(Guru3D) kaby Lake i7 is another boring quad

Mar 10, 2006
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-makes-an-appearance.html

Prepare to fall asleep while reading this thread. Its very boring. Its about another quad core i7 in the 4ghz range. :\

Kaby Lake is super boring for PC enthusiasts, that's why I don't recommend that anybody sit there and "wait" for it.

The next big exciting thing from Intel in desktops should be SKL-E, but that's probably not until Computex 2017 (i.e. May/June 2017).

Also, WCCFTech screwing up as usual, mistaking the 7700 for the 7700K. Intel would not regress on base-clock going from SKL->KBL, so this is obviously the i7-7700, replacement for the i7-6700.

My guess is that we will see i7-7700K clocked at around 4.2GHz base/4.4GHz max turbo, matching up with Devil's Canyon from 2014.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I am more interested about this USB 3.1 then i am the processor.Whats the change from USB 3.0?

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
Are you expecting Zen to deliver better performance than Kaby Lake?

no he's expecting zen to force intel to give up on efficiency and focus more on performance.

this 5-10 increase is getting quite dull.

good news is people who bought in to sandy/ivy bridge still don't have to upgrade.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2006
no he's expecting zen to force intel to give up on efficiency and focus more on performance.

You mean the same AMD that showed this slide to investors/analysts in 2012?

MAKmVpB.png

"Focus on power-performance optimized cores"

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I am excited about Kaby Lake. Might finally bring down Skylake prices.

Nowadays the best deals on CPUs are Intel's previous models right when actual stores (Fry's, Microcenter) start to need to clear inventory space.

Mar 10, 2006
a slide from amd dictates what intel does?

But AMD is focusing on power/performance, so why would you expect Intel to do any differently, especially in response to AMD given its stated focus?

Today's computing markets are all about efficiency, from notebooks to the server room.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Are you expecting Zen to deliver better performance than Kaby Lake?
I don't think it's going to be faster, at best, it might match it in MT workloads but again, they will try to do so within the 95w power envelope (my guess), so unless overclocked, it's going to be okay, if pitted against KL, and won't be that cheap either. Likely going to win the perf/$ award, though. But Zen is definitely being overhyped here (and so was Haswell 3 years ago (AVX2), I remember that too). BD-E is going to be very sexy, if overclocks well and does so within 'reasonable' power consumption. That's what I am looking forward to, right now. But I am ready to disappointed and/or proved wrong. I am easy going. Question remains, if they give AM4 socket more than 8 cores/modules. Time will tell.

SKL-E, not so much. For the 16nm process, I expected better results (power consumption in particular; versus the older 22nm/3770K). When they get back FIVR, things might get exciting again.

Last edited:

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
But AMD is focusing on power/performance, so why would you expect Intel to do any differently, especially in response to AMD given its stated focus?

Today's computing markets are all about efficiency, from notebooks to the server room.

amd has to focus on power consumption.

and if you haven't heard notebooks are dead.

there niche is gone.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Anyone surprised about this? Not really, no. Improvements on GPU side for HTPC/Media usage and that's about it. The only unknown is that the platform adds support for Intel optane products, eg. 3D XPoint. However we don't know if they mean in memory form factory and how expensive such products will be. But having that non-volatile memory can make a tremendous impact on usability for certain use-cases. Absolutely no stuttering.

I am more interested about this USB 3.1 then i am the processor.Whats the change from USB 3.0?

Double maximum theoretical transfer speed from 5 Gbit/s to 10 Gbit/s.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Right, hard to get excited about a likely <Haswell performance 4-8 core CPU with hyperthreading, sold in 2017, with a software environment (for desktop users) that generally only benefits much from 2-4 hardware threads.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Anyone surprised about this? Not really, no. Improvements on GPU side for HTPC/Media usage and that's about it. The only unknown is that the platform adds support for Intel optane products, eg. 3D XPoint. However we don't know if they mean in memory form factory and how expensive such products will be. But having that non-volatile memory can make a tremendous impact on usability for certain use-cases. Absolutely no stuttering.

Double maximum theoretical transfer speed from 5 Gbit/s to 10 Gbit/s.

You mean those fixed function HEVC decoders that every ARM SoC vendor and their mom will surely have by end of this year?

There is some good irony in HEVC decoding that is very compute intensive on general purpose CPUs yet runs so well with increasingly capable fixed function units that Intel CPU advantages are rendered completely irrelevant here.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
You mean those fixed function HEVC decoders that every ARM SoC vendor and their mom will surely have by end of this year?

There is some good irony in HEVC decoding that is very compute intensive on general purpose CPUs yet runs so well with increasingly capable fixed function units that Intel CPU advantages are rendered completely irrelevant here.

Exactly what I mean. + HDPC 2.2. I agree it's not huge but if you gonna keep the CPU for a decade, 4k HEVC support will come in handy one mainstream moves away from 1080p in couple of years.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Exactly what I mean. + HDPC 2.2. I agree it's not huge but if you gonna keep the CPU for a decade, 4k HEVC support will come in handy one mainstream moves away from 1080p in couple of years.
Easy. Just let Google up the minimum YouTube resolution to say 4K or 8K. People will upgrade, en masse :cool:

Software makes things obsolete. Simple. People won't upgrade until you know. Same with phones, new iOS is out, iPhone 4 is dead. Want new/updated apps? Upgrade iOS => Buy a new phone or lose your jailbreak :p

Exactly the model, these companies ought to introduce. Or better yet, make a time bomb, after 3 years processor stops to function. Or something. Opportunitties are endless :p

Windows 10 is moving in the right direction. Intel has a good 'mentor', lol.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012

There is irony indeed. because those SoC decoders are usually bugged to hell. limited to what formats they support and bitrates. Usually 30FPS as well.

SAAA

May 14, 2014

Well, I didn't expect less from WCCFTECH :\

Still I agree with the common thought: Kabylake will be really unimpressive. At least you expected it with the Haswell "refresh" but using a different name this time sounds just... wrong.
Let's see what they add in to make the deal somehow better.

Mar 10, 2006
Well, I didn't expect less from WCCFTECH :\

Still I agree with the common thought: Kabylake will be really unimpressive. At least you expected it with the Haswell "refresh" but using a different name this time sounds just... wrong.
Let's see what they add in to make the deal somehow better.

It's more than Haswell refresh, there are actual improvements/changes to the SoCs. Haswell Refresh truly was just, "hey, let's boost the clock speeds of these Haswell chips a bit."

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
It's more than Haswell refresh, there are actual improvements/changes to the SoCs. Haswell Refresh truly was just, "hey, let's boost the clock speeds of these Haswell chips a bit."

Arguably, the cpu side of Haswell Refresh was quite dull, however, the new chipset brought some decent features. Quite sad in a way when the chipset is the more exciting part of a cpu launch.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
The headline is really stupid because we knew since ages that Kabylake won't get more cores and is just a new Skylake Stepping, means only a minor IPC difference or clock increase is expected. Apart from the slightly higher default DDR4 frequency which helps a bit. It's amusing what people expect sometimes. The most exciting thing (for notebooks in particular) is the hardware support of 10 Bit HEVC/VP9 decoding/encoding. This is the biggest flaw of Skylake actually. Second biggest flaw is the missing HDMI 2.0, we have to wait till Cannonlake for this it seems.