guitar software to emulate pedal...

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
7,024
0
0
anyway, i did some searching on some software and all i was able to find was
GuitarFX 3. which, apparently, is amazing. but the demo doesnt actually seem to let me try and see if it works on my machine and i really dont want to shell out cash for software that wont work.

im plugged into a creative audiology 2 zsprosupereditionamazothingie.
 

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
41,885
2,125
126
Originally posted by: ThePresence
I use a GuitarPort. It has all the effects I need to record into my computer.

Best computer gadget EVAR. I use mine for practice every day. You get like $20000 worth of amps and pedals for $99 :)
 

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
5,947
1
81
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Originally posted by: ThePresence
I use a GuitarPort. It has all the effects I need to record into my computer.

Best computer gadget EVAR. I use mine for practice every day. You get like $20000 worth of amps and pedals for $99 :)

Hmmm... I may have to look further into this. You have any samples you could upload?
 

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
58,137
12,316
136
How much is GuitarFX these days? When I tried it back in 01, it seemed like the effects were somewhat capable, but I had too much lag (and something about my machine made clicks and pops).
 

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
27,730
16
81
Originally posted by: upsciLLion
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Originally posted by: ThePresence
I use a GuitarPort. It has all the effects I need to record into my computer.

Best computer gadget EVAR. I use mine for practice every day. You get like $20000 worth of amps and pedals for $99 :)

Hmmm... I may have to look further into this. You have any samples you could upload?

Their website probably has. Text
 

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
7,024
0
0
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
How much is GuitarFX these days? When I tried it back in 01, it seemed like the effects were somewhat capable, but I had too much lag (and something about my machine made clicks and pops).

i think its about 24-25 dollars. not too much. im not getting pops and clicks like you but i have gone and checked out some of the downloadable presets and tried them with the demo and it seems like a lot of them just add extra noise than the sound they are going for. ive been playing around with it...but i dont think its just a "creator error." i dont think its working completely right on my machine.
 

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
6,995
0
0
i'm sure there's free software out there... in fact i'm positive there's one on betanews that i'm tracking... its called Jesusonic and iirc its open source... check it out! :)
 

GuitarFX is ok. There's much better stuff out there.

Check out NI Guitar Rig 30-day demo. One of the best processors for the PC/Mac.

Amplitube has a demo too with hisses in it so you can't record.

The best I have heard is Simulanalog's Guitar Suite which is free but you need a VST host like Cubase to use it. It's pretty limited but definitely the best sounding of all.

You would probably be happiest with Guitar Port. Best bang for the buck I suppose.

I started playing four years ago and used Guitar FX Box. Thought it was great because it distorted my sound. That's all there is to it, right? Wrong. I fell down the evil tone road. Bad, bad place. Guitar nerds are as bad as computer nerds.
 

renierh

Member
May 25, 2004
89
0
0
i wouldn't waste my money if i were you. somewhere down the line, you'll be sitting in your room trying to figure out how you can get the digital delay to default to stereo while putting it in front of the ring modulator in the effect chain, and you'll realize 2 things:

1. you spend more time fiddling with settings, slides, buttons and knobs then you do playing guitar;

2. all of the REALLY great guitarist whose sound, feel and style you admire, use less gadgets then you. Combined.

allmost every guitarist at some point starts to obey the digital devil, and most of us find our way back to what really makes a great guitarist: a good tube amp, a solid piece of wood and most important: lots of playing!

i learned it the expensive way: a good sound can only come from high quality, "honest"" equipement. you cant emulate the sound of a '60 gibson les paul on a Marshall JCM 800, or the sound of a fender stratocaster over a fender twin.


once you figure that out, all the digital stuff sounds like crap.
 

Originally posted by: renierh
i learned it the expensive way: a good sound can only come from high quality, "honest"" equipement. you cant emulate the sound of a '60 gibson les paul on a Marshall JCM 800, or the sound of a fender stratocaster over a fender twin.
:thumbsup: Great post.

I always say there's a kid out there with no money and a crappy hand me down guitar who, due to lack of distractions, plays his ass off on what he has. There's also rich brat out there with $10,000 worth of equipment who completely sucks at playing because he's too busy fiddling with his "effects chain" to actually learn anything useful as far as playing goes.

I played with every piece of software and some hardware and I came to the conclusion that it's just best to focus on playing. I do use a Tonelab because it's probably the best modeler out and I need to practice with headphones and don't have space for an amp. Other than that I pretty much gave up on digital and even buying superfluous pedals and all.
 

PTCvette

Banned
Sep 26, 2002
870
0
0
Originally posted by: dwell
Check out NI Guitar Rig 30-day demo. One of the best processors for the PC/Mac.

I've heard good things from friends about this one... I also agree that there's nothing like the sound of an old Marshall cab except an old marshall cab :) But for practice, these Guitar Rig is supposed to be pretty good.
 

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
58,137
12,316
136
I contend that digital effects certainly have their place. Lots of those old amps and effects and etc are big bucks... how are you supposed to know which ones you'll like? Digital effects can provide you with an approximation, and help you figure out what sound you're really after. Alll for around $100, as opposed to... well, I'm sure any of you serious players know just how much vintage gear goes for.
 

