Gunman opens fire in City Council Meeting in St. Louis

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
chock one up for St. Louis's rating of being most dangerous city in the US... (which was recently succeeded to Detroit)

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK
chock one up for St. Louis's rating of being most dangerous city in the US... (which was recently succeeded to Detroit)

This happened about 3-4 miles from my house, in an area only marginally related to the part of the metro area that ended up on that list.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: rivan

This happened about 3-4 miles from my house, in an area only marginally related to the part of the metro area that ended up on that list.

yea i know.. but still..

i'm in downtown stl at the moment.. get to drive through east saint on my way home.. i love this place

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
wow, i was just recently there. had dinner at the hill once, and sushi at wasabi on washington ave. never realized that st.louis' that bad.

i even drove by the "pet parade" , so many people and dogs!!!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I was about to tell you this was a REPOST from P&N...till I checked the timestamps...:eek:

So I labeled MY post there as a REPOST....:D

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000

:facepalm;

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
There was a shooting at a funeral in north St. Louis a couple months ago. Some guys drove by and shot people as they filed out of the church after the funeral of someone else who had been gunned down recently. They interviewed some of the people at the church and said that things there had gotten so bad that the cops won't even go there anymore, so people just stopped calling in and reporting crimes. :( That area of the city is so gripped with crime (highly correlated with poverty) that most people won't even drive through there during the middle of the day, let alone at night.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: sandorski
I wonder why the dude wanted to shoot the Mayor?

he was deranged, he had gotten hundred of citations from the city and basically went crazy/obcessed/paranoid that the city was "out to get him" and he went off the deep end and shot them all up

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Pepsei
wow, i was just recently there. had dinner at the hill once, and sushi at wasabi on washington ave. never realized that st.louis' that bad.

i even drove by the "pet parade" , so many people and dogs!!!

It's not 'that bad', though this particular burb has seen way more action than normal lately. A cop killer, child molester and kidnapper, and now this.

North St. Louis City (the area CycloWizard refers to) is terrible, crime-wise, and is almost solely responsible for the 'dangerous city' ranking. St. Louis is more a bunch of small towns grown together than a single city - the shooting last night happened miles from the end of St. Louis City, in one of the suburbs that make up the metro area. Most of those burbs are very safe - and large portions of the City proper are quite safe - I lived in South City myself for 9 years and never had an issue with any crime worse than littering and illegal parking.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT

he was deranged, he had gotten hundred of citations from the city and basically went crazy/obcessed/paranoid that the city was "out to get him" and he went off the deep end and shot them all up

citations for what though?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: FoBoT

citations for what though?

mostly not getting proper building permits

Gerald Thornton said his brother?s problems with the city stemmed from disagreements over building permits. Charles Thornton owned a construction company, Cook Co., that was frequently cited for performing work without the proper permits.

Charles Thornton was cited for more than 126 violations totaling around $64,000, Gerald Thornton said.

The city?s arguments were wrong, his brother said, but when Thornton challenged them in court, his arguments were overruled. It was those failures to find justice in the courts that led him to act last night.
http://www.kansascity.com/116/story/481269.html