Had A Scare Yesterday, And Thought My Fridge Was Dying

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I don't even know what brand my fridge is. I don't see any logos with a quick look, but it's probably a kenmore. I think it's from some time in the 80s. The only "feature" it has is an ice maker, and that was disconnected decades ago. It's exactly what I want in a fridge. Cold on the bottom, colder up top, and no pcboards.

So you are looking for something without an electronic control board?
How much would you like your electric bill to go up with that steampunk fridge you're chasing?

Refrigerator shopping sucks. We went through that crap not too long ago.
No matter how great it is at first, at some point it will disappoint you.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
So you are looking for something without an electronic control board?
How much would you like your electric bill to go up with that steampunk fridge you're chasing?

Refrigerator shopping sucks. We went through that crap not too long ago.
No matter how great it is at first, at some point it will disappoint you.
My electric bill is lower than most. This is my last report...

98nVB06.png

When it's cooler out, I'm usually 50%-75% better than my "efficient" neighbors. I don't really care about a couple extra dollars of energy a year. Bulletproof reliability is more important. Aside from that, a lot of "efficient" crap is just deferring, and deflecting energy use. I guess it doesn't count if someone else is polluting *their* air and water. How much energy does it take to make a new fridge? How much does it cost to ship parts from China? Whoops! No parts. How much energy is it to make a fridge again?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I don't see how PCBs would make a different with hydro bill. A very basic fridge just needs a thermostat and a relay or two. MAYBE a PCB to act as a power supply or motor controller, at most but lot of compressors just run on straight 120v so don't really need anything too fancy. In a perfect world smart appliances would just use off the shelf PLC and DIN components in a little cabinet on the back and be fully serviceable and also have a standard interface like ethernet and do SNMP or have a telnet console. To me, if I'm paying over a grand for something, this is the kind of quality I would expect and I would expect to be able to keep it for a good chunk of my life time which means 20 years down the line I should still be able to get parts for it and the smart features should be usable because they use something standard. Unfortunately that's not what they give us though.

The idea behind smart appliances is ok, it's the implementation that sucks.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Energy efficient just means it'll get tossed after 15 years or sooner and maybe someone or the government trash pickup recycles the compressor and piping for a a buck per pound.....

There's go sexy green. Then there's going scavenger green. The bourgeois educated folks reel their big income and focus only on sexy green. Scavenging is no bueno.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I hate that recycling/repairing is even discouraged these days. With no right to repair etc a lot of stuff is built on purpose so you can't fix it, or it's even illegal to fix. Ex: John Deer and Apple stuff, and I'm sure lot of other companies do the same.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I've had 2 situations in recent memory:

1. Door left open on accident
2. Fridge died

I added 3 things to help:

1. A small battery backup, so at least I have something to help, as my rental doesn't have a generator with an ATS switch or anything
2. A temperature monitor with wireless alert
3. A door-handle-left-open alert

The temperature monitor has 2 sensors, one for the freezer & one for the fridge: ($35)

The door-left-open alarm is $22:

I lost hundreds of dollars worth of groceries in both instances, it was terrible. Ponied up a bit to help the issue, so at least I have a heads-up! (UPS beeps upon power loss, temperature monitor has thresholds & beeps when crossed, door sensor beeps when it's left open too long).

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
OP, here. So far so good on my repair around 9 months ago of my big 22 YO Amana bottom freezer fridge. My guess that it was a bad thermostat (I bought and personally installed a new one) proved correct. While working through the problem in a semi-crisis mode I bought a few items: One, Yolink sensors, one for the freezer, another for the refrigerator section, and I can monitor the temperature of either very accurately using their Android app, no need for the primitive devices I used to have to look at by opening the doors. I also use Kasa energy monitoring plugs which tell me how much energy anything is drawing. I have several of those plugs and leave the refrigerator plugged into one. Again, an Android app at a glance tells me if the fridge compressor is on or off.

I used to have issues with the freezer door or refrigerator door being unsealed, but have almost no such problems now. One thing that helps, oddly enough, is that my kitchen floor tilts, which causes the doors to want to shut themselves... unless something is preventing that. I keep an eye on that.

I have no ice maker, it seems like an unnecessary complication of an already pretty complicated device-system. We do have hot spells here, but most of the time it's not hot, and that's year round, so my need of ice is sporadic.

Fingers crossed on not losing food from loss of refrigeration. So far so good for me. My worry on that is pretty much an extended loss of power. To that end I have a generator on my shopping list. What to get and how to use it, install it, maintain it is a research project that I've given some thought and energy but haven't made decisions yet. I figure a consequential earthquake would be the event I am preparing for.

Last edited: