Had a problem watching LOTR tonight...

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
More precisely, listening to it. My HT system includes Definitive Technology powered speakers. If I have he volume adjusted to I can hear the voices, the sound effect are too loud. I mean WAY too loud. Of course if I turn it down to a tolerable level, I couldnt hear what was being said. Anyone else have this problem?

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
The effects are very, very, very loud. My sub is having problems at -15 dB, and it can usually handle all the way to -5 dB on most movies. But with me, everything was just generally loud. Have you tried calibrating your system?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I think I am going to have to adjust the output on the DT's. Nothing else seems to help. Maybe I'll just go on the receiver power alone.

Oct 9, 1999
i havent played it yet.. But i have no worries for my speakers.. rather I worry my neighbours might think there is an earthquake.

I run 200W speakers on a 100W /channel amp.

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: The_good_guy
i havent played it yet.. But i have no worries for my speakers.. rather I worry my neighbours might think there is an earthquake.

I run 200W speakers on a 100W /channel amp.

Whoa say it isn't so!!!! 200W?!?!?!?!
They make them that badass?

Gosh, guess the 300W/chan. speakers I have hooked up to my PC are stadium level?

rolleye.gif

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You guys don't understand wattage, efficiency, etc. at all. My Yamaha receiver is 70w/channel but it will physically damage your ears before coming close to distorting with my Paradigm speakers.

As for your sound problem, it's called dynamic range. Adjust it on your receiver...my receiver has 3 settings, maximum (doesn't alter the original soundtrack at all), Standard (compresses it somewhat) and Minimum (good for late night listening if you have others in the house) which compresses the dynamic range totally...everything will be the same volume.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Paulson
kami, believe me, I know watts don't mean everything, but not even at half way my dj speakers can make my ears hurt very badly...

i don't doubt it but they are made for a different purpose. they'd suck ass for home theater use for example. and of course my speakers would blow ass for DJ use

Paulson

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2001
www.ifixidevices.com
you're absolutely right!

I know, I love our home theater setup...

there's so much audio at our house it's weird.... dj speakers can't deliver the same feeling a good home theater system can dish out, and a ht system wouldn't be able to do half of what a dj system can do...

it's all how you look at it...

arod

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
More precisely, listening to it. My HT system includes Definitive Technology powered speakers. If I have he volume adjusted to I can hear the voices, the sound effect are too loud. I mean WAY too loud. Of course if I turn it down to a tolerable level, I couldnt hear what was being said. Anyone else have this problem?

Do you just have the fronts and center or a whole 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1 system.... I cant remeber if this DVD has a stereo soundtrack on it or not but that could be causing your problems. My brother has your exact problem when he tries to play a 5.1 Dolby Dgital Mix in stereo mode. I know the last few movies he rented only had 5.1 sound for english and had foreign stereo track but again I cant remeber if this has a stereo track.

nitrousninja

Golden Member
Jun 21, 2000
Get an SPL meter at Radio Shack and a calibration DVD to calibrate your system for Dolby Digital or DTS(probably the same though) and you shouldn't have this problem. I did it to my system and have found no issues with that movie or any other when DD is used.

rival

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2001
i watched it last night on dvd, my speakers were going 'in and out' really quick, hard to explain, sounded poor when the movie was crankin out alot of noise...duno whats wrong

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
No problems here with my PM 5.1s. Actually I found the dialogue a little loud for my liking.