Hair stylist exposed nearly 100 people to coronavirus

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I didn't cut my hair (or have it cut) for ~25+ years. I cut my own now, don't need no stinkin' (sheddin') stylist.
I'm hoping that the base barbers will open up soon as they're across the street from my office so I should be able to get over there during the day and get one. :D

May 13, 2009
Clippers from sally beauty supply $90 and got curbside delivery. Probably never setting foot in a salon again.
You guys didn't get the memo? Virus is gone. Mission accomplished.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There's a lot of denial as to the true extent of our predicament. The lockdowns just let us stall for time. They're not sustainable. The virus didn't go away, either. As we try to open up, there will be a lot of mistakes & much more widespread infection. Just the way it is. The best we can hope for is that all the people who need critical care can get it, otherwise the mortality rate will jump up strongly.
One advantage to lockdowns, flattening the curve, extending things is that it gives people time to learn about this pandemic. It's complicated and like they keep saying, we don't know a lot about this, we're just learning about it. As time goes one, we learn more. The metrics... how long it survives, how it's most transmissible, the smart things to do to minimize the chances of your being infected, how to not infect others, what to do if you are infected. Also, the facilities for testing and treatment are continuing to develop. People will hopefully become more reasonable, not less. So many things will hopefully improve over time. All the time, we're getting closer to vaccines being available. Of course, as you say, staying below the ceiling limit of being able to handle the case load is a major reason for flattening the curve. But there's plenty of other good reasons too. Also, the less stressed the system is, the better treatment people will get. At the height of the pandemic in NYC, 80+% of people who got ventilated died! That figure's been halved, I believe.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Unfortunately a large amount of people will watch 20 seconds of this video and then make the following quote.
Well, there's not much you can do with people who refuse to learn and just turn away from anything that will expand their minds and horizons. Beware of the zombie apocalypse, it's coming for YOU!

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Saw a stat yesterday that the R0 factor they have now for SARS-CoV-2 is about 3. That, the pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic spread and the prevailing pneumonia aspect of the disease are what makes this pandemic such a bitch. Also, the fact that this pathogen causes a wider range of attack on the human body than any other in history, per this M.D.:

With such a large sample of close contact, and I would assume worst case in terms of proximity (above), I would like to see if the results jive with medical consensus. I doubt we will be told.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I have a good friend that is a stylist and owns a decent sized salon here in MKE. Even after the shelter-at-home order was overturned he's keeping his salon closed. He's working his way to re-opening with EXTREME changes in how virtually everything is done in his shop. He's re-arranged the whole place, putting guards between each station. Completely revamped his reception area. NO waiting inside. My wife is actually busy sewing dozens and dozens of masks for his staff and the independent stylists that use his facility. It's costing him tons of money and time and headache, but he's doing it right.

There's a RIGHT way to re-open and to begin to conduct business. It just takes some time, consideration, money and patience... and empathy.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
One advantage to lockdowns, flattening the curve, extending things is that it gives people time to learn about this pandemic. It's complicated and like they keep saying, we don't know a lot about this, we're just learning about it. As time goes one, we learn more. The metrics... how long it survives, how it's most transmissible, the smart things to do to minimize the chances of your being infected, how to not infect others, what to do if you are infected. Also, the facilities for testing and treatment are continuing to develop. People will hopefully become more reasonable, not less. So many things will hopefully improve over time. All the time, we're getting closer to vaccines being available. Of course, as you say, staying below the ceiling limit of being able to handle the case load is a major reason for flattening the curve. But there's plenty of other good reasons too. Also, the less stressed the system is, the better treatment people will get. At the height of the pandemic in NYC, 80+% of people who got ventilated died! That figure's been halved, I believe.

I figure that the only reason Trump's America pulls their heads out of their asses will be after a major attitude adjustment from the virus, which is just what we'll get. It's been inevitable all along. Once it reaches criticality there will be little chance of slowing it down much at all. It's a mindless thing incapable of acting any other way.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
I figure that the only reason Trump's America pulls their heads out of their asses will be after a major attitude adjustment from the virus, which is just what we'll get. It's been inevitable all along. Once it reaches criticality there will be little chance of slowing it down much at all. It's a mindless thing incapable of acting any other way.
You seem certain of this, we shall see. You may also include Mario and many other Democratic Northeastern states opening up(s) America.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
My pubic hair has reach 10 inches. Another 2 in. or so I hope to be able to do my shopping necked. I just need to shower now and blow my nose when I get back because I've let my nose hair grow too and it now works better than a HEPA filter.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You seem certain of this, we shall see. You may also include Mario and many other Democratic Northeastern states opening up(s) America.

Trump's America is a state of mind, not a geographic location. It varies only in intensity from place to place. They've been led to believe a lot of things that aren't true, and their attitude about Covid-19 is just part of it. Trump made it part of his political movement. Covid-19 moves in with the Liberation & it's capable of moving quite quickly, exponential spread being what it is. Left uncontrolled, the number of new cases will double every 6 days or so in an urban environment, slower where interpersonal contact is less. So let's slow it way down, to doubling once a month. If we have 10K new cases per day now, that turns into 320K new cases per day at the end of October. That's just what the math says. It will be extremely difficult to open up the economy & create a higher but still under control infection rate than we have today. It may not even be possible, but we're going to find out rather shortly.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
With such a large sample of close contact, and I would assume worst case in terms of proximity (above), I would like to see if the results jive with medical consensus. I doubt we will be told.
Were the stylists and/or their customers wearing masks?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Unless I see signs that I'm pretty safe out there I'm staying the fuck home.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If we have 10K new cases per day now, that turns into 320K new cases per day at the end of October. That's just what the math says. It will be extremely difficult to open up the economy & create a higher but still under control infection rate than we have today. It may not even be possible, but we're going to find out rather shortly.
How shortly are you thinking? 2-3 weeks or a couple of months?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My pubic hair has reach 10 inches. Another 2 in. or so I hope to be able to do my shopping necked. I just need to shower now and blow my nose when I get back because I've let my nose hair grow too and it now works better than a HEPA filter.
You used to go to a salon to get your pubes trimmed? :oops:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Tsk tsk.....I broke out my Philips clippers and did some manscaping so birds wouldn't try to nest on me. :p

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Were the stylists and/or their customers wearing masks?
The report said all masks all the time in the shop during that period. The follow up report says Missouri has "offered" tests to those exposed at no charge. I doubt we will see that data.

Last edited: