Guy couldnt vote with military ID

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
'cause it was not listed as a valid ID? Why did they have to change the original Voter ID law to let college students vote using student ID? Driver's and State issued ID only in what they passed first.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I don't think you have to be a US citizen to serve in the US military. Although I think that serving for some period of time ought to grant you citizenship, I don't think it does that right now either.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I don't think you have to be a US citizen to serve in the US military. Although I think that serving for some period of time ought to grant you citizenship, I don't think it does that right now either.
Correct.

Military ID is proof of who you are, but not that you are a US citizen.
this is for Enlisted; Officers have to be US citizen.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Aren't military IDs also pretty notoriously unreliable to determine current residency? For example you sign up when living in State A, move a half dozen times in the military and are now trying to vote in State B where you currently reside.

BTW Ken g6 the Dream Act is not the law in the USA, it has been blocked by the GOP so a person will never gain citizenship via military service.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
It simply depends on State law. Some places you can use it, some you can't. If you don't like it, change it.

Thump, IDs aren't use to check your residency anyways. That's what registering to vote is for, they're just to verify you are who you claim to be.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
It simply depends on State law. Some places you can use it, some you can't. If you don't like it, change it.

Thump, IDs aren't use to check your residency anyways. That's what registering to vote is for, they're just to verify you are who you claim to be.

BINGO!!

You have to be fucking registered! This is what I am saying people!

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Here in my polling station in Phoenix, not only do they require an ID. but your ID must match the address they have on file for you. Alternately, you need something...voter ID, utility bill, etc with the matching address. If not, you get a provisional.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I didn't have to show any ID to vote. :awe:

Me either. Although I did hand her the form my new voter ID card came on, complete with voter ID card. I guess that was good enough...why I'm not sure since it had no picture on it. Then again this is IL, a voter and poll person where telling each other why they were voting for Obama.

Chuck

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
No one ever saw me or checked anything. Just had to sign a sheet saying I was a good boy and have to write out my SSN (no one ever falsely gets a hold of these). Seems like a much more dangerous place for fraud.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
My military ID as a retired Marine Corps Officer is proof of US citizenship but I cannot use it as the sole ID to vote because it does NOT have my current address on it.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Showed up, went to table and gave my name.
Signed next to my printed name and signature on file on the sheet and voted.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Military ID is as valid as a passport. However, you would think they would also have a driver's license if they can drive.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
They just asked my name and confirmed my address. I live like 2 blocks from the polling place and there was no waiting.
I live in Southern IL.
Since I live in a small town, they probably recognized me from last time. Them old geezers can barely read.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Military ID is as valid as a passport. However, you would think they would also have a driver's license if they can drive.

Wrong! A military ID, unless it is for an officer of the Regular Establishment, only says you are part of the US military. When I was on active duty we had a CWO in our squadron that was a citizen of Poland. I also met a Marine Corps officer that was a Canadian citizen. Military ID's should NOT be accepted to vote.