[H]NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 SLI Video Card Review

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by Jaydip, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Jaydip

Jaydip Diamond Member

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013..._gtx_780_sli_video_card_review/1#.UgHe-tKTQVg

From the conclusion
    "We are highly impressed by what GeForce GTX 780 SLI is able to deliver in NV Surround. At high resolutions, in a 3-display setup, we are able to run every game at its "maxed out" graphics settings. That is, we are able to run with the highest quality, highest tessellation, and highest graphics settings. We do not have to skimp or sacrifice any quality settings with GTX 780 SLI at 5760x1200.

GeForce GTX 780 SLI offers a real value over GeForce GTX TITAN SLI. Though GTX TITAN is the fastest card out there, and two of these together is faster than two GTX 780 cards together, it isn't worth the small performance improvement given the large $700 price difference. GeForce GTX 780 SLI is very close to TITAN SLI performance. Unless you need the large 6GB framebuffer for something specific, GeForce GTX 780 SLI is the better deal.

You won't be disappointed by what GeForce GTX 780 SLI has to offer. Even compared to three GPUs from AMD, it delivers better overall consistency, smoothness, and a better gameplay experience. If you want the absolute best for gaming, GeForce GTX 780 SLI is what you want in your rig. We will of course be seeing if this changes any time soon."

I am surprised that a two card configuration can keep up with the three.

2. Silverforce11

Thats because the new AMD frame time drivers do not support multi monitor yet, and even through 3 way CF is faster at raw fps, to [H] crew, its not as smooth.

Not sure why someone who folks out so much $$ for their rig cannot be informed enough to use Radeon Pro if they want smooth frame time.

3. 3DVagabond

3DVagabond Lifer

AMD's frame metering doesn't work with Eyefinity yet. This might change soon, but right now it's not the best setup to go with. I think we all already knew that though. ;)

4. Carfax83

Carfax83 Diamond Member

Maybe they think using a frame limiter defeats the purpose of going multi GPU..

5. Jaydip

Jaydip Diamond Member

I know but I thought adding an extra card would equal the playing ground.I believe the general consensus was that three way Xfire was smoother than two way.Or was I misinformed?

6. 3DVagabond

3DVagabond Lifer

I haven't seen any reviews on SI that shows that.

7. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Diamond Member

Is triple fire supported by the frame pacing driver? I don't see it mentioned in the support list and I don't see it in the details for Phase 2 either (which will add eyefinity and DX9 support). I don't think I have seen anyone test triple cards with FCAT so far. Anyone know of a triple fire review with FCAT?

8. 3DVagabond

3DVagabond Lifer

I thought about that too. I figured since they didn't say only 2 way crossfire, and they did list other exclusions like resolution and DX9, it hopefully applies. After seeing this review so conveniently close to all of the revues about the new driver (Am I the only one that doesn't think this is a coincidence? ;)) I'll bet if 3 or 4 way crossfire are broke they would have tested at 2560*1600 as well.

9. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Diamond Member

They are not wrong, eyefinity isn't supported and is still a problem. But every other review mentioned it as part of their review of what did work. It didn't really need a review to say "yep what AMD said about eyefinity is still true, its still broke".

I too hope that trifire is on their list of support by default. The op however can test that for us if he/she is willing. Take a game that stutters without frame pacing and run it single monitor, capture a fraps frametime trace. Then run it again with frame pacing on. You will see a reduction around a third in variance in the frametimes if frame pacing is working. This is something I noticed in some of the reviews, not only does the frame pacing improve the outgoing frames but it also smooths the variance between the blocking calls to DirectX present that regulate the games simulation rate.

#9 BrightCandle, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  10. Silverforce11

At 3x 1080p? You're not getting fantastic FPS, why wouldnt you just limit to 60 and with radeon pro's frame interval options, its butter smooth. Takes a few seconds to setup.

If people are too herp derp, they should stay away from CF. Otherwise, getting heaps more bang for buck whilst taking a bit of time to setup sounds fine to me.

Meh, different strokes for diff folks.

11. Black Octagon

Black Octagon Golden Member

Completely true, but they might have also mentioned at this point that 2 780s is going to cost you a minimum of USD1300 (based on NewEgg prices...).

Given that you can get 3 7970s for USD1065 I daresay it's worth repeating this exercise once AMD's Frame Pacing driver update for Eyefinity is available.

12. Jaydip

Jaydip Diamond Member

I think 7970 Ghz is ~ $400 is it not ?

13. Black Octagon

Can get it for USD375 actually, but I consider the Ghz edition to be an over-volted POS and think that when running 3 7970s any overclocking should be somewhat restrained, unless you have VERY good custom cooling.

14. Leadbox

Leadbox Senior member

Pcper dabbled, it don't look like you'll get too far with it. According to Mr Shrout, AMD said it was supported - needs more testing

15. Jacky60

Jacky60 Golden Member

It seems weird to run such a review now at a resolution unsupported by the driver but one that theoretically will be supported in a few weeks time. Agreed AMD should have sorted this months ago but the timing seems designed to highlight AMD's deficiencies, which I guess is fair enough.
    I just hope AMD sort tri-fire and frame pacing and 4k very soon or at least with their next GPU release.

16. Sable

Sable Golden Member

They did. That's why they're comparing 3 cards to 2.

edit:

Ah, you meant in the conclusion. As you were.

#16 Sable, Aug 7, 2013
  17. Black Octagon

No dramas, I myself was only looking at the conclusion, which was laziness on my part

18. Black Octagon

Another fun fact: 3 7950s can be had off of Newegg for a grand total of USD750...

(a shame that the only 3-way 7950 CF review that I can find is very old, from a time before AMD drivers were delivering good scaling for 7xxx cards in 3-way CF)

19. Jacky60

Jacky60 Golden Member

Three 7950's would cost £720 in the UK vs £1060 for two 780's.

20. SiliconWars

SiliconWars Platinum Member

You can pick up 3 7950's for under £600 - http://www.scan.co.uk/search.aspx?q=7950

Though I'd go with the Twin Frozr's at £212.

#20 SiliconWars, Aug 7, 2013
  21. BrentJ

BrentJ Member

Because the focus of the review was on GTX 780 SLI, and also started before I new the Frame Pacing driver was coming. Which doesn't matter anyway, Eyefinity still wasn't supported in Phase 1. I wasn't going to delay our look at 780 SLI because AMD can't provide Frame Pacing yet. That would be unfair to SLI and CrossFire owners. We show the performance and experience at a given time, and that's how it is right now.

When Frame Pacing comes to Eyefinity, of course we will cover that and test things. It could very much change the playable settings on CrossFire and make it better competition, just like it did at 2560x1600.