[HaCa]Future 980Ti and Fiji XT owners, take notice - EVGA GTX 980 Hybrid Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MarkLuvsCS

Jun 13, 2004
So now nvidia has an AIO CLC and it's a great idea. I thought the 390x was a failure if it used one? :hmm:

I think some people thought for some reason it would only be available with an AIO CLC. It's nice to see more vendors willing able to include it in some of their designs because it gives consumers more options that are also guaranteed by the manufacturer.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
If you have enough people saying how great an Nvidia gtx980 is under a water setup, then when the 390x needs a water setup to run cool because its 300+watts, no one will say it sucks. Get the picture?:thumbsup:

I'm happy to see the improvement that an AIO does for the 980. It will be a bigger benefit to the 980 ti, and if nVidia allowed it the Titan X. Unfortunately people have to spend extra to get their $1000 card well cooled. Take away the spin and it's just a good idea. It's not a good idea for nVidia and a bad idea for AMD.

Love these EVGA AIO units. I have them installed on both of my Titan X's. Cards are now whisper quiet even under full load. Before the coolers were installed, I had to set a custom fan curve for the stock blower fan. In order to prevent the cards from throttling I had to run 75% fan speed. At this speed we are talking reference 290X noise levels.
Look at the Titan X, it "needs" one too if you want to be able to take advantage of it's potential but don't want reference 290X SPL.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Unfortunately people have to spend extra to get their $1000 card well cooled.

Actually I thought we were going in a different direction ,it seemed to me Intel was making more power efficient cpu's and Nvidia was keeping the power usage down, but I guess without a node shrinkage this is what we get on the GPU side of things.

What cost more a huge heatsink/fan or a internal loop water cooler?

Last edited:

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
Intel's making more power efficient CPUs as much because they're not able to translate greater power usage into a meaningful increase in performance as any other reason. GPU makers aren't in a really similar situation since 300W is still in the region where they're getting pretty good gains on a big chip.