Had a weird conversation with a customer today

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
So a little background. I own a small retail greenhouse/garden center. I carry some landscape items in bulk like mulch, rock, and top soil which I sell by the cubic yard.
Anyway, I had a couple approach one of my cashiers today asking how much topsoil it would take to fill a 2'x4'x8" hole. She is new so she called me over to help give them the right amount they would need. I told them it would take about 1 to 1.5 cubic yards to fill the hole but explained that with the rains and snow we recently had that my topsoil pile is a little wet and that they might want to look at it first. So this guys wife starts asking about bagged soil instead. They go back and forth for a bit but he seems more interested in the bulk soil because of the price difference. She keeps nagging a little bit about the bagged soil instead of going with the bulk.
That's when he turns to her and says "Moms not gonna be any less dead tomorrow."

The conversation just stopped right there and it got real quiet. I didn't know what to say and my cashiers jaw just dropped.

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
Well? You forgot the best part of the story! Did you make the sale?

Nov 20, 2009
So a little background. I own a small retail greenhouse/garden center. I carry some landscape items in bulk like mulch, rock, and top soil which I sell by the cubic yard.
Anyway, I had a couple approach one of my cashiers today asking how much topsoil it would take to fill a 2'x4'x8" hole. She is new so she called me over to help give them the right amount they would need. I told them it would take about 1 to 1.5 cubic yards to fill the hole but explained that with the rains and snow we recently had that my topsoil pile is a little wet and that they might want to look at it first. So this guys wife starts asking about bagged soil instead. They go back and forth for a bit but he seems more interested in the bulk soil because of the price difference. She keeps nagging a little bit about the bagged soil instead of going with the bulk.
That's when he turns to her and says "Moms not gonna be any less dead tomorrow."

The conversation just stopped right there and it got real quiet. I didn't know what to say and my cashiers jaw just dropped.
Two feet by Four feet by Eight inches (2/3 feet) is 5.36 Cubic feet, or roughly 0.2 cubic yards. Why are you trying to sell them a half dozen times what is needed?