Gurus, once again: Is it hard to exchange the fan in the PSU with a quieter one?

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
I'm not a guru, but I dont think that you should be opening up your PS, unless you have a death wish or you really know what you are doing.

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
But is it really such a big deal? I mean hey, exchange the fan(if it isn't soldered;)) and that's it. Am I missing something?

Desmoquattro

Banned
Apr 28, 2001
pretty easy...i had a ps fan dying on me and it was just so damn annoying because it was making this loud whirring noise...so i opened it up...took it off...drilled a blowhole...LOL...and put a Sunon 80mm in there...now it's quieter and blows a lot more air than the generic fan that was in there...and it looks like an enermax with the grill cover in the back. my ps only used the two pins though so...i don't know how other PSs are. keep note that i only opened my ps up because it was a generic...and i wouldn't recommend opening up one of those high quality power supplies.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
ndee, as i said, I'm not an expert. I would just make sure that you know what your doing. You could touch something that would be bad (like a capacitator(i think)) and you could send a nice electric curent through your body, seriously injuring you, or killing you.
I could be wrong on all of this though.

Bakwetu

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I left it for a quople of hours after I had unplugged it before I opnened it and exchanged the fan. I had to cut the wires as they were soldered. To answer your question, no it's really easy. The drawbacks are, if the new fan pushes less air, that your PS will run hotter (shorter lifespan?) and overall cooling will suffer.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I've replaced many fans in power supplies - they're almost always sleeve bearing, so I pop them out when I get them. Easy thing to do - don't touch anything metal in it. Don't reach for anything with your hand.