Had my first (potential) Hard Drive failure in more than 16 years of PC ownership.

Jman13

Apr 9, 2001
I got my first computer (that was truly mine), in the summer of 1996. I've had probably 20 hard drives over the course of time from then until now, and none had ever failed. Some even lasted for 8-10 years before I retired them due to speed/size. And, well, it still might be OK...but I'm not risking it.

A few weeks ago, I noticed one of my drives not passing the SMART diagnostic at boot, but after error checking, nothing wrong was found. Then yesterday, I noticed movies playing off this drive were stuttering, which should NOT happen on my machine. I had a feeling the drive was going, so I started copying the few directories on the drive I hadn't backed up recently, and my transfer speeds were...get this...500 KB/sec. I started backing up a 68GB folder with a bunch of movies to another hard drive this morning. When I got home from work, it was 50% done. A check with HD Tune showed reallocated sectors.

So, I bought a new 2TB drive today (the one with issues was 500GB), along with a USB3 enclosure (had been wanting one for a while), and swapped them out. I also replaced the SATA cable at the same time, just in case that was the culprit.

Well, with the 'failing' drive in my enclosure, I'm copying the files to the new hard drive, and now, I'm getting 120 MB/sec transfer. :) So, I guess it's probable it was the cable...but I don't really trust the drive any more. And hey...I needed some extra space anyway.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
lol, lucky. I've been through quite a few hard drives over the years. My last 2 that failed were Enterprise drives. I always keep 2 extra HD's with all my collected data on both.

Jman13

Apr 9, 2001
Yeah, I have been lucky. I have a cloud backup with Crashplan of all my important data (1.8 TB worth), so I always have a current backup, since it updates automatically and uploads any changed or new files. I also have several off-site backups from old hard drives, and an external hard drive that backs up more critical stuff short term in the house. I burn blu-rays of my best photos (I'm a photographer) about once or twice a year, and keep those off site as well.