Gun cleaning kits

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
What gun cleaning kits do you have?

Right now, I have one of these cheap ones.

I need one like this. i need those toothbrush like brushes.

just wondering if I should just get a set of brushes or get a better quality kit altogether.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I have one I built myself from ordering all of the pieces on midwayusa.com

I have three full length rods, one for my .17, and two others for medium and big bore rifles and shotguns. The brushes were bought as a kit. I only use Hoppe's powder and copper solvent, and the only oil I use is break-free CLP (the big 1 quart jugs). I also keep a can of Gun Scrubber around for something really fouled up. I just get the patches from a local shop though.

I think the best way to do it is to build your own kit in a toolbox like that.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I sorta have two:

One is an amalgamation of a couple kits plus an extra couple rod sections so I can clean my M91/30 Mosins (looong barrel). Hoppe's #9 and oil are pretty much all I use.

The other is a cheap set that gets used to clean the cosmoline caked on milsurp guns. Toothbrushes, mineral spirits, and lots of paper towels.

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004
break free + bore snake. I also use a chamber brush attached to a power drill.
a lot of the rods can do more harm than good if you dont know what you're doing.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Hoppes cleaning kit
Breakfree CLP Aerosol
Breakfree CLP liquid
Enos' Slide Glide
Foaming bore cleaner
old tooth brush
Lots of patches

I don't use brushes that much since I don't let it get that dirty. I usually just use the solvent on barrel after use with some slide glide on the rails and barrel afterwards and clp everywhere else . My sig like Hoppes 9 oil as a floater on the rails too. Even on the bad times, the foaming cleaner gets everything out. In fact, I don't think I've ever had to use a brush.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Bore foam, Breakfree CLP, .22 rod for AR + .22, boresnakes, lots of boresnakes, and a different bore brush for each pistol, Q-tips.