hackers getting even with evil doers...

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Angered by the growing number of Internet scams, online "vigilantes" have started to take justice into their own hands by hacking into suspected fraud sites and defacing them.

I really don't get why the government would frown on this. They won't handle this huge problem, so they should let someone else do it for them. Text

EDIT: fixed link

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: rudeguy
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050525/323/fjrgo.html">Text</a>

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Angered by the growing number of Internet scams, online "vigilantes" have started to take justice into their own hands by hacking into suspected fraud sites and defacing them.

I really don't get why the government would frown on this. They won't handle this huge problem, so they should let someone else do it for them.

The government frowns up any kind of vigilantism

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: rudeguy

I really don't get why the government would frown on this. They won't handle this huge problem, so they should let someone else do it for them. Text

EDIT: fixed link

They don't like people defacing their sites. Nor the sites of those giving them bribes.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Skyclad1uhm1
They don't like people defacing their sites. Nor the sites of those giving them bribes.
:roll: *sigh* (I know there's some sarcasm in there, but I also know there's some honest feelings too.)

Anyway, this just kills me:
Larson added, "They could get it wrong just as vigilantes in the Wild West got it wrong. We would rather see the industry itself find solutions."
WTF EVER! If the industry was going to find a solution, it's past time to do so. Now is basically when this epidemic is at its worst. More and better spam filters will start to weed some of this out, and more education and public awareness will also slow it. So granted it will get better over time, but the fact that they're not doing anything now is a good indicator that they're not going to.

This is the only method of getting anything done. Period.