Hacker group Lulzsec disbands, identities exposed

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
As many of you know, Lulzsec disbanded recently:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/26/us-cybersecurity-lulzsec-idUSTRE75P05I20110626
The Lulz Security group of rogue hackers announced it was disbanding on Saturday with one last data dump, which included internal AOL Inc and AT&T documents.

They are the hacker group responsible for attacks on Sony, AT&T, the US Senate and a host of other corporate and governmental agencies.

But, another hacker group seems to dislike them, so they release their supposed names, addresses and phone numbers after infiltrating them.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tec...to-expose-identitites-of-lulzsec-members.html
An Internet hacker group calling itself the A-Team has published a document it claims reveals the identities of at least some members of the recently retired hacker network LulzSec, including phone numbers, addresses, Facebook URLs and even the identities of some of their relatives and associates.

If this information checks out, it will be a great boon to the feds. The hacker group that acquired the information also claims that Lulzsec did not really have any ideals in mind, just dumped whatever data that could acquire after searching the net for vulnerabilities that they knew how to exploit. Which would seem to explain their seemingly random targets.

Wonder if this might lead to a take down of members of anonymous as well?

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011
Sounds more like crackers than hackers.

Hackers explore and discover. Crackers just cause havoc - which is what these guys do and did.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Sounds more like crackers than hackers.

Hackers explore and discover. Crackers just cause havoc - which is what these guys do and did.

Unfortunately in modern slang cracker is a racist term for a white guy. Have fun going around talking about how your computer was busted by crackers.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
As many of you know, Lulzsec disbanded recently:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/26/us-cybersecurity-lulzsec-idUSTRE75P05I20110626

They are the hacker group responsible for attacks on Sony, AT&T, the US Senate and a host of other corporate and governmental agencies.

But, another hacker group seems to dislike them, so they release their supposed names, addresses and phone numbers after infiltrating them.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tec...to-expose-identitites-of-lulzsec-members.html

If this information checks out, it will be a great boon to the feds. The hacker group that acquired the information also claims that Lulzsec did not really have any ideals in mind, just dumped whatever data that could acquire after searching the net for vulnerabilities that they knew how to exploit. Which would seem to explain their seemingly random targets.

Wonder if this might lead to a take down of members of anonymous as well?

Boon to the feds? So the fact that the feds only progressed anywhere because of other hackers is a good thing?

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
Unfortunately in modern slang cracker is a racist term for a white guy. Have fun going around talking about how your computer was busted by crackers.

seriously? who the hell would be offended by that? i'd think it was a sign you were gay and wanted to spread cheese on me and lick it off :eek:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
seriously? who the hell would be offended by that? i'd think it was a sign you were gay and wanted to spread cheese on me and lick it off :eek:

I'm just saying no one outside of technical circles would know what you're taking about, and would probably think you were trying to make a bad racist joke.

Sep 29, 2004
The best hackers are the ones you never heard of.

That means anyone in Lulzsec or anonymous are not that good.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
How would it be a boon to any police organization that a bunch of script kiddies found out who Lulzsec was when the many of the governments around the world couldn't?

That's no a boon, that's a fvcking embarrassment.

For every guy that the police arrest (if the info checks out) there will be 100 more waiting to take his place, who is currently laughing their ass off at the policing institutions around the world.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Isn't it illegal for the police to use information that was gotten illegally?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Isn't it illegal for the police to use information that was gotten illegally?

Not if they themselves didn't obtain it illegally, AFAIK. If a burglar broke into someone's house, then called the police because they found a dead body or a growing operation, the police could still charge the home owner based on the evidence yielded from the burglary.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
SQL injections and releasing email addresses for lib causes is the new l333333t yo

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
The best hackers are the ones who fucked Iran's nuclear program.

Now that one was golf clap worthy; unlike some mindless "?var=blah join select from users" sql injection, the idea of having a worm reprogram SCADA system just slightly enough is absolutely brilliant.

MayorOfAmerica

Apr 29, 2011
Wonder if this is why they recently said they were ending their activities.

Craig,

If I recall, I believe they originally said they were going to cause "50 days of mayhem" or something along those lines, so ending their activities at this juncture was probably their plan all along.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Now that one was golf clap worthy; unlike some mindless "?var=blah join select from users" sql injection, the idea of having a worm reprogram SCADA system just slightly enough is absolutely brilliant.

You're talking about a different level of hacking though. There is no way in the world a small group of hackers could muster the computing power, brainpower, and other resources necessary to write Stuxnet.

Groups like LulzSec might not be especially creative with their methods, but the fact that they can still bring down gigantic networks, steal bank account information, and generally cause mayhem by using tricks that are a decade old is indicative of how crappy our security is.

I'm still amazed that Citi had 200,000 accounts cleaned out by hackers because they were passing the account numbers via the URL. Lazy / stupid coding like that is the reason these groups thrive.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004

Not brilliant at all when you have governments with unlimited resources to back you up and help you with almost anything (source code of target machines, etc). Now if it was developed by nobodies like Lulzsec, yeah that would be impressive.