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
41,885
2,125
126
Originally posted by: renierh
i wouldn't waste my money if i were you. somewhere down the line, you'll be sitting in your room trying to figure out how you can get the digital delay to default to stereo while putting it in front of the ring modulator in the effect chain, and you'll realize 2 things:

1. you spend more time fiddling with settings, slides, buttons and knobs then you do playing guitar;

2. all of the REALLY great guitarist whose sound, feel and style you admire, use less gadgets then you. Combined.

allmost every guitarist at some point starts to obey the digital devil, and most of us find our way back to what really makes a great guitarist: a good tube amp, a solid piece of wood and most important: lots of playing!

i learned it the expensive way: a good sound can only come from high quality, "honest"" equipement. you cant emulate the sound of a '60 gibson les paul on a Marshall JCM 800, or the sound of a fender stratocaster over a fender twin.


once you figure that out, all the digital stuff sounds like crap.

OMG LOOK AT ALL THOSE KNOBS AND CONTROLS!!!!!

Dude, I've been playing probably longer than you've been alive. You can do some amazing things with electronics these days, and yes, you can get pretty close to the sounds produced by famous intrument combos- in fact, Line6 is famous for doing just that (if Line6 ever goes public, buy stock immediately. They went from a nobody company to a top manufacturer of amps and effects like overnight!). The purpose of effects is to get the sound that you want to display a particular mood. The Guitar Port is an excellent way to find the sound you want without dumping a bunch of money on guesses. It's not something you'd use in a performance, it's a practice tool and it does its job VERY well.
 

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
7,024
0
0
Originally posted by: renierh
i wouldn't waste my money if i were you. somewhere down the line, you'll be sitting in your room trying to figure out how you can get the digital delay to default to stereo while putting it in front of the ring modulator in the effect chain, and you'll realize 2 things:

1. you spend more time fiddling with settings, slides, buttons and knobs then you do playing guitar;

2. all of the REALLY great guitarist whose sound, feel and style you admire, use less gadgets then you. Combined.

allmost every guitarist at some point starts to obey the digital devil, and most of us find our way back to what really makes a great guitarist: a good tube amp, a solid piece of wood and most important: lots of playing!

i learned it the expensive way: a good sound can only come from high quality, "honest"" equipement. you cant emulate the sound of a '60 gibson les paul on a Marshall JCM 800, or the sound of a fender stratocaster over a fender twin.


once you figure that out, all the digital stuff sounds like crap.

not to be a dick...
but ive been playing for a while.
its mostly just for fun and to tinker with. im not emulating anything, just seeing how things sound.
i appriciate your input but its not helping me find cheap and fun things to do with my instruments.


 

renierh

Member
May 25, 2004
89
0
0
Originally posted by: Fritzo

OMG LOOK AT ALL THOSE KNOBS AND CONTROLS!!!!!

Dude, I've been playing probably longer than you've been alive. You can do some amazing things with electronics these days, and yes, you can get pretty close to the sounds produced by famous intrument combos- in fact, Line6 is famous for doing just that (if Line6 ever goes public, buy stock immediately. They went from a nobody company to a top manufacturer of amps and effects like overnight!). The purpose of effects is to get the sound that you want to display a particular mood. The Guitar Port is an excellent way to find the sound you want without dumping a bunch of money on guesses. It's not something you'd use in a performance, it's a practice tool and it does its job VERY well.


ofcourse not all digital stuff is crap. some of these things (like the one you're linking to) are pretty nifty practice tools. and don;t get me wrong: i use effects too. i just try to keep it all to a minimum becase it's pretty easy to get carried away with them. i love a good chorus or wah however.

and about line 6: yeah, it's pretty decent stuff, but to me, it has no real use: if you use it to cover up the fact that you don't have a good guitar or good amp, you're only kidding yourself ( you say you've been playing long? well, if you can't hear the difference between a squier on a line 6 flextone and an american standard on a real twin, you've been playing TOO long!). and if you use it to complement a good guitar and amp, you'll either find you don't need the gizmo, or you'll find that you need a very expensive rack (components that have very high sampling rates and very high quality modulations) to keep it from screwing up your basic sound. so, except from practicing at home, i couln't think of any situation where i would want a digital multi-effect in my setup.

i use a les paul and marshall tube amp. and the only effects i use are a fulltone fulldrive (just to heat-up the tubes a little) a cry baby, a boss chorus and a floor volume switch (set to 80% - full)

it sound's great, is easy to control and does everything i want it to do.

 

Good thing this got bumped. Fritzo, how is Line 6's catalog for lessons and songs for Guitar Port? I am thinking of snagging one after all (looks like a great learning tool). I'll even pay the $8/month for the online service. Thing is, I don't want to be stuck paying $99 for the Line 6 device alone, being I already shelled out for an Mbox and have plenty of modeling software to play with already.
 

Screw it, just bought Guitar Port. $99 and it has to improve my playing. Will sell on Ebay if not.
 

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
58,137
12,316
136
Originally posted by: dwell
Screw it, just bought Guitar Port. $99 and it has to improve my playing. Will sell on Ebay if not.

If you decide to unload it, let me know first :)
 

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
5,947
1
81
Originally posted by: dwell
Screw it, just bought Guitar Port. $99 and it has to improve my playing. Will sell on Ebay if not.

I'm pretty happy with mine so far. For $100 you can't really go wrong.. The people in Vent seem to like it as well. :thumbsup:
 

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
11,218
2
76
One thing I don't like about Guitarport is that you need to pay for a monthly subscription to get the online content. Digital amps/cabs and effects aren't bad. Good for noodling around when you don't feel like plugging in and want to play around with different sounds.