Guns Definitely Aren't the Problem (Obligatory Sarcasm) - 11y/o Bystander Killed by Stray Bullet

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Which is a training issue. Every basic training class for kids (and adults) includes "muzzle down, dont hold your finger on the trigger, and dont point at anything you dont want to kill.
You clearly have no experience with kids lol.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It still cracks me up that the chucklefuck leader of the oath keepers or whatever it's called pulled a Ralphie Parker and shot his own eye out.

That's the intelligence we are dealing with on the average gun owner.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't know. And neither do you. We are both guessing on that issue.
But the same argument would go for anything dangerous.
Yes and that is part of the point. Dangerous things exist because they provide functionality. We don’t ban cars, we impose age requirements and the digestion and the correct regurgitation of laws and safety measures even though cars can be used to murder people. Sometimes many almost instantaneously. We don’t ban SUVs even though lots of people drive them for self defense meaning someone in a small car may be killed in a collision with one.

We don’t ban many dangerous things so that people who find them functional won’tlegally prevented fron using them. But with guns,people who don’t want to own them are quite willing to impose their fear based authoritarianism on others.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
And how will you know if you are capable of understanding the real answer if it were in fact the last think you want to know which it is.

sounds like your assumption talking again. I wouldn’t real expect a real answer from you at this point anyways.

Reactions: Pohemi

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yes and that is part of the point. Dangerous things exist because they provide functionality. We don’t ban cars, we impose age requirements and the digestion and the correct regurgitation of laws and safety measures even though cars can be used to murder people. Sometimes many almost instantaneously. We don’t ban SUVs even though lots of people drive them for self defense meaning someone in a small car may be killed in a collision with one.

We don’t ban many dangerous things so that people who find them functional won’tlegally prevented fron using them. But with guns,people who don’t want to own them are quite willing to impose their fear based authoritarianism on others.
You're comparing guns to cars? Oh boy.

I'm going to take my gun to help keep this economy going and go shopping and go to work and enjoy my leisure time.

Because guns are like cars. They're so similar it's impossible not to make the comparison.

Reactions: Pohemi and gradoman

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
sounds like your assumption talking again. I wouldn’t real expect a real answer from you at this point anyways.
I have told you my opinion of what the real answer is along with the fact you won’t hear it because you prefer being deaf. You don’t want to know what you feel. Knowing hurts as much as we can hurt at first. Everything you fear, however, has already happened. We died as children and kill our future for fear of knowing it.

• Haha

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You're comparing guns to cars? Oh boy.

I'm going to take my gun to help keep this economy going and go shopping and go to work and enjoy my leisure time.

Because guns are like cars. They're so similar it's impossible not to make the comparison.
I am not comparing guns to cars. I am suggesting that the utility of dangerous things is not fixed by how dangerous they are but by how individuals always see the utility based on how much they fear their own relationship to to that utility being cut. The more important the utility of a thing is to an individual, the more it is held as a sacred cow, the more a person will place the value of that utility above the risk.

The authoritarian left will tend to see guns as a risk whereas people who live farther from timely protection of the law will see them more as insurance. I sympathize more with that second view point. I was a scout. Be prepared!

• Haha

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I am not comparing guns to cars. I am suggesting that the utility of dangerous things is not fixed by how dangerous they are but by how individuals always see the utility based on how much they fear their own relationship to to that utility being cut. The more important the utility of a thing is to an individual, the more it is held as a sacred cow, the more a person will place the value of that utility above the risk.

The authoritarian left will tend to see guns as a risk whereas people who live farther from timely protection of the law will see them more as insurance. I sympathize more with that second view point. I was a scout. Be prepared!
I think you might have shot your gun by accident when cleaning it into the part of your brain that prevents cognitive dissonance.

You literally wrote a post comparing guns to cars because cars can kill people too sometimes multiple at once.

I would take a break from cleaning your guns for a while.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think you might have shot your gun by accident when cleaning it into the part of your brain that prevents cognitive dissonance.

You literally wrote a post comparing guns to cars because cars can kill people too sometimes multiple at once.

I would take a break from cleaning your guns for a while.

This kind of thinking is something I am used to with you. You seem to be looking for something to argue with rather than charitably understand. I did not compare. in the sense you want to imply, that cars and guns are the same. I attempted to explain how two potentially dangerous different things are seen differently based on a that person’s individual sense of their utility. This is perhaps a subtlety you aren’t built to handle. Try looking at what I said as if it were said by somebody you admire. :)

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The solution is pretty simple though, simply go all the way back to 2006 when the 2nd amendment didn’t mean individuals had a right to own a gun. Then let the states do whatever they need to do to protect their people.

All this requires is a Supreme Court that’s logical and not ideologically driven. We can get that by expanding the courts and ban shadow docket type rulings (non rulings).

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The solution is pretty simple though, simply go all the way back to 2006 when the 2nd amendment didn’t mean individuals had a right to own a gun. Then let the states do whatever they need to do to protect their people.

All this requires is a Supreme Court that’s logical and not ideologically driven. We can get that by expanding the courts and ban shadow docket type rulings (non rulings).
The 2nd amendment is a part of the constitution that governs the nation. Why should an enumerated right be interpreted differently in different states. Why sould people in one state have liberal gun laws and other states have conservative ones? Shouldn't everybody have equal rights? This means that criminals in conservative states will be able to arm themselves in excess of the citizens of that state being equipped to protect themselves because the equipment will be legal to buy elsewhere. Fear politics will only encourage conservative gun states to tie one arm of their citizenry behind their backs for the sake of a vote.

And such a approach only means the real issues behind violence remain untouched. And changing the makeup of the the SC has only proven easy for Republicans.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I have told you my opinion of what the real answer is along with the fact you won’t hear it because you prefer being deaf. You don’t want to know what you feel. Knowing hurts as much as we can hurt at first. Everything you fear, however, has already happened. We died as children and kill our future for fear of knowing it.

standard MB canned response.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The 2nd amendment is a part of the constitution that governs the nation. Why should an enumerated right be interpreted differently in different states. Why sould people in one state have liberal gun laws and other states have conservative ones? Shouldn't everybody have equal rights? This means that criminals in conservative states will be able to arm themselves in excess of the citizens of that state being equipped to protect themselves because the equipment will be legal to buy elsewhere. Fear politics will only encourage conservative gun states to tie one arm of their citizenry behind their backs for the sake of a vote.

And such a approach only means the real issues behind violence remain untouched. And changing the makeup of the the SC has only proven easy for Republicans.

Because the 2A is about the states rights to protect themselves from a overpowered centralized government.

I don’t think states having different rules is all bad. By the numbers it looks like a primary driver behind gun death rate differences between states though. This would be in addition to the problems listed in this post

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
While we are at it why don't we make it so people can't die or take any damage at all. Make everyone immortal and indestructible. That will also fix the problem. As long as we are talking about fantasy solutions, I think mine should at least be considered.
The presumption is that you know enough to know what is fantasy and what is not. It's easy to assume you know what you feel if you have never experienced the retrieval of suppressed feelings by feeling what you feel. Some people are driven to discovery by seeking the answers to questions like what is the Matrix. Others not so much....

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Because the 2A is about the states rights to protect themselves from a overpowered centralized government.

I don’t think states having different rules is all bad. By the numbers it looks like a primary driver behind gun death rate differences between states though. This would be in addition to the problems listed in this post

The important point, in my opinion, is that effort to solving gun violence is never direct at it's root cause. It isn't the number of guns but the number of sick individuals our culture of competition and fear creates pulling triggers. We are all infected with the disease that for many leads to violent acts of hate. Nobody wants to see who they are, what they deny but feel irrespective of superficial pretense. Know what you feel and you will know what other hide from themselves.

There are sensible things to do about gun violence with sensible regulations but the solution itself lies in a completely different direction. Bandages for symptoms in the American way.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It's like nobody reads anymore. The 2nd amendment is based entirely upon needing a well regulated militia.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
How come in all these other 1st world countries where they have strict gun laws but way less gun deaths/incidents, the scary bad guys don't seem to be running things since criminals are the only people who supposedly have guns?

How come it would only be the criminals in America who would be running things with their scary guns?

Is this another thing that Jesus said when he gave America their god given right to own guns? I may have missed that commandment.

And I grew up Christian and went to catholic schools from K-12. For the life of me I can't remember learning about this from Jesus.

Reactions: sandorski and KMFJD

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The important point, in my opinion, is that effort to solving gun violence is never direct at it's root cause. It isn't the number of guns but the number of sick individuals our culture of competition and fear creates pulling triggers. We are all infected with the disease that for many leads to violent acts of hate. Nobody wants to see who they are, what they deny but feel irrespective of superficial pretense. Know what you feel and you will know what other hide from themselves.

There are sensible things to do about gun violence with sensible regulations but the solution itself lies in a completely different direction. Bandages for symptoms in the American way.

ok, so how will you legislate this

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

The 2nd Amendment ensured that the states had a right to protect themselves, how they do that is up to them. The good news is that it’s easier for citizens to change the laws at the state level than at the federal level. Yes it would be better if all states were on the same page but that’s not how our constitution is set up. As it stands now states can’t even enact gun laws that a majority of its citizens want. That’s anti democratic and it directly violates the 2nd amendment.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Thank you Jesus for the willing sacrifice of this 11 year old child in the name of freedom. Their name shall be written on the Wall of Patriots who have proudly given their lives to the cause of guns and enrichment of the NRA and the gun industry.