"guilty until proven innocent" in this case

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
on the heels of the "innocent until proven guilty" poll, i found this story (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1603534) about a penn state football player was expelled for an alleged sexual assault of which he was later aquitted. i have also seen a story about a student at brown university to which the exact same thing happened.

it seems to me that in many occasions dealing with sexual crimes, defendants are guilty until proven innnocent, and false accusers are escape scot free. whadya think?

friedpie

Oct 1, 2002
Can't you properly link an article?

Read this: However, on December 12, 2002, Phillips "accepted responsibility" for his actions in Penn State University?s office of Judicial Affairs. By accepting responsibility for the incident, Phillips does not admit guilt and the result is inadmissible in an actual court of law. However, by "accepting responsibility", Phillips automatically accepts a two-semester, temporary expulsion from the University.

He was suspended because of his own accord.

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
Originally posted by: friedpie

Read this: However, on December 12, 2002, Phillips "accepted responsibility" for his actions in Penn State University?s office of Judicial Affairs. By accepting responsibility for the incident, Phillips does not admit guilt and the result is inadmissible in an actual court of law. However, by "accepting responsibility", Phillips automatically accepts a two-semester, temporary expulsion from the University.

that's interesting information, hadnt seen it. i guess i dont understand how he could be found innocent in a court of law yet feel there was enough evidence to admit guilt in privacy.

btw - i leave my links bare so that you can see where you are going right away. sorry it's not pretty enough for you.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: kaizersose
Originally posted by: friedpie

that's interesting information, hadnt seen it. i guess i dont understand how he could be found innocent in a court of law yet feel there was enough evidence to admit guilt in privacy.

btw - i leave my links bare so that you can see where you are going right away. sorry it's not pretty enough for you.

Sounds like he probably was Guilty of some wrong doing but the other party may not be totally innocent either. What he did here is the equivalent of No Lo Contende.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Proof of criminal behaivor is different than proof of civil mis-behaivor

chemwiz

Mar 8, 2000
So he raped her, but got off with a two semester, temporary expulsion? That's *almost* as disgusting as the actual crime he committed.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: chemwiz
So he raped her, but got off with a two semester, temporary expulsion? That's *almost* as disgusting as the actual crime he committed.

Yes, it would have been a rape case apparently, But appears she was content with the treatment he received in the School court rather than State Criminal Court. It looks like it was her choice to not press for Criminal charges in Court.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I don't think it's her choice or not in prosecuting a criminal rape charge. That's up to the DA, isn't it?