H1B visas for technology workers -- needed or BS?

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What do you think, those of you who are in the tech industry? My gut instinct says that companies merely want to import cheap labor and not pay the higher salaries that American tech workers demand. However, everyone keeps talking about a tech worker shortage.

One interesting aspect that I discovered is that it costs a company almost $3000 to obtain a visa for an immigrant worker. Wouldn't that be better used for a tech worker who simply needs training?

Tonec

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
There is a shortage of qualified tech labor.
Also the reality of the situtation is that foreign workers tend to be more dedicated to their work than those educated in the US. Not a very politically correct thing to say but its generally agreed upon by those in the tech industry.

GammaRayX

Oct 11, 1999
On the technology sector, I do think there is a shortage of workers. However, there's also the case of greed involved. In many cases, a company goes for a foreign worker when a domestic worker is available, simply because the foreign worker have less legal recourse and cheaper.

(Although not tech, still related to foreign workers working in the US.)
Suspended Animation
Summary of linked article - Recounts the experience of how an animation artist from Ireland is treated by a big company like Fox.
PS: The article sent chills through my spine on how inhumane some companies can be.