[H]Intel Ivy Bridge-E Core i7-4960X IPC and OCing Review

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013...ee_core_i74960x_ipc_ocing_review#.UiAv4tKBmDk

From the conclusion
"The general feeling I come away from the Ivy Bridge-E is that it is a good processor, but nothing stellar when compared to the Sandy Bridge-E predecessor. Is it better? Yes. It is a whole lot better? No. Should you ditch your Sandy Bridge-E system for a shiny new Ivy Bridge-E? No. If you happen to be coming from a sub-4GHz LGA 1366 "Gulftown" system, the Ivy Bridge-E is going to be a big step up. However if you are lucky enough to still be sporting a ~5GHz Gulftown processor, you are likely better off sticking.

I feel a lot better about the way Intel has presented this processor than it did the Sandy Bridge-E. The showboating about its Core i7-3960X six core Extreme processor being the "Ultimate Desktop Processor for Gamers," was "horse shit" as we pointed out last time. We all know that these $1000 Extreme processors are not for the average DIY computer enthusiast."

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
The heck? We've known for longer than a year that the approximate IPC difference between the IVB and SB architectures is around 10%. Bottom line is that IB-E is the new LGA 2011 platform, SB-E will be discontinued. If you're buying a new LGA 2011 platform, go with the IVB-E, it really is that simple. If you're an existing SB-E user, this isn't intended as an upgrade. Much like most SB owners didn't upgrade to IVB - the 10% IPC increase doesn't really warrant the upgrade for most users.

So why is this surprising and why is anyone expressing shock? (This isn't necessarily addressed to anyone here, but i've seen complaints at various other forums). This is just a new product based on the IVB architecture. There is nothing to complain about, this is a new product intended for new LGA 2011 users. For myself, since I don't currently own X79 or LGA 2011, this is a very compelling product. I'd really like to see how well the upcoming 4820K will overclock. IMO, the 4820k will draw a *lot* of people to the LGA 2011 platform; the prior 3820 was not a "K" SKU and thus was not desirable to most users. This will all change with the 4820k, it will be interesting to see if a lot of folks purchase LGA 2011 because of that.

The good news seems to be that this part has just as much OC headroom as the SB-E did from what i'm reading.

Last edited:

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
What is the difference between a 4930k and 4960x besides the L3 cache 15mb for 4960x and 12mb for 4930k ?

Is this pretty much the only difference, besides being on smaller fab... Is 4.8Ghz possible ??? I see lots of people with lower clocks with a 6 core Sandy. thx

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
Kyle Bennett said:
The almost two year old Core i7-3930K processor is nipping at the heals of our new Intel flagship.
*Sigh*

Oh, that die shot is gorgeous :wub:

Can't wait for a high res one.
1377617663Nup6NpeMcK_6_1.png

Those are some pretty amazing power savings. I can't give Intel too much credit though... this thing is late as hell. They'd better follow up with Haswell-E quickly.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Smaller die size than a Haswell GT3...

EDIT: About the same size as a 4-core Nehalem, in fact.

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I think I'm officially on the Haswell bandwagon now. IPC is where it's at for 99% of us. If I don't end up with a 4770K, Haswell-E, here I come.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I knew what to expect ipc wise, I was just hoping for some magic OC headroom. Looks like its not there.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
I think I'm officially on the Haswell bandwagon now. IPC is where it's at for 99% of us. If I don't end up with a 4770K, Haswell-E, here I come.

Yeah, I'm gonna wait and see what broadwell brings (eg if there even is a desktop part) and else go with haswell-e.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
If you're an existing SB-E user, this isn't intended as an upgrade. Much like most SB owners didn't upgrade to IVB - the 10% IPC increase doesn't really warrant the upgrade for most users.

The question is *when* is the intended upgrade for SB-E coming? It won't be Haswell-E either as it will be another 10% max. I think most people want a 50% performance improvement before they consider it worthwhile to upgrade. When is a CPU coming that either overclocks 50% higher than SB (~6.8 GHz) or offers a 50% IPC improvement? If we figure 2 years for each 10% improvement, it will be another 6-8 years at least.

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
lol I just realized how ridiculous this actually is. We don't have an upgrade option for years? YEARS? As in like 4 years after release of Sandy-E or longer? Damn, time to stick to other hobbies because i'll die of boredom with this one.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Hard to blame Intel, who else can do better? It almost seems like they are victims of their own success at this point, maybe they should have sandbagged previous releases more so there would be more room for improvement. The Golden Age of rapid CPU advancement would seem to be either over, or in a deep stall.