Guess which one of the Democrat Presidential Contenders made this comment..bet your wrong!

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Please guess which one of the current Democrat Presidential Contenders made this statement:
The French will always do exactly the opposite on what the United States wants regardless of what happens

Dean
Clark
Kerry
Lieberman
Gephardt
Sharpton
Edwards
Mosley-Braun
Kucinich

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Taking 5 year old quotes out of context is fun!

Let's keep playing. Which current President of the United States said this?

"We have found the weapons of mass destruction."

And here's the kicker, that quote isn't even taken out of context. He really meant it!

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Clark

anyone care to guess who said "If we're an arrogant nation, they'll resent us. If we're a humble nation, but strong, they'll welcome us." ?

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
it's not 5 years old, and its not out of context..

anyway, you didn't guess who said it...

2003 - 1998 = 5.

If you're so sure that it isn't taken out of context, please explain the show topic and why Dean was on that show. Or at least give us the question Dean was asked. Or do you not know because it was on an online-Limbaugh's blog today? Maybe Andrew Sullivan?

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Czar
Clark

anyone care to guess who said "If we're an arrogant nation, they'll resent us. If we're a humble nation, but strong, they'll welcome us." ?

George W. Bush during a 2000 debate?

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla
Originally posted by: Czar
Clark

George W. Bush during a 2000 debate?

ding ding ding, a winnah :)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Do YOU know what the context was? Lets hear it then.:)

Oh, and here is a little tidbit from Dean when he was asked about his French quote.

"Asked about the comment, Dean said he now thinks that because the French "have seen how bad things can get with the United States, they might respond to a new president who's willing to offer them respect again." " - Take from here Sure seems like he didn't dispute context or deny it didn't mean what it does on face value.

CkG

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

Oh, and here is a little tidbit from Dean when he was asked about his French quote.

"Asked about the comment, Dean said he now thinks that because the French "have seen how bad things can get with the United States, they might respond to a new president who's willing to offer them respect again." " - Take from here Sure seems like he didn't dispute context or deny it didn't mean what it does on face value.

CkG

I'm not going to be trapped into your karlrovian attempt to frame the debate in your own twisted cheap labor conservative way.

Plain and simple, that quote is taken out of context because no one has a transcript to show the context in which the quote was made. Not you, not me, not our esteemed heart surgeon, not the Washington Post. Does Dean mean there that the French are a bunch of annoying douchebags who don't like to go along with us just because we're America? Probably. But without knowing the context in which that quote was made, its a pretty weak basis to attack Dean on.

Just defending my candidate... :)

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
No one answered this whopper of a quote!

Which current President of the United States said this?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

CkG

I'm not going to be trapped into your karlrovian attempt to frame the debate in your own twisted cheap labor conservative way.

Plain and simple, that quote is taken out of context because no one has a transcript to show the context in which the quote was made. Not you, not me, not our esteemed heart surgeon, not the Washington Post. Does Dean mean there that the French are a bunch of annoying douchebags who don't like to go along with us just because we're America? Probably. But without knowing the context in which that quote was made, its a pretty weak basis to attack Dean on.

Just defending my candidate... :)

That's fine and all, but don't you think Dean would/could have come up with something other than a little diversionary comment like "they might respond to a new president who's willing to offer them respect again" So when he made the original comment in '98 - was he then saying that Clinton didn't respect the French?;) He offered no defense for his comment - just tried to divert to saying we suck or more specifically tried to imply that Bush sucks.

Oh well - maybe next time dean is on a real talk show, that doesn't toss softballs at him, we can clear this up. :)

CkG

miguel

Nov 2, 2001

Dude, go start your own thread if you want.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: miguel

Dude, go start your own thread if you want.

I was making a point.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
its a pretty weak basis to attack Dean on.
How's this an attack on Dean? With the general opinion for the French that Americans have, Dean's comment should win him more supporters.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Al Gore? ;)

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
its a pretty weak basis to attack Dean on.
How's this an attack on Dean? With the general opinion for the French that Americans have, Dean's comment should win him more supporters.

heartsurgeon was trying to show that Dean is guilty of hypocrisy/doublespeak on the matter.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Here's a quote, who said this, "I did not have Nation Rebuilding with that country of Iraq!"

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
here's a link to the statement made by a current Democrat Presidential Contender.
Linky
"During another 1998 appearance on the show, "The Editors," Dean said it was not worth trying to woo French support on foreign policy initiatives. "The French will always do exactly the opposite on what the United States wants regardless of what happens, so we're never going to have a consistent policy," he said."

for the record..all i did was post a quote and posit that it's author would not be obvious.....

i have diligently tried to get the entire transcript of the tv show where he said this but i have failed...i apologize for this shortcoming on my part.

i have not attacked anyone, or even said anything remotely antagonistic.

apparently some people take great offense at facts. to those whom i have offended, i offer my sincere apology.