Gun Statistics

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Originally posted by: theflyingpig
Originally posted by: txrandom
I can run into a crowded area and kill just as many people with a target gun as I can a normal gun.

Oh really? So you could kill just as many people with this as you could with this? You are a fool if you think so.

Ever hear of Simo Häyhä? Sniper for Finnland in the Winter War. Over 500 kills in less than 100 days, one shot at a time.

With the proper tactics you absolutely could kill as many people with the Anschutz rifle as you could with the AK, it would just require a little more preparation. It's all about choosing tactics that are suited to the weapon.
You missed the point. In the proper hands, with proper tactics against a specific target a single shot rifle can of course rack up the kill total of an automatic rifle. The statement was that somebody can run into a crowded area and kill as many people with a target rifle then with a normal gun. This is completely not true. The target rifles I have shot were bolt action single shot guns. The AR-15 I own is definitely not.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Possessed Freak
The target rifles I have shot were bolt action single shot guns. The AR-15 I own is definitely not.

Which apparently means you can't shoot at paper targets with it.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: BoberFett
The target rifles I have shot were bolt action single shot guns. The AR-15 I own is definitely not.

Of course I can, but not as accurately as I could with the target rifles I shot.

A chain saw can cut steak, it doesn't mean it was designed for it.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
Ever hear of Simo Häyhä? Sniper for Finnland in the Winter War. Over 500 kills in less than 100 days, one shot at a time.

With the proper tactics you absolutely could kill as many people with the Anschutz rifle as you could with the AK, it would just require a little more preparation. It's all about choosing tactics that are suited to the weapon.

Also, you're still ignoring those AR-15 variants that I pointed out earlier. You've admitted that they are legitimately "target" guns, but they have the same receivers and accept the same magazines as any other AR-15/M16. You could slap a 100-round magazine onto those "target rifles" and they would function every bit as well as a battle rifle as they would for target shooting.

It is painfully clear that you do not actually shoot.

ZV

I have already address your AR variants. They are dual purpose rifles. I suggest you re-read this thread, as you clearly have no idea what you are arguing about.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008

lol. You have once again proven your stupidity. Congratulations.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Haha, why do you keep coming back moron? Your stupid and incorrect opinions have been obliterated by numerous people. I guess you just need to get the last word in and you feel like you won, eh? How infantile of you. Crawl back under your rock worm.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
Haha, why do you keep coming back moron? Your stupid and incorrect opinions have been obliterated by numerous people. I guess you just need to get the last word in and you feel like you won, eh? How infantile of you. Crawl back under your rock worm.

lol. I have disproven every so called fact you and the other fools have posted. Are you still trying to argue that there is no such thing as a target rifle? What's next, are you going to argue that there is no such thing as a drafting pencil? lol.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Originally posted by: nobodyknows
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: QuantumPion
Originally posted by: Auryg

Safe usage of guns leads to no deaths.

Technically, this is incorrect. A properly used firearm will result in the death of a creature. However, some firearms are specifically designed for target shooting, and so, properly used, they will result in no deaths. The fact that most guns are designed to kill cannot be denied. What also cannot be denied is the fact that guns will never be banned from the US. Everyone knows this.

A gun is designed to shoot bullets. If/what you shoot them at is the owner's responsibility.

guns were designed and invented to shoot bullets at people to kill them, stop trying to dance around that fact.

I think it could be argued that guns were invented to scare people away, because they were unreliable, inaccurate, but make a loud, distinctive bang. To this very day people duck and run when they hear shots going off. Shock and awe

So wouldn't a firecracker do the trick? ;)

I said shock and awe, not shock and ahhh. ;)

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I have already address your AR variants. They are dual purpose rifles.

That's a cop-out and you know it. You're trying to tap dance around the fact that when an AR-15 is modified to be a dedicated target rifle it also, necessarily and simultaneously, becomes useful as a sniper rifle or battle rifle. Saying that it's "dual purpose" does not in any way address the fact that, for the AR-15, configuration for use as a target rifle remains inextricably tied to configuration that makes it suitable as a sniper rifle or as a battle rifle.

You can shout, "dual purpose" all you like, but the fact is that the AR-15 remains proof that you are, in at least one instance, incorrect to claim that outfitting a rifle for target purposes makes it unsuited for other purposes.

ZV

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
You missed the point. In the proper hands, with proper tactics against a specific target a single shot rifle can of course rack up the kill total of an automatic rifle. The statement was that somebody can run into a crowded area and kill as many people with a target rifle then with a normal gun. This is completely not true. The target rifles I have shot were bolt action single shot guns. The AR-15 I own is definitely not.

