Gun Store that sold weapon used in killings found is raid by the ATF.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
The only fishy thing are the laws that make it legal for people to hoard military grade mankilling weaponry that make these sorts of killing sprees possible.

Can you name me a military or two that widely uses the weapon the shooter used?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
It would have to be very shitty reporting because the story reads that the thief already stole an AR-15 without the store knowing. As reported by the police who found that weapon in a duffel bag. So either the reporters misquoted the police or the police can't identify an AR-15.

I would find it very hard to believe that the police couldn't tell the difference between a .50 caliber rifle and an AR-15. The difference is absurdly huge to anyone that knows even a moderate amount about firearms.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
The entire Newtown incident lasted approximately two minutes of shooting. The perpetrator was approximately six feet tall and 110 lbs, ie a skinny weakling. He left his most potent firearm in the car and authorities speculate because it was just too much weight for him to carry.

Certainly this guy did this because he was crazy. But why do we are a society insist that such easy access to mass killing weapons be allowed? No hunter needs these multishot magazines and they are certainly not constitutionally protected. We need politicians with some backbone and common sense to stand up to these special interest groups who are ACTUALLY killing us and our children.

And what was his most potent weapon that he left in the car?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
This would be akin to someone stealing 15 cars and committing a hit and then the owner saying he didn't know they were stolen after the fact.

I think if any firearm is stolen from you than you should have a window of 48 hours to report it stolen otherwise you should be criminally liable for anything that happens with that gun. This would apply to everyone not just gun dealers.

I don't know about going that far. I could definitely believe that the gun shop could have had a single gun stolen and not realize it until they did complete inventory. I know a few people with guns that rarely use theirs, I could steal it from them and they wouldn't know for weeks or even months.

OTOH, this story is absurd. I simply can't imagine that kind of expensive and large inventory going missing without anyone noticing. I guess my point is that I might be willing to meet you in the middle on this one.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The .50 cal snub nosed round was a standard sniper and squad defense type weapon. One reason is it can shoot straight through a car door. If you are in the military doing vehicle stops it is quite appropriate. It sould probably either go through bullet proof vests or severy damage the wearer from just the force. If you look for such weapons on youtube you may find some more information. However, in the Military a .50 cal would probably be considered an offensive weapon.

Note: I was in the US Army but I was never in Combat.

I heard they used this type of weapon in Iraq.

I think they also have used this type of weapon by drug runners in Mexico.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
The .50 cal snub nosed round was a standard sniper and squad defense type weapon. One reason is it can shoot straight through a car door. If you are in the military doing vehicle stops it is quite appropriate. It sould probably either go through bullet proof vests or severy damage the wearer from just the force. If you look for such weapons on youtube you may find some more information. However, in the Military a .50 cal would probably be considered an offensive weapon.

Never heard of a .50 BMG cartridge that uses a snub nosed bullet. I read once some teams used the .50 Beowulf with their modified M4's at some checkpoints and that is somewhat of a snubby, but rare in comparison to the .50 BMG.

Anyway, the .50 BMG can destroy an engine block, let alone go through a car door. Heck, even a 5.56 / .308 can easily go through a car door. The two most common platforms for the .50 are the M-2 and the various makes of sniper rifles like Barrett and MacMillan. Both are commonly used in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Even the Coast Guard uses .50 sniper rifles for interdiction duties. They provide an easy method to disable a speedboats engine that is carrying hundreds of pounds of coke and intent on getting away. A .50 was also used in rescuing the captain of that Maersk container ship that was kidnapped by Somali pirates.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

There are a few "50 caliber snub nose" pistols on the market right now but the round that they fire are VERY different from the .50BMG round used by snipers.

Lets start with the ammo first:

38426.jpg

And now the rifle ammo:

50%20cal%20ammo.jpg

Now lets look at the actual weapon that fires the round, here is a "snub nose 50 cal":

500Ltilt2.jpg

And here is a .50 cal sniper rifle:

Barret_50cal__Sniper_Rifle_by_lucariofan666.jpg

Personally, I think the handgun is just silly and doesn't serve much of a useful purpose outside of a very few select applications. Way to much recoil and way overboard on power.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004

My .45 can go through a car door. ^_^

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I would find it very hard to believe that the police couldn't tell the difference between a .50 caliber rifle and an AR-15. The difference is absurdly huge to anyone that knows even a moderate amount about firearms.

Then where is the shitty reporting?

With that said, there is some shitty reporting, or writing, going on because a 50 caliber rifle is NOT an AR-15.

He got away with the AR-15 and was caught trying to steal a .50 caliber a few days later. Police searched the place he was staying and he was discovered on video after the footage was reviewed.