May 16, 2000
I have enough now that I need to look into a good quality safe. It has to hold 4-6 full size rifles, 1-2 shorter rifles, and 2-3 handguns. I'd also like it to hold ammo, and have an interior smaller storage area for important papers and such. It needs to have some kind of bolting mechanism, either for the floor or walls.

Anyone have a suggestion?

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Around here Costco had some very good ones at a reasonable price that would hold what you have in mind.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Whatever you get make sure you anchor it very securely against a solid wall. The backs of those safes are often much thinner than the other sides.

JDMnAR1

Lifer
May 12, 2003
If you are primarily worried about secure storage and not fire protection, check out the Sentry models that most Wal-Marts (at least around here) carry. They are easy on your wallet when compared to Browning safes, etc, but much nicer than the low end junk by Homak.

link

Note: If you don't have to have it today, and your local Wal-Mart carries them, I picked mine up on clearance towards the end of hunting season for significantly less than the regular price.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Gun shows are also a good place to pick up gun safes. I bought mine at one years ago. It bolts to the floor and has a Sargent & Greenleaf combination lock with key and the door has deadbolts on all sides. It holds 6 long guns and multiple handguns/ammo. I actually need a bigger one though, I have more guns than will fit in it.

It isn't fireproof but it would take a very determined individual to get in there. I mainly want it to keep my guns safe from my son though as he gets older.

May 16, 2000
Thanks for the replies all. I really try not to bring any business to wally world unless absolutely necessary, but I'll go in and browse at least.

Feb 24, 2001
Stack-On

I have their 16-31 Convertible, two of them actually. Can be bolted to the wall, and have smaller Stack-Ons added on top.

Regardless of what you decide, wait until there is a SportsAuthority/Dicks/Oshmans 20-25% off coupon out. You can't find a safe cheaper when those are around (every 2-3 months it seems).

I got two of the Stack-Ons listed above for $280 shipped each.