Guns Don't Die, Children Do

GreenGreen

Feb 8, 2015
It's my first thread here and I want to start with the issue that worries me a lot.

One in three people in the U.S. know someone who has been shot. On average, 32 Americans are murdered with guns every day and 140 are treated for a gun assault in an emergency room. Every day on average, 51 people kill themselves with a firearm, and 45 people are shot or killed in an accident with a gun. The reality is really frightening. Is there any hope, that the situation can change?

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
This smells like spam to me. Mods, what do you think? This guy joins a tech forum this month, for the sole purpose of posting this political post?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Good luck OP! As you can see, gun nutters are unable to have a rational discussion. At the mere mention of gun violence the nutters put forth every logical fallacy that comes to mind instead of debating the actual topic.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Good luck OP! As you can see, gun nutters are unable to have a rational discussion. At the mere mention of gun violence the nutters put forth every logical fallacy that comes to mind instead of debating the actual topic.

And I guess control nutters just throw around insults.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Let's debate.

How many people are in the USA?

350+ million.

32 are murdered on a daily basis.

How many of those 32 are related to inner city gangs (opps! "Youths")?

Suicides are irrelevant since it only matters to the person who's dead.
Accidents are irrelevant since it only matters if you are around firearms. Which I don't suppose you are in that pool.

How many do we have left? How many are children like your topic suggests?

Really? You're scared?

Last edited:

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Let's debate.

How many people are in the USA?

350+ million.

32 are killed on a daily basis.

How many of those 32 are related to inner city gangs (opps! "Youths")?

How many are suicides?

How many do we have left?

Really? You're scared?

No point in debating one-sided stats when we don't know the number of incidents of defensive gun use because so many go unreported. Whether it's a woman preventing herself from rape, a would-be home invasion thwarted, etc. the stats aren't as solidly counted.

Or say someone gets drunk or high and then shoots someone, let me guess, that counts as homicide caused by guns but is not counted towards homicides caused by drugs/alcohol/whatever? Depending on how you collect stats, that could change things quite a lot.

Last edited:

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
No point in debating one-sided stats when we don't know the number of incidents of defensive gun use because so many go unreported. Whether it's a woman preventing herself from rape, a would-be home invasion thwarted, etc. the stats aren't as solidly counted.

Doesn't matter to these people. It's no different than alcohol related traffic accidents. If someone who had a single drink was stopped at a red light, and some soccer mom ran into them who was completely sober. It's still an alcohol related accident because at least 1 party in the accident had some alcohol. Even if they were not the cause.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
It's my first thread here and I want to start with the issue that worries me a lot.

One in three people in the U.S. know someone who has been shot. On average, 32 Americans are murdered with guns every day and 140 are treated for a gun assault in an emergency room. Every day on average, 51 people kill themselves with a firearm, and 45 people are shot or killed in an accident with a gun. The reality is really frightening. Is there any hope, that the situation can change?

Yes the solution is to have stricter gun control laws. Then we can be like Mexico. The only people who are allowed to have guns are the cartels and cops who work for the cartels.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

Since the 2nd Amendment isn't being repealed, I guess if you can invest in some level III kevlar or get used to people with firearms. Anything but the typical third option you guys choose; namely making pointless complaints on a message board.

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006
Guns most certainly do die.

Overpressure, corrosion, plain old mechanical wear, etc.

Angry Irishman

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2010
5ecb7f95cd319f7cc91c822706c7980c1407cf0ff8b6e3a1c88469c57b1b6dca.jpg

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Eh, those numbers aren't even close to frightening or concerning to me. Also, spam.

Nov 25, 2013
Yes the solution is to have stricter gun control laws. Then we can be like Mexico. The only people who are allowed to have guns are the cartels and cops who work for the cartels.

Strictly regulated, yes. Banned, no.

"A common misconception is that firearms are illegal in Mexico and that no person may possess them.[3] This belief originates due the general perception that only members of law enforcement, the armed forces, or those in armed security protection are authorized to have them. While it is true that Mexico possesses strict gun laws,[4] where most types and calibers are reserved to military and law enforcement, the acquisition and ownership of certain firearms and ammunition remains a constitutional right to all Mexican citizens and foreign legal residents;[5] given the requirements and conditions to exercise such right are fulfilled in accordance to the law."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Mexico