[ H ]: BF5 Raytracing VRAM easily exceeds 6GB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
https://www.hardocp.com/article/201...nvidia_ray_tracing_rtx_2080_ti_performance/10

Even at 1080p, switching to DX12 by itself with no RTX doubles usage and easily blows past 6GB. What exactly was Jensen smoking when he presented the 2060 as "RTX"?

It also doesn't take much to exceed 8GB which is nVidia's #2 card:
1546856165f4k2bi0vdz_10_1.png
This is the perfect illustration of how the entire Turding line has just raised costs and is under-spec'd in every category as a result.

At every performance bracket we got a higher price with a VRAM reduction: 8 -> 6 (2060), 11 -> 8 (2080), and stagnant 11GB with price hike (2080TI).

Ironically if you stick to DX11 and ignore the DX12/RTX garbage, even 4K fits on a 6GB card. LMAO.

The fraudulent Turding line is a giant basket of fail.

Last edited:

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Going to be a hard pill to swallow dropping Textures from Ultra to high on a brand new RTX 2060 gpu so you could allow a resource hogging feature to run without a hitch!

is it really? your are basically turning down something that can't be noticed and you are buying a $350 2060 not the $1000 2080 ti which the ultra card...
or all the other cards bellow the 2070 that can't even run the RT effects,

May 11, 2008
If someone tells me to reduce the settings while i do not have to, i look at them as if they are crazy.
I bought a good card for maximum details while playing a game. Because it helps to immerse.
And yes, i do notice image degradation because of reduced settings when in fights.

But then again, sometimes i play old games (like area 51 currently) and do wish that those games looked like destiny 2 or doom or wolfenstein colossus.
Although forcing settings in the driver sometimes helps improving image quality in older games.

Give it a few years, then games become a blend of raytracing and the tradional rendering techniques like rasterization.
Nvidia is making a start (May not end up to be final) and DXR is here to be used.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/directx/2018/03/19/announcing-microsoft-directx-raytracing/

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Nah man, that's not what I mean, i'm not a fan of RTX either. I'm simply stating what I think about Graphics in general, I mean, you yourself don't mind playing old games, it's the Gameplay that matters most, the fun aspect.
Understood. But in the specific context of RTX, we're supposed to accept the horrific overpricing of Turding because it's a "killer" feature. So it's not acceptable for concessions at those kinds of prices.

Holy crap all the SJW authors nailed it. Entitlement sure has spread from consolers to PC'ers now. I need a time machine, I need to disown ATI because that Radeon 7000 64MB PCI 128bit card I bought in like 1998 couldn't even run Medal of Honor at 60 FPS locked with max settings at 1600x1200! I had to, *crying*, lower settings. Hold me, please, I'm literally shaking now.
Sure, sure, recognizing a rip-off is "entitlement". :rolleyes:

The 2060 shouldn't have 6GB when a cheaper 1070/1070TI has 8GB.
Would you be happy with a 4GB 3060 for $400?
How about a 2GB 4060 for $450?

That's not entitlement, it's called not being a dumb consumer.

The fact is at every Turding bracket, the price has gone up but VRAM has gone down or stayed the same.

My eyes have been opened, thanks BFG10K! My next card is definitely going to be Radeon 7, based on your other thread, I should have NO ISSUE running DXR on it.
I never said I'd buy a Radeon 7. But at least it has 16GB VRAM, double that of the 2080 while costing the same.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
is it really? your are basically turning down something that can't be noticed and you are buying a $350 2060 not the $1000 2080 ti which the ultra card...
or all the other cards bellow the 2070 that can't even run the RT effects,

Well i guess if you came from a 2gb 960 or something then maybe you wouldn't care all that much about textures and can run with that. You honestly may have a easier time convincing people to get a 2070 for that non compromised experience then to lower textures to high to run RTX on a 2060 without a hitch.

Sadly i am not getting to enjoy RTX,but i do get to enjoy maxed out settings plus a solid 60fps at 1440p on my 8GB 1070ti .I guess performance wise i would need a 2080ti if i want what i have now plus RTX. Not a knock on RTX just a actual fact.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
See this is my gpu-z while playing Infinite Warfare on my 4gb 1050Ti at 1600*900(rendered resolution full hd). It uses the entire 4GB but it doesn't mean it really needs that much.

