[H] BSOD from utorrent

SpoR

Jul 22, 2007
So every once in a while I get a BSOD from utorrent. Its usually when I've been gone all night on a weekend so I'm guessing its because there are too many connections all uploading at like 50kpbs each or something.
the bsod is 0x40000080 , but googling it is bringing up lots of random different shit.

I got another guy telling me it might be related to my win xp sp2 protocal settings
"you have an unpatched TCP/IP, which limits the open sockets for TCP/IP to... 10. More torrents being added will both run slower, and possibly cause problems with the OS in some cases.

Go here, download and run this, set it to say 2048, then patch your stuff. This will give you 2048 open or half open sockets on WinXP. The normal amount on any other OS, and Win7, are that of the protocol - 65535. 2048 will be more than enough, set it to that then click 'apply'.

http://www.megaleecher.net/Tcpip.sys_Patch_To_Increase_Windows_XP_Connection_Limit "

I haven't tried that yet because I wanted a 2nd opinion.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
have you tried a differnet program, ie vuze?. this way you can see if its utorrent itself or the limit. if it does the same with vuze then you could try the patch. personally I never used the patch and had not experienced any issues

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Personally, you should update to XP SP3 and then all other updates from Microsoft. SP3 has been out for a long time and will easily install on 99% of computers, with some that have an AMD CPU that may have issues installing it. That would resolve most of the issues. As to torrents, I like a nice small program called Torrent Storm. All it does is manage the downloads. Those others, while they work, can be somewhat bloated.

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
Personally, you should update to XP SP3 and then all other updates from Microsoft. SP3 has been out for a long time and will easily install on 99% of computers, with some that have an AMD CPU that may have issues installing it. That would resolve most of the issues. As to torrents, I like a nice small program called Torrent Storm. All it does is manage the downloads. Those others, while they work, can be somewhat bloated.
I second that. install SP3

Stayfr0sty

Mar 5, 2012
Utorrent shouldnt be causing bsods.
Sounds like something hardwarewise. MAybe NIC on your mobo is going bad?

rdb4133

Feb 15, 2012
www.heatware.com
I agree with others regarding SP3. If you can do it I would try that.

Also what version of uTorrent are you using? I remember I tried one of the newer versions a while back (3.0+) and it was much worse than the older versions (below 3.0) so I've stuck with 2.5 which you can get from OldApps.com

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
well I cant do windows updates because im a sailor

Time to walk the plank, buddy!

Edit: I assumed by his comment, "I'm a sailor", meant that he pir8ed XP.

If he's actually a sailor on a ship, and that's why he can't download updates, then I apologize.

Edit: I think my original assumption was correct. Think about it. How can he use uTorrent without a stable internet connection? So lack of a stable internet connection is not the reason he hasn't updated to SP3. Think about it for a bit.

Personally, I think OP should just go out and buy Windows 7, that would solve his problem most likely, unless his physical NIC is flaky.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY