Gun violence down, dramatically. Yet americans think its UP.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
here is a hint: check out the demographics involved in most gun crimes. They are not committed by gun nuts who masturbate with gun lube and spend two days a month at the range preparing for a war they will never see.

RACIST STEREOTYPING!!! THOSE ARE JUST MERE COINCIDENCES THAT OCCUR FREQUENTLY!!!! No association between all the frequencies what-so-ever. To look at that is RACIST SO STOP!

:p

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
here is a hint: check out the demographics involved in most gun crimes. They are not committed by gun nuts who masturbate with gun lube and spend two days a month at the range preparing for a war they will never see.

Demos would show poor people commit more gun crime.

Zxian

May 26, 2011
Kindly explain Kennesaw GA, a town of 35,000 just north of Atlanta where since 1982 it's been a legal mandate that every able household own a gun and keep ammunition for it. Their crime rate, of all varieties, is near zero. Of course, they also have 60,000/year average salary per household, much higher than the national average.
Bolded part is the answer. The crime rate would also likely be near zero in Kennesaw if there were zero firearms. If people are doing well enough, nobody needs to steal, and nobody needs to break the law. Switzerland has similar mandates when it comes to gun ownership.

As you say, the causes of our gun crime are many and varied, but availability is not the decisive factor, nor is it the concept of a "right" vs a "privilege".
The combination of a very large number of people below the poverty line along with the accessibility is a large part the issue. Desperation leads to action. Put a gun in the hands of a desperate man and eventually you'll get a tragedy.

Societal norms and perspective come into play as well I feel a lot safer here in Vancouver knowing that the average Joe on the street does not have a gun rather than me being able to carry one myself. I've mentioned it before - I grew up with firearms at home. There were many long rifles and three handguns in the gun closet all throughout high school. However, living where I do, I don't see a valid reason to carry a handgun with me even if I had the right or legal ability to do so. I was never brought up with the perspective that the unknown individual wants to cause me harm, or that the government could be corrupted to the point of violent response.

The possibility to add Amendments were put in place to adjust for the changing times. For example, the 18th bans alcohol - 21th repeals it. Opinions changed, then they changed back. The 2nd Amendment was originally a discussion regarding the militia and the necessity to defend against foreign invasion. It was also adopted before the federal government had an army of considerable size (that's obviously changed since then). Maybe it's because the topic wasn't hammered into my head during school, but why is the concept of repealing an amendment so big? Is it because the 2nd was part of the Bill of Rights?

As a counter argument - what do you suggest to prevent the average of 100 gun-related deaths that happen every day? Accept for the moment that it is a problem - present a solution.

Russia has a similar problem. Heard a report on NPR, private gun ownership is nearly outlawed, it is Very difficult to obtain for an ordinary citizen (Russian mafia notwithstanding). And yet, the murder rate in Russia (by any means) is nearly 5 times that of the US. (I'm trying to find the source, but most of those murders are not actually performed via gun). Russia also has a problem with violence. The mindset of being OK with this is a sickness, its invasive, and it should be corrected.
While this is true, the homicide rate in Russia has dropped by well over 50% in the past eight years. The rate in the States has also been decreasing, but it's slower than that and there are still some regions/states where crime/homicide/death rates have gone up.