Attachments

• gpu load infinite warfare.gif
    gpu load infinite warfare.gif
    19.8 KB · Views: 16

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Even if RTX isn't people's cup of tea, we're now reading posts about a card that delivers 60% more performance over its predecessor being a turd because, *GASP*, it can't run the newest games with the newest features (which the OP doesn't even like) without some compromise!

Holy crap all the SJW authors nailed it. Entitlement sure has spread from consolers to PC'ers now. I need a time machine, I need to disown ATI because that Radeon 7000 64MB PCI 128bit card I bought in like 1998 couldn't even run Medal of Honor at 60 FPS locked with max settings at 1600x1200! I had to, *crying*, lower settings. Hold me, please, I'm literally shaking now.
Let's talk entitlement. Who's more entitled between the kids bellow:
  • Dad, buy me this $200 card to play Battlefield 5 @ 1080p / 60FPS
  • Dad, buy me this $350 card to play Battlefield 5 @ 1080p / 60FPS with real reflections
What some are trying to say and some refuse to listen is that RTX 2060 brings you the following options in BF5:
  • 1440p @ 80FPS+
  • 1080p @ 60FPS /w DXR and various lowered image quality settings (lower than 1080p native resolution mostly compensated by DLSS, lowered texture detail, lowered reflection resolution)
This is what @BFG10K probably tried to convey, that the price to enabling DXR in the quest for better graphics detail is beginning to stack up as you essentially give up graphical details all around the scene to gain more accurate details in select areas. The loss in FPS and latency is just the cherry on top. This isn't even about RTX 2060 performance in general, we're talking using the same card with 2 different rendering presets.

Maybe RT performance will improve a lot more in the future, maybe newer titles will come with better support, but until then "shaking and crying" from a sarcasm overdose will do little to set the record straight.

Reactions: Ranulf

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Well i guess if you came from a 2gb 960 or something then maybe you wouldn't care all that much about textures and can run with that. You honestly may have a easier time convincing people to get a 2070 for that non compromised experience then to lower textures to high to run RTX on a 2060 without a hitch.

Sadly i am not getting to enjoy RTX,but i do get to enjoy maxed out settings plus a solid 60fps at 1440p on my 8GB 1070ti .I guess performance wise i would need a 2080ti if i want what i have now plus RTX. Not a knock on RTX just a actual fact.

do we know for sure that the 2060 can't do the same without RT? I mean 1440P ultra textures?
because what seems to be happening is that RT uses significant extra vram and might be causing issues with that, now I haven't seen the same in depth test with the 2060 without RT, to prove that it's inferior to a 1070 Ti in this game at ultra 1440p, and IMO RT adds a lot more to the game than the switch from high to ultra textures.

but yes, the 1070 Ti was a higher tier of card anyway. released for $450 just a little over 1 year ago.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Nobody will play bf5 with RT on a 2060 for more than one hour in MP games. Then you have seen the stuff. It looks nice. Fine. You get tired of the 40 to 60fps dips and change. If you can entertain dx12 at all.
It's that simple. The feature will not be used.

Reactions: beginner99

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
do we know for sure that the 2060 can't do the same without RT? I mean 1440P ultra textures?
because what seems to be happening is that RT uses significant extra vram and might be causing issues with that, now I haven't seen the same in depth test with the 2060 without RT
The 2060 can definitely do 1440p ultra textures, all you need to do is check the link in the OP which shows vram utilization at 4.5GB when running at 1440p in DX11. If 2080Ti uses 4.5GB at 1440p then 2060 won't use more than that.

But here's the thing, we can't tout RT as the main competitive advantage of the new GeForce line only when and where it suits us (marketing events, videos, forums) then go back home and run BF 5 in full raster mode. Ray Tracing may be the future, but what do you do when you have to choose between 1440p @ 80FPS and 1080p @ 60FPS with RT?

This is no longer a case of comparing a native 4K render to 4K DLSS where the detail loss from rendering internally at 1440p is strongly mitigated. This is a straight 1440p vs 1080p comparison, a 33% loss in vertical and horizontal resolution, with the small added loss of texture details, and probably the small added loss of 1080p DLSS in the future (DLSS should help the 2060 lock in 60FPS DXR without overclocking while also compensating for the even lower ray tracing resolution).

If performance patches bring DXR performance high enough as to allow for 1440p DLSS and keep 60FPS locked in (with various settings like textures brought down a notch), that's where we might reach a point where RT shows it's worth. Until then loosing visual details to gain visual details sounds a lot like spending more to save more.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
What looks like being true is that the 2060 will be fine 1080p ray tracing @ 60fps. You can run at a higher res if you like, or go for higher fps but the feature is there if you want it. This is so far as well - we await further BF5 patches with things like DLSS in.

