HAF XB with ryzen 2600X need cooling suggestion

bleuless

Jul 25, 2001
Thinking of AIO water, goal is to get some OC out of it with my corsair ddr4 3000 ram on gigabyte aorus gamer 5 wifi.

I am a frugal person, so looking for best bang for the buck, no RGB nonsense, current rig is a 5+ year old phenon 9850 (i think), to give you a sense of my frugality :)

was thinking/looking at thermaltake water 3 refurb, but that is gone...
will 240mm AIO be good and worth it? hoping to spend under $100

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
A cheap 240 AIO <$100 won't cool much, if any better, than a number of cheaper good air coolers. And a good air cooler will help keep the vrms cool too. While being 12-20dB quieter than an AIO.

If you're willing to mod the XB, it can be tweaked to provide clean front-to-back air flow.

In the sub $100 range, I'm an airhead and suggest:

Thermalright Le Grand Macho at $79 (280W TDP)

Noctua D15 SE-AM4 (or the D15S)

In the actual frugal range, there's:

Scythe Fuma at $46.99 that is very close to top tier air. (O/C'd it tied with the AC 240 AIO - HardOp review)

Thermalright Macho Rev B for $49.90

The only cheap AIO that I can tolerate is the Arctic Cooling 240 at $89.99, since it has reasonably quiet fans in a push/pull setup.

The truly frugal would select the Fuma or Macho Rev B, because it's both far cheaper and will last far longer than an AIO.
Have fun with the new, extravagant build! Assume you saved up for years or are you just renting the ddr4? ;-)

Reactions: bleuless

bleuless

Jul 25, 2001
Have fun with the new, extravagant build! Assume you saved up for years or are you just renting the ddr4? ;-)
thank you so much, more thinking for me to do.
as for the ddr4, I kinda just bend over as I walked into microcenter. It was on a whim, I knew microcenter has solid CPU MB combo deal, and the sales guy talked me into buying the ram there. I was visiting on vacation, and now am 6+ hours away from that store. it wasn't the best deal for the ram, but I needed a stable 3000 for oc anyways.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I love my H100i AIO cooler. Keeps my 4.5GHz 4690K very cool (in the 52-56C range under full load), and its quiet enough that it can barely be heard, even in my tiny case. There are some very good air coolers out there too. But I have been happy with this setup.

bleuless

Jul 25, 2001
I just got the arctic freezer aio, I finally decided I can’t live with the huge air style sitting there and probably blocking ram and things. Also hoping this aio can be used in other set up once I upgrade. Air tends to live with cpu model cycles