Gun purchase advice: Would you buy a Romanian AK-47?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Prong

Jul 11, 2000
Careful shopping can get you a post-ban Ar for $600-$650. You can get an *authentic* Garand from the CMP for about $525 (for the "base" grade).

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Awesome! I'd kill for an authentic M1 Garand(no pun intended). Too bad I live in NYC and firearms are banned in my dorm. That'd be the last person sneaking into my dorm!

Seriously though, where can I pick one up?

TruculentTucan

May 6, 2001

<< One thing I noticed -- my Ramline 50 round magazine for the Ruger 10/22 sells for $150 new!!!!! Holy canoli!! I bought mine about 10+ years ago for about $30. I guess I can thank Clinton for the appeciation in value. Anyone want to buy it?? >>

I think between my dad and I we have a few of those lying around... I love my Ruger, one of the most fun guns to shoot, well low calibre guns that is.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000

<< Avoid the newer Romanian AK-47's like the plague. The Bulgarian ones are very nice though. I own a Bulgarian and a Hungarian AK-47. >>

Anything made in bulgaria is nice :)

Get an Bulgarian AK (seriously, they make good weapons, Last year there was a newcast about this undetectable (by metal scanners at airports) bulgarian key chain pistol) and several bottles of Rose Oil to go along with it :)

fragarific

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2000
Chubbz, congrats, c'mon, you ruined a conversation that might not have turned into that sort of thing if it wasn't for you.

edit: I for one would like a conversation without people enticing others to fight.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
What I've never understood, is how supposedly peace loving, live & let live folks are so fvcking aggressive about their opinions, like the anti-gun nuts.

jehh

Banned
Jan 16, 2001

<< What I've never understood, is how supposedly peace loving, live & let live folks are so fvcking aggressive about their opinions, like the anti-gun nuts. >>

You mean like pro-life people who kill doctors? :D

Or tree-hugging people who drive SUVs? :p

Or me, who owns guns and don't give a damm what HCI thinks? :cool:

Jason

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000

<< Guns on my purchase list: AK-47, SKS, 12 gauge pump shotgun, FAL, Winchester or Marlin .30-30, M1 Garand and AR-15/M-16 (if I hit the lottery on those last two). >>

If you get the AK, I'd avoid the SKS. You only really need one or the other, and the SKS is an older design. They're super cheap to shoot, but that's about it.

I bought a bushmaster ar15 a few years back. Nice rifle, I've been impressed with it. I think I paid just a shade under $850 for the gun, two 30rd clips, a few boxes of ammo and tax.

Next purchase for me is an m1 garand through the CMP. Around here, that will cost me $350 ish, but it'll definatly be worth it.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I wouldn't buy an SKS if I had an AK, but if I do see a well made SKS for a good price, then I'll probably buy it. "Cheap to shoot" sounds great to me. :)

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
AndrewR,

I have an SKS from the Viet NAm war and it is one of the nicest ones I have ever seen. The newer ones are fairly junky by my standards. I haven't seen any of these 'old' ones for quite a while but they ave the fold down blade style bayonnet. I also have a Hungarian AK-47 or AK-M to be exact and this is a really nice weapon. I showed it to a guy who was in the Russian military and he said it was one of the nicest ones he had seen. I have played with a lot of the Easter Bloc country's weapons and they are all very nice compared to all the CHI-COM junk that is out there. Definitely stay away from the Chinese manufactured weapons.