That is very different from the original spin where only a 2080Ti could do 1080p and even it would struggle. That looks more like issues with dev's not having time to optimise their games properly.

This is on a $350 card as well - which is only expensive not stupidly expensive. All bodes well for the 3xxx series at 7nm which I'd say is looking increasingly likely to offer properly mainstream ray tracing support (not 3 gens/5 years as much of the original spin suggested).

Combine that with AMD saying they are implementing ray tracing support - strongly suggesting all the next gen consoles will have it, and due to one of those consoles being the xbox, and that belonging to MS who own the DX12 raytracing spec currently used by Nvidia suggests the current implementation of ray tracing has a pretty bright future.

Last edited:

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
Turd card for turd games...
https://games.slashdot.org/story/19...rs-have-become-a-disaster-for-electronic-arts
The comments section is gold !

Electronic Arts has mismanaged the Battlefield franchise in the past -- BF3 and BF4 were not great from a gameplay perspective -- but with Battlefield 5, Electronic Arts is facing a real disaster that has sent its stock plummeting on the stock exchanges

Comment excerpt :
No, they went out and catered to the SJW's then told people that "if they didn't like the agenda. To not buy it." [vg247.com] So it looks like people didn't buy it. Then the guy who pushed it "left" the company. [gematsu.com] No no, it wasn't telling people to piss off that cratered sales. It was just a bad game...or a combination of it was a bad game and telling their market to piss off.

Yet another confirmation of things I have said before...
Big blockbuster titles that demand such functionality are turds because the gaming industry has lost their collective minds. The most celebrated and showcased game for this card is a flaming turd. Fitting because that's what these cards are. I expect this trend to continue until there is a pronounced correction in the gaming industry.. at least in the graphics intensive blockbuster titles. Lower end graphics games seem to be focusing on actually trying to create a fun experience as opposed to getting headlines and catering to political ideology thus winning real gamers over with cards like the 1060 and lower.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Understood. But in the specific context of RTX, we're supposed to accept the horrific overpricing of Turding because it's a "killer" feature. So it's not acceptable for concessions at those kinds of prices.

No, we're not suppose to accept the pricing if we don't want to. You don't have to buy this product, hell, I wouldn't even bother with your posts if they were simple "too over priced, turd, next" but the examples you bring up to defend your opinion make you look more desperate in trying to find validation in your opinion. Features are, again, subjective. Price, also. Hell, we've been fighting price / perf wars for years.

Sure, sure, recognizing a rip-off is "entitlement". :rolleyes:

The 2060 shouldn't have 6GB when a cheaper 1070/1070TI has 8GB.
Would you be happy with a 4GB 3060 for $400?
How about a 2GB 4060 for $450?

That's not entitlement, it's called not being a dumb consumer.

Yes, that's entitlement. You are not OWED anything by these companies. No one is. This is the part I feel that has been aggravating the crap out of me lately, mind you not just at ATF. You come off more as a snowflake crying you didn't get your precious price / perf metric, and yes I probably sound like a "shill" but I'm tired of reading "I didn't get X because Y reason." And the cherry to me is, just like the snowflakes I spit coffee at as I read their articles in the morning, if someone doesn't agree with you they must be a "dumb consumer."

The fact is at every Turding bracket, the price has gone up but VRAM has gone down or stayed the same.

Just about everything cost more today. EVERYTHING. You just reminded me perfectly of the Jimmy Deans customer complaint. Give it a listen. TL:DL: "You changed the size of your sausage! How do you expect me to feed my family with only one, now!?"

I get that NV dunked on us all. You can are not required to support them. No one is. But this thread is basically "you can't do ultra with ultra DXR @ 1080 on a mainstream card, waaaaaah."

Let's talk entitlement. Who's more entitled between the kids bellow:
  • Dad, buy me this $200 card to play Battlefield 5 @ 1080p / 60FPS
  • Dad, buy me this $350 card to play Battlefield 5 @ 1080p / 60FPS with real reflections
Stop, for a second and think about this. Just this simple example of yours. "What's more entitled" "I should have gotten...." You're already acting entitled.

