Guitar Amps. Small Affordable, good sound...

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I play guitar but have been out of the "loop" as far as equipment goes for a bit. I used to own a Marshall 50watt tube stack, and thats the sound I like :)

Now I just need a small amp for playing at home that doesn't cost a fortune and sounds good. Maybe with some outputs I can run into my computer for recording to hard disk (not a necessity).

What are the options????

zsouthboy

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2001
Its hard to get that nice tube marshall sound in something cheap.. unfortunately for me lol..

Have you tried GuitarFX BOX 2.6 for your computer? I have been using it instead of my little crappy 10 watt generic studio amp, and you can tweak the settings for it to sound like you want it...

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: silverpig
How much $$$ you want to spend?

A couple hundred bucks or less. Not looking for stage quality, just something nice for home use...

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: aircooled
I play guitar but have been out of the "loop" as far as equipment goes for a bit. I used to own a Marshall 50watt tube stack, and thats the sound I like :)

Now I just need a small amp for playing at home that doesn't cost a fortune and sounds good. Maybe with some outputs I can run into my computer for recording to hard disk (not a necessity).

What are the options????

something like this?

this is what I have

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: aircooled
Originally posted by: conjur
Originally posted by: Vadatajs
http://www.line6.com/products.asp?ID=75&action=1&item=103&tp=0

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but it would be ideal for computer recording. Otherwise my roommate's 25 watt tube Marshall sounds pretty good. I can't seem to find it on marshall's website.

The Pod rocks!!

The Pod looks cool for direct recording.. How much does it cost?

Depends on the model.

Musiciansfriend is your friend

KEV1N

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2000
Try a used Marshall valvestate, 65 or 100W. Solid state but with a real tube in the preamp for a little blend between the two sounds (a little warmer than solid state but not quite tube tone)

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
I'm looking at upgrading my rig too. I'm really looking for a rackmount tube preamp but something like the Pod Pro or the Behringer stuff is tempting. I've also heard good things about the Line6 Flextone amps though I haven't heard any of these in person.

If anybody here has a Pod, how about putting together some simple demo MP3s so we can hear what it can do. I'm really interested in what the amp simulator sounds like!

TheShiz

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I got a pod xt and its awesome, you can record directly to the computer really well, and it sounds really good with earphones too, so i can play loud and not bug anyone.