Hades Canyon NUC for a console user

KrzanBit

Jun 23, 2018
Hello there
I've been using consoles my whole life , but I'd like for that to change (30fps at 1080pmedium is boring ) , after doing some research and watching a few reviews I think I found my perfect console killer the Hades Canyon NUC with 8809G , it's pretty expensive though and I'd like to ask a few questions if possible
1.Is the fact that's it's a quadcore with Hyperthreading a bottleneck at my desired settings 1080p60 high/ultra?
2.Can the vega m GH push that kind of settings at 60 fps?
3.Is 4gb hbm2 enough for 1080p gaming?
4.Will I be fine with 16gb of ram and a 256 nvme ssd?
Anyways I just wanted to ask this here as I'm very new to pc gaming and I honestly have no idea what I'm doing . Thanks in advance

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
You may want to look at mini-itx systems or roll your own. With a slightly larger case, you could squeeze in a true discreet PCI-express graphics card. PC gaming allows the flexibility to upgrade your components over time and use the latest and greatest hardware. A 3 or 4 generation old processor can still play games fine when paired with a newer graphics card.

That NUC is a whole lot of money and I would guess you could build a really impressive machine with only a slightly larger footprint.

KrzanBit

Jun 23, 2018
You may want to look at mini-itx systems or roll your own. With a slightly larger case, you could squeeze in a true discreet PCI-express graphics card. PC gaming allows the flexibility to upgrade your components over time and use the latest and greatest hardware. A 3 or 4 generation old processor can still play games fine when paired with a newer graphics card.

That NUC is a whole lot of money and I would guess you could build a really impressive machine with only a slightly larger footprint.

Yep , but a NUC is basically plug and play like a console.

Feb 25, 2011

Nah. You want to join the PCMR, go all in. ;-)

Building a PC is not as hard as some people pretend. Arguing about this part vs. that part is half the "fun" of this forum, but most of them are 95% the same for plus or minus a couple bucks. Ignore the noise. Assembly is on par with Lego kits.

Something like this should run rings around the NUC for about the same price*, even if it is slightly bigger than a four-slot bagel toaster: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/k7fLyX

*And that's why we build our own instead of buying consoles or SFF prebuilts.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013

Except for having to open it up to install RAM and Storage (and no, a 256Gb is unlikely to be sufficient), then install an OS. If you can do that, you could install a video card too. You haven't mentioned any games, but no, it won't play all games at 1080p60 Ultra.