Even in your make believe situation you aren't making any sense. We just saw AMD raise 590 to $280 versus the $230 MSRP of the RX 580 for 10% performance increases! Excluding DXR performance, RTX 2060 is $350 MSRP, over GTX 1060 6GB $250 MSRP with 50-60% performance increase. And this is a "turd" to BFG10K? If this is a turd, I can only imagine his opinion on RX 590.

What some are trying to say and some refuse to listen is that RTX 2060 brings you the following options in BF5:
  • 1440p @ 80FPS+
  • 1080p @ 60FPS /w DXR and various lowered image quality settings (lower than 1080p native resolution mostly compensated by DLSS, lowered texture detail, lowered reflection resolution)
DXR is an option that ISN'T required to play. You can still get the magic 60 FPS @ 1080. But now we're entering entitlement realm where people EXPECT the card to be cheaper if they remove the function. Why would NV remove it and charge less? They aren't AMD giving away performance/features/yada-yada for free. This is a company that has shown to be ruthless and acting surprised one bit that they are going to perserve their margins is insane. This is what I meant by in another thread about "why is it always AMD 4870 Redux" around here. As if AMD is going to continue to give stuff away for free hurting themselves in the process (reference to the FP functions of Radeon 7.)

This is what @BFG10K probably tried to convey, that the price to enabling DXR in the quest for better graphics detail is beginning to stack up as you essentially give up graphical details all around the scene to gain more accurate details in select areas. The loss in FPS and latency is just the cherry on top. This isn't even about RTX 2060 performance in general, we're talking using the same card with 2 different rendering presets.

Maybe RT performance will improve a lot more in the future, maybe newer titles will come with better support, but until then "shaking and crying" from a sarcasm overdose will do little to set the record straight.

I must be too old or something. It's not like new features through out the years weren't demanding on launch. It's not like we were all blasting MSAA or Tessellation or shadows, or whatever the exact moment in time they were released to users. No, they were taxing, and we got our hopes up for when these features would scale down in performance resources so we can use them more freely.

Expecting DXR to be performance free is beyond ridiculous. And complaining its taxing and thus lowers performance and shouldn't be a feature is beyond moronic. You can buy an AMD card, it won't do the nefarious DXR (yet?), you'll still get lesser performance, but at least you get more VRAM. :rolleyes:

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Could I run a 1080Ti as a main GPU, and add in a 2080 as a PhsyX ray tracing card next to it? Will they both fit? Of course I am kidding...

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Stop, for a second and think about this. Just this simple example of yours. "What's more entitled" "I should have gotten...." You're already acting entitled.
I'm acting entitled for comparing value for money or even more importantly, gameplay experience?!

Even in your make believe situation you aren't making any sense.
The $200 card in my make believe situation is the GTX 1060. Reality makes sense last time I checked, at least market reality that is.

People with 1080p 60hz monitors will still buy the 1060 as it's irresponsibly cheaper. People with 1080p high refresh monitors will buy the 2060 and keep DXR off to get those high framerates for their 144Hz monitors, at least in shooters like BF5 and at least until better implementations come to market. People with 1440p monitors will do the math an play at 1440p, on either 2060 or 1070Ti. Did it ever occur to you that DXR performance being VRAM bound may be a good thing in the bigger scheme of things? That maybe they'll fix memory allocation problems in BF5 and get another big 20-40% boost in DXR benchmarks?

DXR is an option that ISN'T required to play. You can still get the magic 60 FPS @ 1080. But now we're entering entitlement realm where people EXPECT the card to be cheaper if they remove the function.
Not only you get 60FPS @ 1080, you get 80+FPS at 1440p. It's right there in the quote you made.

I clearly mentioned this isn't about RTX 2060 performance in general, we're talking using the same card with 2 different rendering presets. It's about consumer choice after buying the card. If you want to talk pricing I consider it a competitive card even when relying 100% on raster performance, but a poor generational leap with little perf/dollar improvement over cards launched in 2016. And since you keep bringing Radeon VII in this discussion, I clearly stated I consider it expensive and likely pushed to the limit when it comes to power consumption. (a professional card in gamer clothing)

This thread is about DXR as it runs today on RTX 2060. This thread is not about a petition to lower RTX 2060 pricing. Nvidia made their pricing strategy, they're entitled to ask whatever price they figure Turing it's worth, and I'm entitled to publicly discuss said pricing, performance in general and performance of new features. What I'm not entitled to is forcing someone to change prices or asking for free cards. Value for money comparisons are made based on historic trends and previous offerings from manufacturers, including Nvidia.

Expecting DXR to be performance free is beyond ridiculous. And complaining its taxing and thus lowers performance and shouldn't be a feature is beyond moronic.
Strong feelings, weak argumentation. Let's just leave it here, we clearly have little to no common grounds on this issue.

Reactions: Mopetar

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I'm acting entitled for comparing value for money or even more importantly, gameplay experience?!

Your scenario didn't specify you were comparing a GTX 1060 to a RTX 2060. Because that isn't an argument being made. Because you can easily get 1080 @ 60 for less than $200, much less. But without stating what I'm actually including in my statement, how would you know what this means?

DXR only counts as a "setting" when its being using it to bash RTX on the head. If you use the same settings the RTX 2060 Ultra+DXR would run circles around the GTX 1080 Ti for HALF the price. But that isn't the argument being used, its "RTX is making things pricier, I don't want it, give me cheaper cards" - that is entitlement.

The $200 card in my make believe situation is the GTX 1060. Reality makes sense last time I checked, at least market reality that is.

You clearly note there are alternatives. That isn't want BFG is saying, especially if you follow his other posts. New features have been performance heavy since inception. Our cards (current) get bogged down if we try to use them. This has been true for years for anything that created any visual flavor. Someone has to pay for it, and it's historically been early adopters. Imagine next gen 3060 does BF5 Ultra + DXR @ 1440p 60, but no, BFG wants it NOW! Or better yet, don't give him DXR, he doesn't like it just give him same ol same, but faster. There is nothing inherently wrong with that. NV hasn't shown they are going that route, yet, but sitting her trying to "ah gotcha!" DXR is just embarassing. Did you not read his other thread? Clearly you don't even need RTX for DXR, he even wagers GTX 1080 Ti will be faster than RTX 2060.

You can bet nVidia will never unlock the feature on the likes of a 1080TI given it would beat a 2060 and maybe even the 2070 in raytracing, yet again proving what garbage these cards really are.

Turding is a fraudulent scam.

Do you agree?

People with 1080p 60hz monitors will still buy the 1060 as it's irresponsibly cheaper. People with 1080p high refresh monitors will buy the 2060 and keep DXR off to get those high framerates for their 144Hz monitors, at least in shooters like BF5 and at least until better implementations come to market. People with 1440p monitors will do the math an play at 1440p, on either 2060 or 1070Ti. Did it ever occur to you that DXR performance being VRAM bound may be a good thing in the bigger scheme of things? That maybe they'll fix memory allocation problems in BF5 and get another big 20-40% boost in DXR benchmarks?

What!? A few posts back I commented on a video that found a good mix of settings. A compromise for a mainstream targeted card. And someone responded to me as if compromising settings on a mainstream card is some kind of unicorn. Yes, I'm aware that people would run with DXR off. I've pointed out how much faster RTX 2060 is over GTX 1060. But, again, my underlining issue with BFG10K is he's acting as if RTX is just a money grab. Again, do you believe GTX 1080 Ti and the likes would be FASTER than RTX 2080 when DXR is enabled? This is why I added my sarcastic "I'll just get Radeon 7, because clearly RTX isn't needed for DXR." You got posters now stating that RT Cores aren't new. In the same thread you had a break down of how RTX 2080 Ti is FASTER than Volta Titan. This poster (BFG10K) is not even arguing in good faith anymore.

Not only you get 60FPS @ 1080, you get 80+FPS at 1440p. It's right there in the quote you made.

I clearly mentioned this isn't about RTX 2060 performance in general, we're talking using the same card with 2 different rendering presets. It's about consumer choice after buying the card. If you want to talk pricing I consider it a competitive card even when relying 100% on raster performance, but a poor generational leap with little perf/dollar improvement over cards launched in 2016. And since you keep bringing Radeon VII in this discussion, I clearly stated I consider it expensive and likely pushed to the limit when it comes to power consumption. (a professional card in gamer clothing)

This thread is about DXR as it runs today on RTX 2060. This thread is not about a petition to lower RTX 2060 pricing. Nvidia made their pricing strategy, they're entitled to ask whatever price they figure Turing it's worth, and I'm entitled to publicly discuss said pricing, performance in general and performance of new features. What I'm not entitled to is forcing someone to change prices or asking for free cards. Value for money comparisons are made based on historic trends and previous offerings from manufacturers, including Nvidia.

I only brought up Radeon 7 as a sarcastic reference to his other thread. It's almost as if you didn't read any of my responses and are essentially making the same argument I made with a few twists. I'm not even in here trying to get BFG10K to change his mind, or anything. I'm just baffled why a long time poster would react this way. It makes me wonder if he had similar reactions with other new features appeared that cratered performance. I can only imagine.

Strong feelings, weak argumentation. Let's just leave it here, we clearly have little to no common grounds on this issue.

Ditto.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
No, we're not suppose to accept the pricing if we don't want to. You don't have to buy this product, hell, I wouldn't even bother with your posts if they were simple "too over priced, turd, next" but the examples you bring up to defend your opinion make you look more desperate in trying to find validation in your opinion. Features are, again, subjective. Price, also. Hell, we've been fighting price / perf wars for years.
I don't need to find validation in my opinion. You on the other hand appear to be frantically trying to validate nVida and their cards.

Yes, that's entitlement. You are not OWED anything by these companies. No one is. This is the part I feel that has been aggravating the crap out of me lately, mind you not just at ATF. You come off more as a snowflake crying you didn't get your precious price / perf metric, and yes I probably sound like a "shill" but I'm tired of reading "I didn't get X because Y reason." And the cherry to me is, just like the snowflakes I spit coffee at as I read their articles in the morning, if someone doesn't agree with you they must be a "dumb consumer."
Just curious, do you own shares in nVidia or have any affiliation with them?

It's strange to get so outraged over an anonymous internet poster criticizing a company. Why do you feel the desperate need to defend the feelings of inanimate objects like video cards?

Perhaps you should get a hobby or something.,

I get that NV dunked on us all. You can are not required to support them. No one is. But this thread is basically "you can't do ultra with ultra DXR @ 1080 on a mainstream card, waaaaaah."
You're not required to post in this thread, either. So why are you here exactly? Trying to validate your opinion or something?

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
The way i see it, RT technology is still too young to be introduced in GPUs. Perhaps in dedicated cards it could be made to work with today's tech but not in current GPUs as the performance penalty is simply too great and, if toned RT down in order not to sacrifice too much performance, it still has too great of a performance impact. Perhaps in a couple of GPU generations this can be mitigated enough and the performance impact is dropped enough to make it worth it?

nVidia would be much better off making GPUs without RT in them, give them ... say ... 10% performance boost, and sell them @ roughly today's 2000 series prices (maybe a chunk less, for the 2080Ti) and would make more money doing it because the chips would be much smaller, thus cheaper to manufacturer and with most likely better yields, and the performance uplift would be better then @ present so the cost could be justified that way.

And if they truly want RT pushed, then a dedicated card is the best way to go because this could be used in conjunction with any nVidia card (even non RTX cards) and, being nVidia, they'd block it from working with AMD cards. It would also mean the onus of making it work in games would be up to them and not game developers, so there's that ...

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I don't need to find validation in my opinion. You on the other hand appear to be frantically trying to validate nVida and their cards.

Just curious, do you own shares in nVidia or have any affiliation with them?

Sure, if it makes you feel better. I'm JHH himself ;)

It's strange to get so outraged over an anonymous internet poster criticizing a company. Why do you feel the desperate need to defend the feelings of inanimate objects like video cards?

Odd, I'm posting against someone's outrage over a company that just seems odd. Do you seriously think GTX 1080 Ti would be faster than RTX 2070 in BF5 Ultra+Ultra DXR? Honest question, because that is where I lose your argument.

EDIT: Figured I'd just Google it, see if someone else decided to even try it. Actually curious if this is doable if other more reputable sites tried it.

Perhaps you should get a hobby or something.,

I do have a hobby. Clearly, I'm in a tech forum - well what use to be a great tech forum - discussing tech.

You're not required to post in this thread, either. So why are you here exactly? Trying to validate your opinion or something?

I dunno, discussing the thread's topic. Linked with your other thread you started, you clearly don't like DXR. It's a money grab. Not sure if NV priced you out and you're upset. Don't know your background, don't care. Just weird seeing you, a poster drenched in pro-Nvidia history, suddenly snap like this. It's just - weird. The RTX 2060 is probably the least of the offending products, but you threw yourself on it like it killed your dog.

But if you wanna moderate, just report me let them handle my involvement in a thread. Any more ad-hominems you got for me?

Last edited:

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Odd, I'm posting against someone's outrage over a company that just seems odd.
Why is it odd? Because it doesn't meet the little check-boxes you put around anonymous forum posters?

