Haf X Owners help

SlowEJ8

Jan 6, 2011
Sorry for the novice questions to you Haf X owners..
New to this tech+

1.Where do i plug in the connectors for the front 230mm LED Fan?

2. On the I/O Panel there is a 'black and red' wire connector, not sure what that's for, where do i plug this in?

3. There is a connector that says '1394' Where do I plug that into, and what does it do?

4. Are you guys powering your fans through the PSU? If not why?

5. And I'm reading that you can power all the fans through the mobo, what is the advantages for that? I have a Asus P8P67 Pro for reference.

Thanks, and appreciate it guys.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
If you have a fan controller, you can hook the fans up to that through 3 or 4 pin connectors (little ones). Or, you can use 3 pin connectors (maybe 4 pin) to connect straight to your motherboard, so that the board can automatically control the fans when your case gets hotter.
1394 is for the "Firewire" port on front, it's sort of like USB but fatter and not as long. It goes on the 1394 Jumpers on your board, refer to your motherboard manual as it should have a layout of all the pins and jumpers on the board.
You can connect your fans directly to your PSU if it has enough power, and if you want them to run on high all the time. Use the larger 4 pin molex power connections from your PSU to do this.
Not sure about the black and red IO wire(?), any cables from the front panel of the case should be marked, probably has somewhere to go on your motherboard. Hope this helps.

Edit: btw, the front 230mm fan can connect directly to the power supply. I recommend just running them full power since they're quiet and really not that powerful. They don't need to be throttled.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'm not an "X" owner, 932 instead, but here goes...

1) I hook my front fan to the motherboard. The supplied wiring is plenty long enough in my system.

2) The red/black wires should have printing on the end plugs. What does it say? PROBABLY for the on/off switch.

3)the 1394 connector will connect to the 1394 connectors on your motherboard.

4) I only use the PSU wiring to power the side panel fan. The motherboard has enough connectors for the rest of the fans. The only reason I use the PSU for power is for ease in disconnecting the side panel fan for maintenance.

5) With some fans/motherboards, the CPU/motherboard can control the fan speeds as needed. However, with 3-pin fans, that control doesn't always work...in my case, all fans run at 100%.

Here's the manual in case you don't have it:
http://coolermaster-usa.com/upload/download/208/files/HAF X-manual.pdf

SlowEJ8

Jan 6, 2011
That was a lot of help, Thanks!

The 230mm LED has its own connector, but i'm not sure where to plug it in(mobo? most likely?)

And The Red/blackwire doesn't have anything description on it, its a rather short wire as well.

Also: the case comes with an AC 97', and HD Audio '2 in 1' wire but i guess it allows me to only connect one? What's with that?

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
That was a lot of help, Thanks!

The 230mm LED has its own connector, but i'm not sure where to plug it in(mobo? most likely?)

And The Red/blackwire doesn't have anything description on it, its a rather short wire as well.

Also: the case comes with an AC 97', and HD Audio '2 in 1' wire but i guess it allows me to only connect one? What's with that?

If you have a spare fan header on the board, go ahead and use it...if not, use a molex connector.

Looking at this pic, I don't see a black/red wire:
http://images.tweaktown.com/content/3/3/3305_22_full.jpg

In fact, the only black/red wire I see is for the motherboard speaker...

3305_23_full.jpg

Truthslayer

Dec 21, 2010
As a recent HAF X owner, I may as well throw my hat in here. The front 230mm fan has two connectors. By default (for me, anyway), the one set that actually powers the fan was already connected to a molex adapter, so I left that alone and just plugged it in. The other connector (red/black) was already attached to a cable running up to the I/O panel, which was connected to the top push button next the power switch. This is to turn the fan LEDs off and on while the fan is running.

Hope this helps.

alaricljs

Golden Member
May 11, 2005

The HD Audio standard replaces the AC `97 standard. You're only going to have 1 of them on your mobo depending on the age of the mobo... you have a new mobo, it has HD Audio.

SlowEJ8

Jan 6, 2011
Figured out all the wiring problems, thanks guys! red/black wire turned out to be for the off/on LED fan -.-

Anyone here mod other lights to that off/on wire? If so is it dangerous to wire 'too much'?

barinthus

Mar 9, 2012
Figured out all the wiring problems, thanks guys! red/black wire turned out to be for the off/on LED fan -.-

Anyone here mod other lights to that off/on wire? If so is it dangerous to wire 'too much'?

My apologizes if this is considering necro-threading.

I'm having the same problem actually. Like the OP I have HAF-X and I was sorting out cables to organize them before closing up the case when I noticed this short red-black cable dangling from the front panel. This cable was unmarked so I'm not sure where to connect it to. It also had two pins instead of three which was what I was becoming accustomed to.

I suspect it's something to do with LED lights which is entirely optional but hey it's there so I want to hook it up so if I want to pretty up my case, I can.

It's not long enough to reach the mobo so I'm totally puzzled here.

Basically my question is where was it supposed to go.

Hope you guys can help - thanks!

EDIT: Never mind - I resolved my problem. It never fails me, no matter how much time I spend researching into something, whenever I ask someone, I find the answer nearly right away.

here's a picture of where that cable was supposed to go. The one I was talking about was the black/red cable dangling on the far left of the picture. You're to hook it up to the front fan.

coolermasterhafx5.jpg

In case the pic does not show, here's a link... just in case if someone else was having the same problem

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2010/07/cooler-master-haf-x-review/coolermasterhafx5.jpg

Last edited: