GW or WoW... THE POLL!!!

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
I just purchased GW, havent installed it or played it. But I bought it when I was drunk and I was curious if I should take it back and pick up WoW... Or if I should keep it.

diablo900t

Nov 16, 2004
I've got both. WoW is a true MMO, while Guild Wars is kind of MMO lite, instanced dungeons; i.e. you won't see other players running around your missions only your own party.

There is less of a community feel of Guild Wars, but its less grinding than WoW, and less penalty for death and such.

WoW also has the monthly fee, which if you're only going to be playing a few hours per week is not worth paying. I'm probably going to cancel my account soon.

WoW requires a huge time investment, plus you're paying for it, while Guild Wars you won't be paying if you dont' play - plus less of the grind BS. Also the PvP is really cool. Unless you either have no social life, or have plenty of time to spare and don't work, then WoW will be a better choice if you want to immerse yourself. Casual play, go for Guild Wars, your wallet will thank you.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I gave GW a run, fun game, but it made me want to play everquest 2. After being off WoW for almost a month and after playing guild wars for that time.... everquest 2 is the greatest thing since....... well.... i dont remember much about my life before MMOs

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Pressure
I played WoW for 6 months. I played GW for a week before I ran out of content. You decide.

got to get people to buy your future expansion packs somehow

Litchfield285

Sep 4, 2004
WoW has made me completely forget about all other video games since its release... and now that BG's is out, my obsession is even worse.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
I haven't played Guild Wars, because I've been spending my gaming time enjoying WoW.

Here's my take on the monthly fee, and why it doesn't bother me in the least...

I've had WoW for about three months now. It's such a phenominal game, that I've only purchased one other game (Forza Motorsport) in that timeframe. If WoW were just another typical game, I would've easily bought at least four other games in those three months. So the monthly fee has actually saved me money in the long run.

Litchfield285

Sep 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Wingznut
I haven't played Guild Wars, because I've been spending my gaming time enjoying WoW.

I've had WoW for about three months now. It's such a phenominal game, that I've only purchased one other game (Forza Motorsport) in that timeframe. If WoW were just another typical game, I would've easily bought at least four other games in those three months. So the monthly fee has actually saved me money in the long run.

Yup same for me, except my video game obsession is a little more severe... I usually purchase around 3-4 games a month. Since WoW's release I have only bought like 3 or 4 games total. I have in essence saved hundreds of dollars because of WoW. I realized that any game that I would purchase would be wasted because I spend the little free time I have playing WoW.

Now once I get past WoW I'm going to go in debt because I've missed out on a ton of great titles since its release. :laugh:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: necine
Based on these results I guess Im returning GW and picking up WoW.

I hope you're not serious. An online poll would effect you THAT much that you would take back a game you haven't played yet? GW is a great game and you shouldn't return it...

Brazen

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Litchfield285
Originally posted by: Wingznut

Yup same for me, except my video game obsession is a little more severe... I usually purchase around 3-4 games a month. Since WoW's release I have only bought like 3 or 4 games total. I have in essence saved hundreds of dollars because of WoW. I realized that any game that I would purchase would be wasted because I spend the little free time I have playing WoW.

Now once I get past WoW I'm going to go in debt because I've missed out on a ton of great titles since its release. :laugh:

I think I've bought 3 or 4 games in my life. Try freeonlinegames.com

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Originally posted by: diablo900t
I've got both. WoW is a true MMO

LOL, yep you got that right.

True as in, waste your time grinding through levels killing the same thing over and over again.

Yep thats a MMORPG alright.
MMO shouldn't be like that btw.
only the crappy ones, aka WoW

luigi1

Mar 26, 2005
Well I gotta chime in. WoW is a very good game, no question. A lot (not all) of the wow fans here are first time mmorpg players. Its a fun catagory. One thats held my intrest for a lotta years. Guild Wars is kinda a different beast, And its hard to describe because its kinda the same but kinda different. I'll say this much wow has more content. Guild Wars is more challanging. Both offer PvP at the end game. Guild Wars has no reocuring fees, Wow dings you for 15 a month. Having said that 15 a month would not change my opinion but I find guild wars more fun. More fun cheeper price. But I can understand other guys that see it differently. I cant tell you which is better. Guild Wars is better for me. But then bf2 is great fun with a squad that works together. But so is eq1, ao, ac.... Its the peaple who you hook up with in any game. These games are really about human interaction. My opinion and I could be wrong you never know about this stuff.

Continuity27

May 26, 2005
I'm biased because I like MMORPGs in general.

For me, Guild Wars didn't have nearly the amount of content I've come to love from such games. WoW wasn't my first MMORPG, but I'd definately say it's among the best I've ever played.

WoW is somewhat in the middle between grinding MMOs like FFXI and Everquest, and games like Guild Wars. WoW is set up so that it takes up your time, but only if you want it to, unlike FFXI and Everquest where you NEED a certain amount of time to really get anywhere.

I still prefer FFXI over WoW though, but that's just my taste. I loved WoW.

vital

Platinum Member
Sep 28, 2000
i recommend you get neither. i regret getting WoW because i spent over 20 hours of play time to get to the highest level and realized i could have done so many other productive things instead. i came to the conclusion of canceling my account instead after investing a lot of precious time.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
I tried WoW for a few days, and I really wanted to like it.... I loved WC3, but WoW just bored me. I play GW all the time and still haven't gotten bored with it. There's still plenty to do even if you beat the storyline missions quickly.

Cheetah8799

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2001
I played WoW a lot for about 5 months since release. I got my main to 60, and had an alt up around 20. Not totally hardcore, but close.

Anyway, save yourself the hassle and don't play. You'll likely become addicted like I was, and many people are, unless if you are really good at managing time and tearing yourself away from computer games. The game is so addicting, it's crazy. You'll spend an hour and not get much done, but you won't realize it was an hour wasted killing some dumb murlocs for a few scales...

The reason I stopped payment on my account was because I left town for a week on vacation. When I came back and started WoW, I literally didn't know what to do. I'd seen most all of the content in the game, only Molten Core hadn't been completed for me. SO I really didn't want to play.

Finally, if you don't do many outdoor activities, then maybe WoW is for you. I know I don't have any time for games during the summer because of all the outdoors activities I do. This coming winter though I may consider re-subscribing if Blizzard adds some decent content by then.