GTX770 (stock) vs. GTX670 OC vs. HD7950 OC vs. GTX760 OC vs. GTX660Ti OC

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
It has PhysX, which a lot of AAA games use. It has much better multi GPU performance, and it can approach GTX 780 levels of performance through overclocking.

Omg 4 games released with PhysX so far this year. With such upcoming AAA titles as "Rise of the Triad" (very AAA) and AAA classics like Warframe (pretty much the next COD). Tons of AAA titles. Lol, it can approach 780 with OC'ing, then 780 can beat Titan with OC'ing, but wait the Titan can go faster with OC'ing... The argument "it can approach stock with max OC" is not nearly as compelling as the 7950's or 7970's "it can close the gap to the 770/780 given that both are max OC'd".

ICDP

Nov 15, 2012
Omg 4 games released with PhysX so far this year. With such upcoming AAA titles as "Rise of the Triad" (very AAA) and AAA classics like Warframe (pretty much the next COD). Tons of AAA titles. Lol, it can approach 780 with OC'ing, then 780 can beat Titan with OC'ing, but wait the Titan can go faster with OC'ing... The argument "it can approach stock with max OC" is not nearly as compelling as the 7950's or 7970's "it can close the gap to the 770/780 given that both are max OC'd".

That list isn't even accruate, Arma 3 does not use GPU physx. PhysX is definately a selling point for Nvidia, it just doesn't enter into the equation much at all for me. My experience with PhysX was that the massive FPS hit was generally nowhere near worth the extra eyecandy.

Of course other people's opinions will differ and PhysX will be a major tick point in their GPU purchase.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
First you don't agree with Xbitlabs review implying it puts 760 at a disadvantage since its boost is only 1241, yet many sites all over the net are showing similar overclocks for the average 760, including TPU, Hardware.fr where MSI Gaming OC reached 1253mhz.

I see that you are STILL unable to find even one 760 with a lower OC than @xbitlabs (1095 / 1148 Boost / peaking up to 1241), despite their 760 being

actually closer towards the higher end of the range.

So basically what you're doing is adding more evidence that xbitlabs indeed had the worst 760 out there.

Admittedly you are backpedaling somewhat now.
Claiming that many sites showing similar overclocks for 760 as @xbitlabs.

That's a positive step toward truth, but I am not accepting semi-truthful statements NOW.
Admit you have been wrong, and move on.

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
That list isn't even accruate, Arma 3 does not use GPU physx. PhysX is definately a selling point for Nvidia, it just doesn't enter into the equation much at all for me. My experience with PhysX was that the massive FPS hit was generally nowhere near worth the extra eyecandy.

Of course other people's opinions will differ and PhysX will be a major tick point in their GPU purchase.

I mean, you'd really have to be dedicated to playing Metro and Batman exclusively to see a lot of benefit from PhysX. I can't see it as a super compelling selling feature for anywhere close to the majority of users, I can definitely agree that for a small group it's worth it. So I really don't think it's worth putting as a major selling feature or anything, and it's getting bland seeing people touting it as an "awesome feature" when it has been slowly losing support while NV fans promise that "it's gonna get better! just wait!".

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
I see that you are STILL unable to find even one 760 with a lower OC than @xbitlabs (1095 / 1148 Boost / peaking up to 1241), despite their 760 being

So basically what you're doing is adding more evidence that xbitlabs indeed had the worst 760 out there.

Admittedly you are backpedaling somewhat now.
Claiming that many sites showing similar overclocks for 760 as @xbitlabs.

That's a positive step toward truth, but I am not accepting semi-truthful statements NOW.
Admit you have been wrong, and move on.

You keep quoting his original post, like he keeps insisting that it's right. The 760 they tested is an average (aka. solid, repeatable) overclock, as is the 7950 (7950 is arguably capable of 1200+ given the [H] thread, but that's besides the point). The whole temper tantrum and "I am not accepting semi-truthful statements" is just... o_O

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Omg 4 games released with PhysX so far this year. With such upcoming AAA titles as "Rise of the Triad" (very AAA) and AAA classics like Warframe (pretty much the next COD). Tons of AAA titles.

Oh, and how many games does Bullet physics support? :rolleyes:

The list of GPU accelerated physics titles is small, but many of the games are AAA like I stated.

Witcher 3, the Batman Arkham series, Borderlands 2, Mafia 2, Arma 3, Metro Last Light, Metro 2033..

The argument "it can approach stock with max OC" is not nearly as compelling as the 7950's or 7970's "it can close the gap to the 770/780 given that both are max OC'd".

Benches? Show me an overclocked 7950 or 7970 matching the performance of a GTX 780..

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
RIGHT?

arguably the worst 760 reviewed being on higher end of OC pool is being RIGHT?

and decently OC-ed 7950 @ 1140 being nowhere close to maximum is also RIGHT?

Who cares about 1 percentile sample?
Is that 1250MHz 7950 in the wild doing anything for your 1100 sample?

It's his OP. He is linking the OC review.
Why not take the review, and OC results as they are?

