Guys under 25

Feb 4, 2009
A guy I know Son asked me two things about this YouTube video
Give me shelter Rolling Stones

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Y2gontVXs

He asked me who the woman's voice was and I forgot, I think its Grace something. He then asked me what movies the images were from. My question is was that guy a complete moron, he's around 20 and seems pretty well educated. I'm not trying to Gen Y bash, I just want opinions.

Do the images look so old that they don't feel real or has modern war changed what you guys think of it?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
I'm 28 and I have to think the guy may just be extremely ignorant. If my memory serves me correctly, even though we covered some post-WWII history in US history classes in middle and high school, the material was either rushed or spartan, usually as a function of it being taught towards the end of the school year.

Nov 25, 2013
A guy I know Son asked me two things about this YouTube video
Give me shelter Rolling Stones

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Y2gontVXs

He asked me who the woman's voice was and I forgot, I think its Grace something. He then asked me what movies the images were from. My question is was that guy a complete moron, he's around 20 and seems pretty well educated. I'm not trying to Gen Y bash, I just want opinions.

Do the images look so old that they don't feel real or has modern war changed what you guys think of it?

The female voice was Merry Clayton. Heck of a voice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merry_Clayton

They don't look all that old to me but I was around then.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
if you listen carefully to Merry's singing the refrain, you can hear her voice crack twice. the last crack also features Jagger yelling whoo as they were recording the vocals together.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
if you listen carefully to Merry's singing the refrain, you can hear her voice crack twice. the last crack also features Jagger yelling whoo as they were recording the vocals together.

Of her inclusion, Jagger said in the 2003 book According to the Rolling Stones: "The use of the female voice was the producer's idea. It would be one of those moments along the lines of 'I hear a girl on this track – get one on the phone.'" ) Summoned from bed around midnight by the producer, Clayton made her recording with just a few takes then returned home to bed. It remains the most prominent contribution to a Rolling Stones track by a female vocalist.

At about 2:59 into the song, Clayton's voice cracks under the strain; once during the second refrain on the word "shot", then on the word "murder" during the third refrain, after which Jagger is faintly heard exclaiming "Woo!" in response to Clayton's powerful delivery. Upon returning home she suffered a miscarriage, attributed by some sources to her exertions during the recording.

If true, never knew that last bit. Great song, and an awesome performance by Clayton.

Also of note, Jagger and Clayton were not singing together:

recorded at a last-minute late-night recording session during the mixing phase, arranged by her friend and record producer Jack Nitzsche.

Pretty cool that it was actually pretty last minute!

------
As for a 20 year old not knowing images from the Vietnam war were not 'some movie'... I don't even know what to say. That's certainly something a 20 year old should know.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
You do know all our history books are edited by Texas school boards for truthiness? And then used nation wide.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
You do know all our history books are edited by Texas school boards for truthiness? And then used nation wide.

Except kids today have access to smartphones and computers with the ability to use them to see through whatever bullshit some scary Texas school board tries to pass off as truth.

They just need to start using those devices to look for facts, not the dumbed down social media or liberal hollywood/television/entertainment industry garbage that is pushed as being cool while learning history/science/math is looked down upon as uncool and boring.

Feb 4, 2009
For the record they guy knew there was a Vietnam war.

I wasn't old enough to remember most of the war. I do remember the end people cramming on helicopters, trucks and ships. Even as a young kid I knew the place was a mess.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Except kids today have access to smartphones and computers with the ability to use them to see through whatever bullshit some scary Texas school board tries to pass off as truth.

They just need to start using those devices to look for facts, not the dumbed down social media or liberal hollywood/television/entertainment industry garbage that is pushed as being cool while learning history/science/math is looked down upon as uncool and boring.

well, for that last bit you can thank conservatives for declaring all those things "evil."

:D

How about we just say that when we want to criticize what is wrong with our modern world, whether or not it truly is wrong, we stop thinking along ignorant binary political lines that really don't hold up to base scrutiny?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
For the record they guy knew there was a Vietnam war.

I wasn't old enough to remember most of the war. I do remember the end people cramming on helicopters, trucks and ships. Even as a young kid I knew the place was a mess.

As someone who was draft age during the winding down of Vietnam (when it was apparent to all we were leaving but Nixon and Kissinger dragged it out for another couple of years and thousands of US deaths) you just made me feel really old.

I'm going to go yell at clouds now.