Hahaha...oops

Juice Box

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2003
heh I was fixing my friends computer just now and it kept rebooting (i assumed the CPU was getting hot) so i went to take off the heatsink to take a look....i unclamp the sides and go to pull it up but it will not budge....I pull and pull and eventually POP....the CPU gets ripped out with it....I guess the suction and stickyness of the thermal pad stuck them together...I finnaly worked off the CPU and sure enough there were plenty of spots with no paste.....but it was scary as hell seeing that CPU rip out of the socket....without even lifting that side bar!! :Q

Juice Box

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Kenazo
Didn't leave any pins in the socket I hope.

I didnt see any :p.....the socket was messed up too....the CPU didnt go in the socket like on most mobos (gold triangle facing the hinge of the little bar)...which is why I was concerned

Juice Box

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2003
Originally posted by: akubi
:camera:s?

sadly no...it was an emergency fix (I built it for him) that I said id finish last night which I did....was working kinda fast as you can tell :p

mAdMaLuDaWg

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2003
Hah.. thats nothing. A few months ago, my Athlon Mobo died out on me. So being that I have a Soyo Mobo that I received FAR, I decided to try out a Pentium for the first time. Now, I've never put together a Pentium before so after I get it, I put it into the mobo and power it up and only the fan starts spinning. I tried pulling out everything one by one and finally came to the conclusion that it was the mobo. So I went ahead and purchased another P4 mobo... sure enough, I don't even get a power up with this mobo. So I'm switching the processor back and 4th between mobos trying to figure out whats wrong... well, I figured it out eventually. There is an extra 4 pin socket that is required to have a PS connection to it (Athlon's only have on connection to the PS) :eek:... so glad that I finally figure it out, I try again with the Soyo mobo and nothing.. it must be the Soyo mobo thats bad right?So I take the processor out and I'm about to put it in the new mobo... and then I realized that the pins somehow got bent and one broken in the process of me switching out and in of the mobos. Now I'm really pissed at myself.. coz I'm SOL on $200 for the P4 processor. Anywayz, I decided that the best I could do is RMA it to Intel and hope for the best. Luckily they accepted it (after I talked to them on the phone explaining the situation) and I had a new one shipped to me the same week (Yay! for Intel :D). Put it into the Soyo mobo with all connections right and it works :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:... in the end I was so freakin pissed at myself for being such a n00btard.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by: mAdMaLuDaWg
Hah.. thats nothing. A few months ago, my Athlon Mobo died out on me. So being that I have a Soyo Mobo that I received FAR, I decided to try out a Pentium for the first time. Now, I've never put together a Pentium before so after I get it, I put it into the mobo and power it up and only the fan starts spinning. I tried pulling out everything one by one and finally came to the conclusion that it was the mobo. So I went ahead and purchased another P4 mobo... sure enough, I don't even get a power up with this mobo. So I'm switching the processor back and 4th between mobos trying to figure out whats wrong... well, I figured it out eventually. There is an extra 4 pin socket that is required to have a PS connection to it (Athlon's only have on connection to the PS) :eek:... so glad that I finally figure it out, I try again with the Soyo mobo and nothing.. it must be the Soyo mobo thats bad right?So I take the processor out and I'm about to put it in the new mobo... and then I realized that the pins somehow got bent and one broken in the process of me switching out and in of the mobos. Now I'm really pissed at myself.. coz I'm SOL on $200 for the P4 processor. Anywayz, I decided that the best I could do is RMA it to Intel and hope for the best. Luckily they accepted it and I had a new one shipped to me the same week (Yay! for Intel :D). Put it into the Soyo mobo with all connections right and it works :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:... in the end I was so freakin pissed at myself for being such a n00btard.

And a fraudulent RMAer.

Juice Box

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2003
Hah.. thats nothing. A few months ago, my Athlon Mobo died out on me. So being that I have a Soyo Mobo that I received FAR, I decided to try out a Pentium for the first time. Now, I've never put together a Pentium before so after I get it, I put it into the mobo and power it up and only the fan starts spinning. I tried pulling out everything one by one and finally came to the conclusion that it was the mobo. So I went ahead and purchased another P4 mobo... sure enough, I don't even get a power up with this mobo. So I'm switching the processor back and 4th between mobos trying to figure out whats wrong... well, I figured it out eventually. There is an extra 4 pin socket that is required to have a PS connection to it (Athlon's only have on connection to the PS) :eek:... so glad that I finally figure it out, I try again with the Soyo mobo and nothing.. it must be the Soyo mobo thats bad right?So I take the processor out and I'm about to put it in the new mobo... and then I realized that the pins somehow got bent and one broken in the process of me switching out and in of the mobos. Now I'm really pissed at myself.. coz I'm SOL on $200 for the P4 processor. Anywayz, I decided that the best I could do is RMA it to Intel and hope for the best. Luckily they accepted it and I had a new one shipped to me the same week (Yay! for Intel :D). Put it into the Soyo mobo with all connections right and it works :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:... in the end I was so freakin pissed at myself for being such a n00btard.

haha yeah....Id love to have seen my face when that CPU was freaking ripped out...I was just like 'oh....sh!t, good going fvck face" :p

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003

And a fraudulent RMAer.

mAdMaLuDaWg

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2003
Umm... I had to talk to the guys at Intel on the phone before I RMAd it and he said it was ok this one time after I explained the situation to him.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
Umm... I had to talk to the guys at Intel on the phone before I RMAd it and he said it was ok this one time after I explained the situation to him.

Well, if they ok'd it then I'll withdraw my fraudulent RMA'er charges. :)

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
same thing happened to the Athlon64 3000+ in my machine now. Luckily only 2 pins were bent and I was able to straighten it out.

Juice Box

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2003
Originally posted by: JoeKing
same thing happened to the Athlon64 3000+ in my machine now. Luckily only 2 pins were bent and I was able to straighten it out.

well i see no reason the pins woulda been bent....but the fact it just pulled out scared the poop outta me

mAdMaLuDaWg

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2003

Yeah.. u shouldn't rush to judgement without knowing all the facts :)

Biggerhammer

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2003

*GASP* you mean, an ATOT'er not leaping to the conclusion that every other upright biped on Earth is a n00b? :D

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000

Quit judging me for judging you.

Horus

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Tiamat

And a fraudulent RMAer.

Roffles, and :cookie: for using my word! I never knew Noobtard would catch on...

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

And a fraudulent RMAer.

Considering Intel exchanged the processor, he's not a fraudulent RMAer.

mAdMaLuDaWg

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Horus

And a fraudulent RMAer.

Roffles, and :cookie: for using my word! I never knew Noobtard would catch on...

Ummm n00btard was used WAYYY before you used it on AT
... but i guess you deserve credit for bringing it to ATOT :D