Instead having an analysis in which he boosts 7950 past 1200(keeps scaling beyond 1241 MHz), and downplays 760 (loses breath at 1241MHz; 1241 sample is closer toward higher end etc etc :rolleyes:).
How come he doesn't make mistake of analyzing hypothetical 1100MHz 7950 vs 1350MHz 760?

Last edited:

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Arma 3 does use GPU PhysX, and the latest SDK at that!

Source

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
Oh, and how many games does Bullet physics support? :rolleyes:

The list of GPU accelerated physics titles is small, but many of the games are AAA like I stated.

Witcher 3, the Batman Arkham series, Borderlands 2, Mafia 2, Arma 3, Metro Last Light, Metro 2033..

So out of that list, we have Batman, Borderlands, and Metro:LL/Metro 2033 that are currently out (Mafia 2 isn't exactly AAA). Borderlands makes solid use of PhysX and doesn't need super GPU power, same with batman. Metro:LL? Good luck using PhysX with anything short of a Titan :whiste:

Frankly, given the amount of actual AAA titles released this year, I may as well call TressFX a feature for AMD or something o_O

Benches? Show me an overclocked 7950 or 7970 matching the performance of a GTX 780..

You misread me. What I said is, given a 7950/7970 and x other card, say there is a 20% performance difference at stock, given Tahiti's solid OC'ing ability, it is more than likely with both cards (tahiti and x other card) at max OC the Tahiti will make that performance gap 15% or 10%.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
So out of that list, we have Batman, Borderlands, and Metro:LL/Metro 2033 that are currently out (Mafia 2 isn't exactly AAA). Borderlands makes solid use of PhysX and doesn't need super GPU power, same with batman. Metro:LL? Good luck using PhysX with anything short of a Titan :whiste:

Frankly, given the amount of actual AAA titles released this year, I may as well call TressFX a feature for AMD or something o_O

You misread me. What I said is, given a 7950/7970 and x other card, say there is a 20% performance difference at stock, given Tahiti's solid OC'ing ability, it is more than likely with both cards (tahiti and x other card) at max OC the Tahiti will make that performance gap 15% or 10%.

780 scales ever better than 7970/7950.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
The card is only supposed to run @ default clocks.Anything else is pure luck and doing a rma which isn't covered is fraudulent.Thanks.

True, but a lot of manufacturers are okay with OCing, and some even allow you to change coolers without voiding the warranty.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
True, but a lot of manufacturers are okay with OCing, and some even allow you to change coolers without voiding the warranty.

True but you should disclose that prior to rma, that's only what I am asking.If they cover overclocking that's just golden.

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
Dude 3DMark please :) actually 780 is a monster overclocker(not that I am denying the reports of 7950/7970). If 780 was priced at $549 I would call it a blazing deal.

780 definitely does OC well, absolutely agree. 7950 just has so much potential since the clocks are so stupidly low on the original (800mHz... lawl).

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
780 definitely does OC well, absolutely agree. 7950 just has so much potential since the clocks are so stupidly low on the original (800mHz... lawl).

I believe AMD was very worried about power figures.But it was probably a very dumb move from them.If 7970 debuted at GHz+ speed we would get the GK110 sooner and at a better price point.

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006

Are you suggesting you need a titan to run max settings and physX in metro LL? wat.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Because it has extra features like PhysX, and SLI kicks the shit out of Crossfire if you plan on using more than one card like I am..

Others have already addressed the woefully small list of PhysX games out there. The only one I've played recently is BL2 and I'd honestly like to try an Nvidia card to see how the effects are but it's not worth paying a bunch of money for one game.

Regarding Crossfire, the SLI experience is better out of the box but since some awesome person created RadeonPro I and many others have had a great experience. Does the extra work of installing a program and setting up some profiles justify spending an additional $200-280 for 2x4GB 770s? Not in my opinion and especially if you're trying to make a case for best bang for your buck.

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
Ok well that's 1440p and [H] seems to require that it never drop below 30 fps.

I can only say that I just played Metro LL at 1200p with everything maxed and sweetFX enabled on my OC'd 670. It was fine. The only slowdowns I remember were in 2 scenes near the game's ending. It seemed fine 99% of the game.

Anything below 30FPS is normally considered unplayable :p Yes, lower resolutions are less demanding.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Arma 3 does use GPU PhysX, and the latest SDK at that!

Source

Not officially and CPU PhysX!

However, the developers are thinking about adding GPU PhysX support for Arma:

You can't see any PhysX particle effects in the game right now. This technology is only for our internal use at this moment. We are working on implementation and optimization of all this. We would like to have advanced (PhysX) particles in the game, but we can't promise anything right now.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthre...h-discussion&p=2416707&viewfull=1#post2416707

ICDP

Nov 15, 2012

Source

You haven't burst my bubble, my bubble burst months ago when I found out Arma 3 does NOT support GPU PhysX despite the reports to the contrary. Your link is from a rumour dated over one year ago and is inaccurate according to the latest Arma 3 Alpha release. PhysX is certainly a tick point point when shopping for a GPU but the fact that GPU PhysX does not support many new AAA titles makes it a nice but not a must have feature.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149067-Question-about-Physx&highlight=physx

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148281-Physx-driver-bug-or-game-bug&highlight=physx

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?150014-ARMA-3-PhysX&highlight=physx

Last edited: