Guiliani is making some preposterous claims...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: eits
HAHAHAHA!!!

?they looked in ronald reagan?s eyes, and two minutes they released the hostages.?

i haven't laughed that hard all week :laugh:

hahaha omg that's too funny :)

What's so funny? My god you are juvenile.

Carter was a foreign policy disaster who couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag. Reagan freed the hostages and restored credibility to the office, while initiating peace through strength.

Reagan dealt with the Iranians the same way the Bush admin is dealing with Iraqis militias and Afghan warlords, he cut a deal and paid them off.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: ironwing
HAHAHAHA!!!

?they looked in ronald reagan?s eyes, and two minutes they released the hostages.?

Carter was a foreign policy disaster who couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag. Reagan freed the hostages and restored credibility to the office, while initiating peace through strength.

Reagan dealt with the Iranians the same way the Bush admin is dealing with Iraqis militias and Afghan warlords, he cut a deal and paid them off.

Exactly, he had deals in place before he took office, he did get the job done, but it was a slimy deal.

I think Jimmy Carter was the last decent person we had as president, and I'm pretty conservative. Although he does seem to have lost his mind lately :(

OokiiNeko

Jun 14, 2003
Carter was a foreign policy disaster who couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag.

Speaking of rewriting history, Carter did quite a bit for Middleeast peace. Look it up.

And apparently the hostages were going to be released BEFORE the election, but the Reagan crew promised military candy if the Iranians held onto the hostages until after the election, thus giving Reagan an easier win.

Plenty written about Iran Contra.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Hey there's some positive things to be said about Reagan, for one who showed the Terrorists who's boss by invading Greneda right after the bombing of the Marine Barracks in Beruit then he bombed Libya after Palestinians bombed a Nightclub in Berlin killing some American Servicemen.

Well his sights might have been a little skewed (hey he was suffering from dementia) he was definately a man of action.:thumbsup:

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: FoBoT
Jimmy Carter didn't do anything to get them released.

Sure he did. He was such a lousy President he lost to Ronald Reagan. Best thing he ever did for this country. :)

Nice touch :D

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
HAHAHAHA!!!

what's so funny is the line that the terrorists looked into reagan's eyes and were so scared that they freed the hostages. that's the biggest republican bedtime story i've ever heard.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
HAHAHAHA!!!

what's so funny is the line that the terrorists looked into reagan's eyes and were so scared that they freed the hostages. that's the biggest republican bedtime story i've ever heard.
They were so scared they blew up the Marine Barracks in Beruit.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Jesus Christ, it's like the Republicans have just cut out the middle man and become SELF parodying now. And the fact that this particular self parody is linked to the bizarre Reagan fetish Republicans have makes it all the more funny.

But you Republicans trying to back away from Rudy Giuliani are missing an important point. There are no glory days of the Republican party and Rudy isn't a RINO...Rudy Giuliani IS the perfect Republican candidate. His positions are a mix of silly and unconservative, but that doesn't really matter because his popularity is linked to his ability to play a strong leader on TV. Which is exactly what Reagan did, which is exactly what GWB has been doing. There is a reason Rudy is polling so well despite being a joke of a candidate, it's because he is EXACTLY what people want from the Republican party.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
HAHAHAHA!!!

it IS a bit ridiculous!

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: palehorse74
HAHAHAHA!!!

it IS a bit ridiculous!

I like Reagan, I think he was a good man. I do think that people have a glossed-over memory of him though. The reaction to the barracks bombing was less than ideal. I pin most of the bad WH policy during his era to that shitbag GHWB.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Originally posted by: palehorse74
HAHAHAHA!!!

it IS a bit ridiculous!

I like Reagan, I think he was a good man. I do think that people have a glossed-over memory of him though. The reaction to the barracks bombing was less than ideal. I pin most of the bad WH policy during his era to that shitbag GHWB.

Being a "good man" and being a "good President" are not the same thing, something I wish more people would realize. Reagan DID seem like a decent guy who wanted to do the right thing, but then again, so does GWB. The problem is that you don't get an A for effort when you're the President, and while being a good guy is enough to make me want to have a beer with someone, I DON'T think it should be where the bar is set for the President of the United States.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Harvey

[/i]WRONG![/i] Carter's Secretary of State, Cyrus Vance was negotiating with the Ayatollah's crew for months before Reagan took office. The Iranians were pissed enough at the Carter administration that there was no way they were going to release the hostages before he left office.

Do you really think Reagan's people accomplished that entire stunt in their first half hour in office? :roll:

I can understand how this might seem tricky to some people. Reagan played no part. If Fred Flinstone were voted in the Iranians were going to release the hostages the minute that Carter was out of office and Fred moved in. It had everything to do with spiting Jimmy Carter.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The notion that Reagan somehow skeered the Iranians into releasing the hostages is one of the enduring myths of repubs in general, touted openly in such circles at the time, even though he had nothing to do with it.

There are even lingering suspicions that the Reagan camp persuaded the Iranians to hold the hostages until after the US elections, as an aid to Reagan's election...

It's not surprising that Rudy would invoke one of the most enduring fairytales of the Right- he'll trot out even more of these erroneous touchstones as the campaign heats up...