Do you seriously think GTX 1080 Ti would be faster than RTX 2070 in BF5 Ultra+Ultra DXR? Honest question, because that is where I lose your argument.
I think it would be faster than a 2060 with the VRAM slider on full. I also wouldn't be surprised if it beat the 2070.

EDIT: Figured I'd just Google it, see if someone else decided to even try it. Actually curious if this is doable if other more reputable sites tried it.
Your quote above says 2070 yet you post a video with a 2080. Nobody ever compared 2080 RTX except you. Are you just trolling now?

I do have a hobby. Clearly, I'm in a tech forum - well what use to be a great tech forum - discussing tech.
Monitoring anonymous posters and having a tantrum when they don't behave like you want is not a hobby.

Just weird seeing you, a poster drenched in pro-Nvidia history, suddenly snap like this. It's just - weird. The RTX 2060 is probably the least of the offending products, but you threw yourself on it like it killed your dog.
Sure, sure, we get it. You keep an sharp eye on the forums and pop up whenever anyone violates your collective criteria of registration date and posting history, like a good little corporate vigilante.

But if you wanna moderate, just report me let them handle my involvement in a thread. Any more ad-hominems you got for me?
The discussion about cards/tech was going just fine until you barged in here and started calling people "entitled SJWs". You're the problem here, not anyone else.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
The discussion about cards/tech was going just fine until you barged in here and started calling people "entitled SJWs". You're the problem here, not anyone else.
Imo anyone lowering themselves to calling cards "Turdling" belongs in wccftech not here. Go read their comments sections if you want to see where that level of discussion ends up.

Muhammed

Jul 8, 2009
Imo anyone lowering themselves to calling cards "Turdling" belongs in wccftech not here. Go read their comments sections if you want to see where that level of discussion ends up.
Indeed! LOL! The level of childish and butt hurt reactions here is amusing.

At least with RTX you have the OPTION to play with higher quality settings that are not available anywhere else! Like it or not DXR is the Battlefield 5's max settings, and you can't even touch that on any AMD hardware.

Some people find it hard to drop textures from Ultra to High, but are OK with playing the game with low SSR instead of ray tracing, the level of hypocrisy here is legendary.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Why is it odd? Because it doesn't meet the little check-boxes you put around anonymous forum posters?

The argument is odd. When you combine the two threads with rather outlandish conclusions, and mix it with your posting history - it's odd, to me at least.

I think it would be faster than a 2060 with the VRAM slider on full. I also wouldn't be surprised if it beat the 2070.

Based on what? This is the part that is odd to me. I get you won't accept Nvidia's own slides, but even in your other thread you had people discrediting your conclusion. You have no foundation to base it on.

Your quote above says 2070 yet you post a video with a 2080. Nobody ever compared 2080 RTX except you. Are you just trolling now?

Can only link what I find. If the GTX 1080 Ti in that video is any indication of performance with DXR forced on, I don't think a Titan Xp would beat a RTX 2060. But you claim other wise, so I'd love to see your own support.

Monitoring anonymous posters and having a tantrum when they don't behave like you want is not a hobby.

Monitoring? Haha. Guess you've ran out of counters. Gotcha ;)

Sure, sure, we get it. You keep an sharp eye on the forums and pop up whenever anyone violates your collective criteria of registration date and posting history, like a good little corporate vigilante.

Empty tank. Kudos BFG, at least you didn't result to calling me a shill...oh wait.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I didn't think an anonymous poster like myself can cut into an anonymous poster like yourself's ego. Continue on with your crusade, brave knight.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Nobody will play bf5 with RT on a 2060 for more than one hour in MP games. Then you have seen the stuff. It looks nice. Fine. You get tired of the 40 to 60fps dips and change. If you can entertain dx12 at all.
It's that simple. The feature will not be used.

This certainly would be most people,myself included at least if i had a 2060. I have been accustomed to a 60+ fps BF experience since my E6750+8800gts 512mb back in 2007.Kind of hurt though on some cards having to disable hbao or lowering effects but in intense fire fights all i care about is killing the enemy.Casual gamers will prob max the game out,deal with the dips then find warrant in a upgrade later on and why not?

Raytracing in BF5 mind as well be the next Crysis benchmark,lovely to look at and believe me every gpu upgrade from the 8800GTS512MB right up to the 1070ti i benched that game but at the end of the day a few settings will be tuned down.