1906 was fire related and also caused by attempts to stop the fires using dynamite.

Seismic standards for new construction and retrofits to existing should mitigate the worst of the effects. The place will be fucked up for sure but it won't entail the massive loss of life it would have 50 years ago.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Does this mean that the first quake didn't inflict as much damage as God intended, so he brought down another one to finish the job?

Only Pat Robertson knows for sure.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
2012 is coming..isn't it? This is the start of the end! [said chicken little]

But seriously - this is freakin insanely terribad,

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
I am so sick of this shit. Watching MSNBC right now and they are bitching because not enough aid is reaching people and trying to fault the US military.

The US should just say fuck it. If the world doesn't appreciate our help than we should simply stop giving it to other countries.