Hair stylist exposed nearly 100 people to coronavirus

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

And this is why the south (or any place reopening too quickly) is going to get a nasty 2nd spike. One girl I know is a stylist in MD and is working. I'm not sure if the salon is open or if she's doing house calls. Either way I think it's a bad idea right now.

Also, the stylist was working while symptomatic. Makes me wonder if great clips will be receiving some lawsuits.
I was about to say "WTF is wrong with you, why wouldn't you stay home" but then I remembered this is America, where wage slavery is our way of pleasing the capitalist gods. Can't provide people with quality sick time or they'd never work 🙄

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
But if the stylist kept such detailed records, why be irresponsible to not self quarantine if she travelled. And why work when sick?

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
This will be an interesting perspective when and if we find how many of the 91 test positive.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
One of the salon chains that opened up here last week has shutdown again. I'm growing my hair out and don't care as long as I don't catch Covid-19. Besides that's 4 more trips to the Sonic per month. :p

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
But if the stylist kept such detailed records, why be irresponsible to not self quarantine if she travelled. And why work when sick?
this is MO, run by republicans that don't provide adequate support for workers. they seem to have the magical thinking that business will provide sick-leave when it isn't mandated.

Feb 4, 2009
this is MO, run by republicans that don't provide adequate support for workers. they seem to have the magical thinking that business will provide sick-leave when it isn't mandated.

I don’t think stylists in blue states get sick time either. Hell most non stylist jobs I’ve had don’t offer sick time. They’ll offer disability time for a surgery though.
Also Salon workers typically are 1099 type workers. Minimal base pay majority of earning is based upon tips.
Personally I find it bullshit that in my State the stylist needs to buy their own working tools. That’s nuts, I get the point that each stylist has their own preferences but come on the shop could supply some basic clippers, scissors, spray bottles in addition.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I've been reading some concern that there won't be enough spread of virus in the US to test vaccine candidates rapidly this summer.

Not really looking like an actual problem TBH.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Is it vanity or stupidity or a deadly mix of both that people will risk their life to get their hair styled, cut, dyed?

So now these 91 stupid/vain people are now infecting how many others?

41-TOFXxEhL._AC_.jpg

Reactions: DarthKyrie

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
One of the salon chains that opened up here last week has shutdown again. I'm growing my hair out and don't care as long as I don't catch Covid-19. Besides that's 4 more trips to the Sonic per month. :p
Finally getting to ponytail length.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I don’t think stylists in blue states get sick time either. Hell most non stylist jobs I’ve had don’t offer sick time. They’ll offer disability time for a surgery though.
Also Salon workers typically are 1099 type workers. Minimal base pay majority of earning is based upon tips.
Personally I find it bullshit that in my State the stylist needs to buy their own working tools. That’s nuts, I get the point that each stylist has their own preferences but come on the shop could supply some basic clippers, scissors, spray bottles in addition.

I figure it's like being a professional mechanic. Having your own tools comes with the territory.

Feb 4, 2009
I figure it's like being a professional mechanic. Having your own tools comes with the territory.

Yeah I get that and I’m sure everyone has their own preference. I’m just saying it bothers the crap out of me. Salon (or Garage) should supply a basic set of tools to get the job done if they choose to use something else that’s fine.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I live in a red state and the population is dropping its guard as the president tells them its OK to go out without a mask and social distancing. Going shopping these days is a harrowing experience to say the least as more and more people pretend that nothing is wrong.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
What can you say....
Just today one of my Trumpie family woke up with a sore throat, fever, and joint pain. She went to the clinic but was unable to get tested. The clinic gave her antibiotics. Sent her home. She is one of those Trumpies that just last week sent out a selfie of her and her family dining out at a restaurant. She always posts on FB comparing coronavirus deaths with deaths from traffic accidents to minimize the virus deaths. She compares wearing a mask to threatening her constitutional rights. She refuses to shop in any store that requires wearing a mask. She was one of those Trumpies that bitched about church closing while Walmart’s were still open. And she posts FB love letters to Donald Trump and the wonderful job that she claims trump is doing. And how poor Donald Trump is so picked on. And THATS just the start of it. It will make you sick reading her FB postings damming the Democrats and labeling the virus all hoax with faked inflated deaths numbers and faked infections numbers. And now.... she is sick and can’t even get a test despite our F..king Republican governor claiming ANYONE THAT WANTS A TEST CAN GET ONE.

She is the kind of Trump loyalist that even if she got a test she wouldn’t tell anyone.And especially if that test came back positive. She would hide that information to protect herself from the “I told you so” FB attackers. But what really pisses me off from all of this.... she put her children at risk by dragging them out to a public restaurant.and now she has several of the symptoms of COVID 19.

• Wow
Reactions: Muse

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This will be an interesting perspective when and if we find how many of the 91 test positive.
Saw a stat yesterday that the R0 factor they have now for SARS-CoV-2 is about 3. That, the pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic spread and the prevailing pneumonia aspect of the disease are what makes this pandemic such a bitch. Also, the fact that this pathogen causes a wider range of attack on the human body than any other in history, per this M.D.:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I didn't cut my hair (or have it cut) for ~25+ years. I cut my own now, don't need no stinkin' (sheddin') stylist.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This has proven an excellent opportunity to try and grow out my facial hair.

I've also, coincidentally, learned that some people just were never meant to have facial hair.
Masks work better without facial hair, FYI.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
There's a lot of denial as to the true extent of our predicament. The lockdowns just let us stall for time. They're not sustainable. The virus didn't go away, either. As we try to open up, there will be a lot of mistakes & much more widespread infection. Just the way it is. The best we can hope for is that all the people who need critical care can get it, otherwise the mortality rate will jump up strongly.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Saw a stat yesterday that the R0 factor they have now for SARS-CoV-2 is about 3. That, the pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic spread and the prevailing pneumonia aspect of the disease are what makes this pandemic such a bitch. Also, the fact that this pathogen causes a wider range of attack on the human body than any other in history, per this M.D.:

Unfortunately a large amount of people will watch 20 seconds of this video and then make the following quote.
Well, that's only because he was looking at dead people. Most people survive it so therefore muppets and such. My cousin sneezed last month which means he had the covid and he's fine now. What people really should be talking about is all the people who are going to die because of lockdowns and being sad about the lock downs!!!"