Had my first dentist visit in ten+ years yesterday.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
I went in for a checkup because I had a pain in my lower right jaw where my wisdom teeth would be. Expending to hear the worst because of my lack of dental visits and the simple fact that I don?t take care of my teeth very well, brush only once a day. I find out after my exam that all I needed was a cleaning. The x-rays didn?t even show any signs of my wisdom teeth and no reason behind the pain in my jaw, it only lasted three days. The dental technician said she was surprised at how little tarter build I had for ten+ years of no cleaning and only brushing.

I just can?t believe how blessed I am. :D

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Good solid brushing once/twice a day will keep most problems at bay.

Your wisdoms are already out, so the major potential problem has been extracted.

Ogg

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2003
did it hurt and was there lots of blood? :p

I too have been slack in the dental dept and was shocked recently when I took my son in for a cleanign and there was no spit sink there. Now they rely only on the vacuum suction thing. Thats no fun
I remember having huge gobs of blood and spit stringing from my mouth to the little sink.

<------------Had alot of work done when I was younger

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Ogg

I too have been slack in the dental dept and was shocked recently when I took my son in for a cleanign and there was no spit sink there. Now they rely only on the vacuum suction thing. Thats no fun
I remember having huge gobs of blood and spit stringing from my mouth to the little sink.

I just went recently after a prolonged lapse as well.. they used suction for everything but after all was said and done they still had a spit tank to just rinse out risidual leftovers.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Heh, I've been meaning to schedule an appointment because I have a tooth that has most of the crown missing. Lately I've just been dead after work. For a while I was worried about not having a job the next day.

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
im afraid to go ... it's been a while only because i didnt have insurance when i wasnt working. now i am but im still lazy. anyways, i see some tartar building up, how can i remove it?

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I'm better now (about visiting more often), but, for a while there it was like quixfire's situation for me. So far, no major dental problems, all I've ever needed is cleaning--and a repair for a chipped tooth or two.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
Good solid brushing once/twice a day will keep most problems at bay.

Your wisdoms are already out, so the major potential problem has been extracted.
My wisdom teeth have never been pulled. They have not come in and most likely won't according to the dentist.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Ogg

It wasn't too bad, I winced a few times and there was some blood. The surprising thing to me was how clean my teeth looked afterwards. I even went back and personal thanked the technician for a job well done. :)

Crazymofo

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
I havent gone in over 6 years:( Not looking forward to going but im gonna need to very soon!

badmouse

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2003
Yeah, I stopped going when I stopped having dental insurance. Then I went back a few months ago because I had a lot of pain. Not too expensive to fix, and the rest of my teeth were better than expected.

The bad part is that all my dental work from before has to be redone because it's wearing out (crowns, etc). But there's no hurry and he'll do a long-time bill thing so I can afford it.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
You're disgusting. You need to brush twice a day and get a checkup once every six months.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
There are just some people, like myself, even though they don't go to see a dentist for a year or two everything checks out to be fine.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: nebula
Originally posted by: Quixfire
I even went back and personal thanked the technician for a job well done. :)

Why, because she was cute?
No because she did a good job and was nice enough to explain what she was doing.

Baboy

Jan 14, 2004
I just had 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled out; it is the worst thing I have even felt

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
I go like every 6 months for a cleaning. I hate going there and I always have a decent amount of build up but no caveties for the most part. I brush twice a day at least and my teeth are super small and my gums are always puffy so it sucks.