Don't take my word for it- any impartial online source will say the same thing-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_hostage_crisis

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

Sure he did. He was such a lousy President he lost to Ronald Reagan. Best thing he ever did for this country. :)

Carter took a lot of heat for getting inflation under control. It was his steadfast refusal to do anything stupid economically that lost him the election. Reagan can pretty much thank everything he had in the next 8 years on Carter's work. Revisionist history sucks, go back to the books.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Am I the only one who heard "The best way you deal with Dick Cheney..."?
Watched the video twice and I still heard it.

Perhaps it's late and I need to sleep.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Lothar
Am I the only one who heard "The best way you deal with Dick Cheney, the best way you deal with tyrants and terrorism"?

Can anyone confirm what I heard, or am I just hearing voices in my head?

Listen at 0:22 seconds and you might hear it.
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes...ni-ad-focuses-on-iran/
http://video.google.com/videop...&type=search&plindex=1

Both videos seem to have the same thing.
Maybe I'm deaf or something.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Am I the only one who heard "The best way you deal with Dick Cheney, the best way you deal with tyrants and terrorism"?

Can anyone confirm what I heard, or am I just hearing voices in my head?

Listen at 0:22 seconds and you might hear it.
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes...ni-ad-focuses-on-iran/
http://video.google.com/videop...&type=search&plindex=1

Both videos seem to have the same thing.
Maybe I'm deaf or something.

sounds like "dictators" to me.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Being a "good man" and being a "good President" are not the same thing, something I wish more people would realize. Reagan DID seem like a decent guy who wanted to do the right thing, but then again, so does GWB. The problem is that you don't get an A for effort when you're the President, and while being a good guy is enough to make me want to have a beer with someone, I DON'T think it should be where the bar is set for the President of the United States.

Exactly how some of us feel about Carter. Great guy, fantastic humanitarian, horrible President.

And back on topic (sort of) I can't believe anyone in their right mind would even consider a vote for Guiliani. *shudder*

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger

Exactly how some of us feel about Carter. Great guy, fantastic humanitarian, horrible President.

And back on topic (sort of) I can't believe anyone in their right mind would even consider a vote for Guiliani. *shudder*

Actually, I also feel that way about Carter...and Clinton too for that matter. I think Clinton was the best President we've had for a while, but that's not saying a whole lot. I think we've spent the last several decades trying to elect our next door neighbor President. We have this sort of "revenge of the populist" idea going on where what makes a man qualified to be President is how folksy and charming he is, and whether we'd want him at our July 4th cookout or have him over to watch the Superbowl.

The greatest sin in presidential politics today is actually seeming like you ARE more qualified to be President than some random guy off the street. One of the things I liked about Kerry, despite his MANY flaws, was that he actually seemed like a smart guy and a good leader who wasn't afraid to act that way. And I know a lot of people dislike that because they think it's "elitist", but honestly, I WANT someone who's "elite" in the Oval Office. He (or maybe she) is the President, for crying out loud, if he's not better at this stuff than the rest of us, what the hell is he doing with the job?

Edit: And to also throw in an on topic comment as well ;), I agree that Guiliani's popularity is truly astounding. There are some Republicans I think would do a decent job as President, but for the love of God, why is Guiliani among the most popular of Republicans? It can't be because he's a good conservative, except for his bizarre warmongering, he's a HUGE liberal on most issues. It can't be because he'd be a good uniter, his aforementioned warmongering is making liberals absolutely despise him. And it can't be because he'd be a good leader, he is easily the least qualified of all the major candidates on the national level. His level of experience is usually what you get from the Green party candidate for President.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger

Actually, I also feel that way about Carter...and Clinton too for that matter. I think Clinton was the best President we've had for a while, but that's not saying a whole lot. I think we've spent the last several decades trying to elect our next door neighbor President. We have this sort of "revenge of the populist" idea going on where what makes a man qualified to be President is how folksy and charming he is, and whether we'd want him at our July 4th cookout or have him over to watch the Superbowl.

The greatest sin in presidential politics today is actually seeming like you ARE more qualified to be President than some random guy off the street. One of the things I liked about Kerry, despite his MANY flaws, was that he actually seemed like a smart guy and a good leader who wasn't afraid to act that way. And I know a lot of people dislike that because they think it's "elitist", but honestly, I WANT someone who's "elite" in the Oval Office. He (or maybe she) is the President, for crying out loud, if he's not better at this stuff than the rest of us, what the hell is he doing with the job?

Edit: And to also throw in an on topic comment as well ;), I agree that Guiliani's popularity is truly astounding. There are some Republicans I think would do a decent job as President, but for the love of God, why is Guiliani among the most popular of Republicans? It can't be because he's a good conservative, except for his bizarre warmongering, he's a HUGE liberal on most issues. It can't be because he'd be a good uniter, his aforementioned warmongering is making liberals absolutely despise him. And it can't be because he'd be a good leader, he is easily the least qualified of all the major candidates on the national level. His level of experience is usually what you get from the Green party candidate for President.

And he's certainly not someone you'd want to "have a beer with," because I personally want to smack him every time he opens his mouth. :D

But yeah, I do see your point about wanting more of an "elitist" for President, but I think being able to "connect" with the populous is somewhat of a desirable trait, as well.

I realize that Bush and Kerry were pretty much cut from the same "I've never had to worry about money my entire life" cloth, but Kerry seemed unable (or unwilling) to put aside the air of snobbery and relate to us "commoners" - not like Bush managed to do.

Of course, you see where that got us, so maybe you're on to something.