Guitar amp question

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
I have a Peavey Transtube Series Blazer 158 amp. Its basically a beginner amp. Anyways, I've been thinking of selling it in order to buy a bigger and better amp. In the past week i have begun to notice that there is something wrong with the sound. The amp has a "clean" and a "lead" channel, and when I have it on "clean" I can still hear a bit of distortion of some sort. Like I said, this just starting happening and I'm wondering if it could just be my guitar cable (it is a cheap one that came with the amp). By the way, the amp is about 7-8 months old.

Any thoughts?? ...............any help is appreciated.........thanks

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
I think I have the same amp as you. It could very well be the cable that is producing the fsckup in the sound. Try using a different cable, borrow one from a friend if you don't have an extra. If it persists, then you could have damaged the amp... That's hard to do, but not impossible. ;)

You could sell it on ebay. ;)

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm assuming this thing has tubes in it, somewhere. If so, tubes age long before transistors do. Also, other components can go bad and cause some distortion.

The most likely candidates are capacitors. Different kinds of caps are found in the filter section and as coupling devices between stages. If changing cords doesn't help, and you don't find another reason, you may want to get a repair estimate from your local guitar amp repair guys.

Good luck. :)

DaveCSparty

May 14, 2000
Transtube series are solid state if I remember correctly... I don't think it would be the cable, if you say "distortion" because the sound coming from the guitar is clean. But try a new cable...if that isn't it, then it's the amp...

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I had the same problem with my Fender twin reverb - It turned out to be the input on my guitar was getting screwey. I had it resoldered and all was cool.