[Guru3d]Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare PC graphics benchmark review

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
With these settings, the 970 was registering 3.7GBs of video ram usage in MSI Afterburner, while the 7950 was registering 2.93GBs. You can see that the 7950 system could be under quite some data swapping between ram and vram, hence the higher frametimes.

Must not be a common sight to see a 7950 3GB running into VRAM issues. Surely a poor omen for the faster 3GB GK110 and GP106 cards. On the flip side, good for users to see 970 is above 3.5GB just fine here.

Aug 11, 2008
970 to 770 is the same as i said. COD uses 4GB with 970 and the slow 512mb are killing the performance. Using just 770 with 2gb is alright, the game uses lower texture quality.
Why is reducing details with lower vram bad? Actually its good, as you get max details in some scenes and middle in others versus always middle details. Also this is not a new technology. CoD is using this since Advanced Warfare, Mirrors Edga has it, Hitman has it. Only Advantage is that you can deactivate it in Hitman and Mirrors Edge, but more and more Engines will use it in future. Actually this is tech coming from consoles to us. Next step is adaptiv resolution depending on framerate which consoles are using. Everything good tech, as long as you can also deactivate it if you want. It's just important to always look how websites are testing, whether they deactivate it, i'm thinking many testers don't care and then test with different image qualities.
Yea, that adaptive technology would seem to be a good optimization feature. However, seems like the last few COD games have used a lot of resources for the image quality, especially for a game which used to be very easy to run. Even a couple of games ago, wasnt there an issue that the game would not run without 6gb of system ram or something like that? Later it was patched out IIRC>

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Must not be a common sight to see a 7950 3GB running into VRAM issues. Surely a poor omen for the faster 3GB GK110 and GP106 cards. On the flip side, good for users to see 970 is above 3.5GB just fine here.

Out of the benchmarks I have done lately on the 7950, in Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, ROTTR, CoD Infinite Warfare, Unity Adam Demo, CoD Modern Warfare Remastered, the 7950 showed full 3GBs of Vram usage.

With the same settings, the 970 showed a difference in vram usage, ranging from 200MBs up to a full 1GB in Unity Adam Demo.

In a captain obviously manner, I would say that it's not a good thing to be restricted by vram (or even ram for that matter). Still, it seems there is some tolerance built into game engines (or apis and windows itself), thanks to which performance does not instantly tank if you go above your system specs. Also it seems that frametimes get a hit first and framerate second. Of course there is always the option to tune down a thing or two and be fine.

Now regarding the 970, it seems that the 3.5+0.5 configuration can be manipulated so it has minimal impact on the performance. I have seen instances where it climbed up to 4GBs and it was fine ROTTR, Adam Unity Demo, CoD Black Ops III, but the vast majority of apps/games seem to prefer sitting comfortably in the 3.5GB zone.

Modern Warfare Remastered has a "Fill remaining memory" option, which when selected will push the 970 at 4GBs also. The card still seems to be working ok, but you know it's not doing any rendering on the 0.5GB space because without this option vram usage drops by 500-700MB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Headfoot

SlickR12345

Jan 9, 2010
www.clubvalenciacf.com
Just benched the whole game or as I finished the campaign in one day and with my RX 480 8GB the average frame rate was 67fps(my card is overclocked and I use 100% manual fan setting) on 1440p with max settings and no AA or things like that.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Rx 480 performance in recent AAA titles has been extremely impressive. Forza Horizon 3, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, COD Infinite Warfare . The list continues to grow. The Rx 480 is faster than R9 390X and even beating the R9 Fury in COD Infinite Warfare. Damn impressive.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Game looks like a slower, less interesting version of Titanfall 2. Good looking graphics though for the most part, not blowing me away but solid as usual for a COD title. The gun models always look good.

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
Rx 480 performance in recent AAA titles has been extremely impressive. Forza Horizon 3, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, COD Infinite Warfare . The list continues to grow. The Rx 480 is faster than R9 390X and even beating the R9 Fury in COD Infinite Warfare. Damn impressive.
Yeah its very close to GTX1070 performance and i dont like it lol...i pay 50% more for GTX1070..maybe i should buy rx480 instead...

Its only around 20% in those games.When rx480 was realeased it was 50% avg...

Last edited:

USER8000

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2012
Seems to do very well on AMD cards and the remastered version of Call of Duty 4 is not so good.