You must have missed the match-grade target AR-15 variants that I pointed out earlier. I don't know if you're aware of this, but the AR-15 is an incredibly configurable firearm and just because your particular build isn't match-grade doesn't mean that there aren't many companies out there who do manufacture match-grade AR-15 uppers and barrels. A match-grade AR-15 can hold its own even against those single-shot bolt-action firearms.

Also, who is talking about automatic rifles? We're talking about the AR-15, which is NOT an automatic rifle. You're confusing the AR-15 with the M16. The AR-15 is semi-automatic; one bullet per trigger pull, just like a revolver.

ZV

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
I have already address your AR variants. They are dual purpose rifles.

That's a cop-out and you know it. You're trying to tap dance around the fact that when an AR-15 is modified to be a dedicated target rifle it also, necessarily and simultaneously, becomes useful as a sniper rifle or battle rifle. Saying that it's "dual purpose" does not in any way address the fact that, for the AR-15, configuration for use as a target rifle remains inextricably tied to configuration that makes it suitable as a sniper rifle or as a battle rifle.

You can shout, "dual purpose" all you like, but the fact is that the AR-15 remains proof that you are, in at least one instance, incorrect to claim that outfitting a rifle for target purposes makes it unsuited for other purposes.

ZV

Once again you have proven your stupidity. Saying that the rifles you posted are dual purpose is not a cop-out, it is the truth. This is an AR that is specifically designed for target shooting. You conveniently ignored posting anything about it because it destroys your entire pathetic argument. Both you and BoberFett are morons. You are trying to make the argument that there is no such thing as a rifle designed specifically for target shooting. Perhaps someday, you will come to realize your foolishness.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Once again you have proven your stupidity. Saying that the rifles you posted are dual purpose is not a cop-out, it is the truth. This is an AR that is specifically designed for target shooting. You conveniently ignored posting anything about it because it destroys your entire pathetic argument. Both you and BoberFett are morons. You are trying to make the argument that there is no such thing as a rifle designed specifically for target shooting. Perhaps someday, you will come to realize your foolishness.

So different sights, an aesthetically different handguard and an aesthetically different stock are huge differences that make it significantly less able to be used as an offensive weapon? That's a stretch and you know it.

The rifle you use as an example will still accept a 30 or even 100-round magazine. It still fires 5.56 NATO ammunition. It is still semi-automatic. Aside from being more expensive, there is absolutely nothing about the rifle you show that would make it unsuitable for combat use. Everyone knows this.

You've proven that you have zero practical experience with firearms and are basing your opinions on purely aesthetic attributes rather than functional attributes. Everyone knows this.

ZV

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You don't understand Zenmervolt. A free float handguard means that it's a target rifle and you should feel perfectly comfortable if one was pointed at your face. After all, it's not meant for killing.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999

You must have missed the match-grade target AR-15 variants that I pointed out earlier. I don't know if you're aware of this, but the AR-15 is an incredibly configurable firearm and just because your particular build isn't match-grade doesn't mean that there aren't many companies out there who do manufacture match-grade AR-15 uppers and barrels. A match-grade AR-15 can hold its own even against those single-shot bolt-action firearms.

Also, who is talking about automatic rifles? We're talking about the AR-15, which is NOT an automatic rifle. You're confusing the AR-15 with the M16. The AR-15 is semi-automatic; one bullet per trigger pull, just like a revolver.

ZV

Somewhere, I think we are seeing at two different levels. I replied to a post that compared a bolt action target rifle to an AK-47. I understand that AR-15's are semi automatic (especially since I own one), I understand that they are highly customizable. My response was not meant to be one addressing the AR as a target rifle or a semi automatic at the same time.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001

So different sights, an aesthetically different handguard and an aesthetically different stock are huge differences that make it significantly less able to be used as an offensive weapon? That's a stretch and you know it.

The rifle you use as an example will still accept a 30 or even 100-round magazine. It still fires 5.56 NATO ammunition. It is still semi-automatic. Aside from being more expensive, there is absolutely nothing about the rifle you show that would make it unsuitable for combat use. Everyone knows this.

You've proven that you have zero practical experience with firearms and are basing your opinions on purely aesthetic attributes rather than functional attributes. Everyone knows this.

ZV

Meh. You talk about aesthetics like they are irrelevant. The majority of polititicians base the definition of assault weapons on how a rifle looks rather than how it functions.

I changed the stock on my old 10/22 and under california law it became an assault weapon.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008

ZV

Those are not aesthetic modifications. They are functional. Any shooter would know this. You are a fool.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
You don't understand Zenmervolt. A free float handguard means that it's a target rifle and you should feel perfectly comfortable if one was pointed at your face. After all, it's not meant for killing.

Again you have shown your stupidity to the world. This is amusing, I hope you continue.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Again you have shown your stupidity to the world. This is amusing, I hope you continue.

Have you ever actually fired a gun little man?