Guy upstairs has four kids-sounds like a damn zoo

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
*sigh* [charlie brown] I just can't win. [/charlie brown]

So, I live in an apartment. The guy directly above me has his FOUR kids from a previous marriage visiting for the entire damn summer. They range in age from 5-11 years old.

Can you even imagine how much noise four small children make when playing "Jump Up And Down On the Floor Until Mister Mike's Paint Falls Off the Ceiling?" God forbid one of them falls down and gets hurt (happens every 19 minutes) then there's screaming like they're getting a root canal w/no novacaine. :|

So last night I was watching a movie. They started acting like the little heathens they are.
So I cranked up the movie. Ah, better than better! I can't hear them, and the movies sounds goooood.

*bang-bang-bang!* Goes my front door.

It's the girl from downstairs. "Do you know how damn loud your stereo is?!!!"

I just can't win.

ps
Come 2007, I'm buying a house, finally. And I WILL be putting up the 12-foot electrified fence around it, and spending my time in the underground bunker with my beloved Home Theater.

/paranoid

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
I'm listening to Gershwin through my HT system pretty loud :D.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
That sucks. The apartment below me and next to me are vacant so it's as quiet as a house in here and I can crank my sh|t as loud as I want. Not to mention that it's summer in a college town so most of the people who live here are gone. :p

esun

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2001
Get some good headphones. They'll solve both of your problems (just make sure they're closed).

Flash1969

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
I've been in that type of situation and it sucks. Just use it as motivation to get the hell out of there. And when you do, how sweet it will be...

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
I can emphasize. One of the main perks for me when buying my house and leaving the apartment life was the ability to crank my home theater up as loud as I want without worrying somebody might complain. Well, it's not all Shangri-la because I still get to hear my wife bitching about the volume. *sigh*

Sometimes you can't win...

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I have a similar problem. I'm on the bottom floor, and I have a strong subwoofer. My neighbors can't hear a thing. It's the guy ABOVE ME that complains. Noise travels up the wall and through the ceiling better than through the wall apparently. He's okay with it during the day, but it means I can't use my subwoofer at night :(

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Eeezee
I have a similar problem. I'm on the bottom floor, and I have a strong subwoofer. My neighbors can't hear a thing. It's the guy ABOVE ME that complains. Noise travels up the wall and through the ceiling better than through the wall apparently. He's okay with it during the day, but it means I can't use my subwoofer at night :(

Here's a funny story and more evidence that I can't win.

When I moved into my last apt, I got my HT set up and decided it was time to test it out. REALLY test it out.

Over the last few days, I'd noticed that at night all the parking spots in front of my unit were full (people are home) but during the day, there's not a single car there. Logic told me that the building was EMPTY! :Q :D Time to crank it up.

Well, logic coudn't prepare me for the fact that my next door neighbor worked nights, slept days, and kept her car in the garage. :(

Not only did I wake her up, I had to buy her two new picture frames b/c I knocked two of her pictures off the wall and onto her floor. :D (SVS PB2+ will do that :D)

The only answer is to buy a missle silo and move the HT 50 feet underground, surrounded by 15-foot thick concrete walls. I'd be in heaven.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
you'd win if you weren't such a dick. seriously, what does it take to make you understand that people don't like to be disturbed by you anymore than you like to be disturbed by them? yeah, i've got a thousand watts or so of amplifer in my apartment, too, but i don't piss people off with it.

and you've been claiming you were "about" to buy a house since 2003. yeah, i searched.

jonessoda

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2005
The kids upstairs are little undisciplined bas**rds, no doubt about it. Complain to the guy like the chick below complained to you. BTW, is she hot?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
you'd win if you weren't such a dick. seriously, what does it take to make you understand that people don't like to be disturbed by you anymore than you like to be disturbed by them? yeah, i've got a thousand watts or so of amplifer in my apartment, too, but i don't piss people off with it.

and you've been claiming you were "about" to buy a house since 2003. yeah, i searched.

Wow. It's really cool that you've got so much spare time that you can search for my 3-year old threads. Thanks!

Life gets in the way of your plans sometimes. I will be debt free by this time next year. 100% out of debt. I decided to wait to buy a house until I could devote the financial attention that it would require, to it.

Unlike my "angry neighbor" threads in the past, this one isn't necessarily about my neighbors bitching about the stereo. It's about me trying to cover up the sound of 1,000 children running around in the apt above me by turning up the stereo.

Thanks for your contribution to my thread. There's cake and punch on the table behind you; help yourself. :gift:

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: jonessoda
The kids upstairs are little undisciplined bas**rds, no doubt about it. Complain to the guy like the chick below complained to you. BTW, is she hot?

She has a nice body, but she is not my cup of tea. Plus, I've already "done the chick next door", and she became my GF. I posted about 1 million threads about THOSE probs a few years ago. :D No more of that for me, thanks!

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
TUrn up your stereo and then if the downstairs person compains, tell them to go talk to the upstairs person because that's why you had to turn your stereo up. Or, you can complain to the landlord about the upstairs person and let them know that beacuse of their noise that you have to turn things up which is aggrivating others anyway but there's nothing else you can do.

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Originally posted by: jonessoda

She has a nice body, but she is not my cup of tea. Plus, I've already "done the chick next door", and she became my GF. I posted about 1 million threads about THOSE probs a few years ago. :D No more of that for me, thanks!

butter face? :p

Nate

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
TUrn up your stereo and then if the downstairs person compains, tell them to go talk to the upstairs person because that's why you had to turn your stereo up. Or, you can complain to the landlord about the upstairs person and let them know that beacuse of their noise that you have to turn things up which is aggrivating others anyway but there's nothing else you can do.

You're right. But it won't work. The landlord lives in the apt across the hall from my upstairs neighbor. There are 6 people in that apt (all adults). They don't seem bothered by the daycare center across from them. Plus, if I complain to the guy upstairs, what's he supposed to do? HOGTIE the kids and lock them in the closet.

Waitaminute...:evil: Not a bad idea...

Nah, it wont' happen. Allegedly, said little heathens are going back to momma come September. Man, I hope so!