Guitar Gurus - Purchasing a New Guitar - Need Suggestions

SaturnX

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Hey Everyone,

Well the time has come to purchase a new guitar.. I mean I'm still using the first guitar I bought, a Mexican Squier Strat..... quality = suck

So yeah, two years ago I bought myself a Marshall JCM600 + 4 x 12" Cab and it sounds sweet, well as sweet as Squier can :S

But yeah, I'm in the market for a new guitar, and I need suggestions, I play a mix of old rock (ie: Van Halen, Zeppelin, Hendrix), to various jazz and blues licks, with odd... ever so odd metal... (not that common), mostly "rock"

So I'm looking for something with rich tone, and that will nicely go with my Marshall stack,

I've been given suggestions about a Steinberger GU Deluxe, which sounds great, although it feels very small in my hands, as if I'll break it or something.

Above all, I'm going for sound and quality, and something not too expensive, somewhere preferably below $1000 CDN maybe even around 600-700.

But seriuosly, list off some suggestions since I'd like to take a look at as many as possible before I select.

Thanks again for you help everyone!

--Mark

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
For that money, I'd suggest the same setup as what I have.

Epiphone Les Paul (they make some NICE tops these days... gorgeous flame maple that's nicer than what Gibson is putting out... at least in the store I went to)
And then get some Gibson pickups for it. I bought the 490R and 498T, but you could go with a '57 classic and a '57 classic plus, or maybe some burstbuckers...

I swear that neither I nor the guys in the guitar shop could tell the difference in sound between my guitar after the pickup mod and the Gibson LP Standard Plus we played right beside it. Also, the Marshall + Gibson sound is a classic in rock music.

xyion

Jan 20, 2001
I was considering getting an Epiphone Les Paul, but after playing a Gibson THEN Epiphone, I found the feel of the epiphone to be, well cheap.

My advice, go to a guitar store, find a guitar in your price range, and plug it in. If you like it, awesome, if not, then move on. Find what you like.