Hacking Batman:AA to get ATI video cards AA functionality

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Nice find, and it confirms AA quality is the same on the Radeon after the hack is applied, proving there?s nothing special about the AA implementation that inherently ties it to nVidia.

Also if I read it correctly, patch 1.1 disables the hack. Another example of vendor-lock at it?s finest. :disgust:

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Forgive me my ignorance, but does not the Xbox 360 have EDRAM for its graphics chip almost specifically for enabling AA in games?
And if it has such RAM, then it makes sense (AFAIK) for most developers to use AA in their games to cheaply (performance hit wise) to improve graphics quality.

Now if such supposition is true, would it not make sense for Batman: AA to have such a feature implemented in the Xbox 360 version, and since the Xbox 360 GPU is ATI based, does this mean either they didn't bother with AA at all in the 360 version, or they used this "special" NV code for AA in the Xbox version but disabled it for the PC, or they do have some form of AA that they decided not to/couldn't use in the PC version, or they just went with basic MSAA rather than something more efficient?

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Nice find, and it confirms AA quality is the same on the Radeon after the hack is applied, proving there?s nothing special about the AA implementation that inherently ties it to nVidia.

Also if I read it correctly, patch 1.1 disables the hack. Another example of vendor-lock at it?s finest. :disgust:
Holy crap, really? I guess that confirms everyone's suspicions.

Compddd

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2000
It's a lot easier to just force AA through CCC on my 5870. Looks great too :) Now if they would stop this exclusive PhysX BS all would be well!

dflynchimp

Apr 11, 2007
Originally posted by: Compddd
It's a lot easier to just force AA through CCC on my 5870. Looks great too :) Now if they would stop this exclusive PhysX BS all would be well!

actually ATI is as reluctant to hop on the PhysX boat as Nvidia is reluctant to let them on. Both companies are pushing their prefered variant of gpu physics in yet another gamble to oust the others in the market. In these situations, we the customer are the losers since we can't all have our cake and eat it too.

Nvidia is just as good/bad as ATI, no matter which issue you're standing on.

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
Looks like team red will need to come up with a new fix for the 1.1 patch. You can't say there not trying though!

I LOL at all the people saying ATi didn't help Eidos enough with AA.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
i was gonna get this game but i got a 4850 so no AA, what the heck, they purposely locked out ati cards but lied and say that it was because of some special nvidia routine that can't be duplicated to ati cards, liers!! i say ati owners boycott this game. vendor lock-in is shitty for gaming industries like the SecuRom DRM that installs rootkits. boycott!

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: dflynchimp

actually ATI is as reluctant to hop on the PhysX boat as Nvidia is reluctant to let them on. Both companies are pushing their prefered variant of gpu physics in yet another gamble to oust the others in the market. In these situations, we the customer are the losers since we can't all have our cake and eat it too.

Doesn't ATI/AMD own the Havok physics engine?

dflynchimp

Apr 11, 2007
Originally posted by: Aflac
Originally posted by: dflynchimp

Doesn't ATI/AMD own the Havok physics engine?

no, Intel bought Havok

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
nvidia will never get my money... (and same goes with this game) :D

EDIT
Let me rephrase that. No game will make me purchase another POS nv card. :D

Jan 9, 2007
You can actually load the latest drivers, and still have physx work by replacing the .dll. TK did a service to all of us by offering that information. I can't provide a link or anything further, because it seems the original thread got locked. Apologies.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Originally posted by: solofly
EDIT

Why would u say POS nv card? I can understand all this shady BS that is going on right now with nvidia, but the cards themselves (in my opinion) have a lot less problems than ATI driver side. Dual video drivers with xp/7 is awesome because i can use my 7800gtx when my 4890 is masturbating, and i can use my 4890 when it works (95% of the time)

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Ben90
EDIT

Why would u say POS nv card? I can understand all this shady BS that is going on right now with nvidia, but the cards themselves (in my opinion) have a lot less problems than ATI driver side. Dual video drivers with xp/7 is awesome because i can use my 7800gtx when my 4890 is masturbating, and i can use my 4890 when it works (95% of the time)

Dude something is wrong with your card or your system but it is certainly not the norm as you describe it. You need to trouble shoot it or return it, but complaining about it really does nothing for you.

fffblackmage

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2007
darn, i just finished batman in all its jagged glory.
now if there's hack to make resident evil 5 work on a x1950xt....

Leon

Platinum Member
Nov 14, 1999
Now sure what the problem is? The patch was released less than a day after the game came out, and enabled AA (you need to force it control panel). So, why bother hacking?

Leon

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Originally posted by: Leon
Now sure what the problem is? The patch was released less than a day after the game came out, and enabled AA (you need to force it control panel). So, why bother hacking?

Leon

You bother hacking because forcing through ATI CCC forces FSAA, which gives a far bigger performance hit when hacking and using the games 'smart' AA, which means AA only gets applied where and when it makes a difference.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Leon

Leon

Edit: Arggg; Marc beat me to it :)

Because the game version of AA does intelligent based aa. Or in other words, only applying AA where its needed. A great performance saver compared to forcing full aa via the ccc.

Jason

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Originally posted by: Schmide
EDIT

Dude something is wrong with your card or your system but it is certainly not the norm as you describe it. You need to trouble shoot it or return it, but complaining about it really does nothing for you.

K; help me turn off vsync on d3d 6- titles on windows 7....
oh thats right its impossible on an ATI card

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
It's not like anybody should give a shit though, because pretty much any ati card from the HD 4870 and up can play Batmang satisfactory with 4xAA forced through ATI CCC At 1920*1200. And when you start pushing 8xAA some ati-cards will flatout beat their nvidia-competitors.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002

Start a new thread, explain everything and I'm sure someone in the community can help you.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009

Start a new thread, explain everything and I'm sure someone in the community can help you.

Ive done like 20 hrs of research; and concluded its impossible without making my own drivers

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002

Ive done like 20 hrs of research; and concluded its impossible without making my own drivers

That's great. Start a new thread! I don't want to discuss it here, but the fact that you have a 7800 gtx in your system, seems a bit dubious. I'm telling you your symptoms are not the norm.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Or use search? Cuz there are multiple threads about this; including my own.... the consensus is you cant do it