gtx680m specs revealed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Bar twice as big means twice as fast.

Edit: Oh hey, look at that I haven't been here since Diablo 3 released nor did I read the thread and you guys are still stuck on the same conversations.

Groundhogs day @ Anand.

Riek

Dec 16, 2008
From what i read on Anandtech: they mention 680M being 50% faster than the 675M (580M) on average. (even less if you take out some games tested twice).
According to other sites the 7970M with older drivers was about 45% faster on average than the 675M. (probably the 680M will be a little faster than the 7970M as its the primary launch goal of the 680M in GK104 form).

Seems to be similar as the desktop from a performance perspective..(<10% difference) power we don't know, and die size is advantage for AMD.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
From what i read on Anandtech: they mention 680M being 50% faster than the 675M (580M) on average. (even less if you take out some games tested twice).
According to other sites the 7970M with older drivers was about 45% faster on average than the 675M. (probably the 680M will be a little faster than the 7970M as its the primary launch goal of the 680M in GK104 form).

Seems to be similar as the desktop from a performance perspective..(<10% difference) power we don't know, and die size is advantage for AMD.

The weird thing to me is the huge difference in SKUs for mobile K. The 680M looks great, but the next K option is the 660M which only has 384 cores and a 128-bit memory interface. Something in the middle would be really nice for mainstream graphics and a normal 1080P panel on most games.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Okay dude, whatever...I guess Excel isn't a program you use often...and I am dismayed by the number of people who are confused by this graph!

Edit - the graph starts at 80%, as if it was 100%, you wouldnt see any Radeon bars...does that make it easier for everyone?

I will leave the argument alone, but one claimed to be 'confused'. The graph is purposely misleading by how it was created. For those of us that have been involved with academic research (read: respectable) where standards exist for accurate recording and visual representation, this graph is an abomination. Except in cases where the scale between graphed amounts is so large (or small) that a standard continuum is impossible, the graph lengths represent the differences. If something is 50% faster/greater/larger/etc the graph should follow accordingly to scale in most cases. There may be instances where the point of the graph is to show small, minute differences, but that should be clearly explained upfront.

This is a great website on exactly this type of misleading behavior: http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/2008/6/08.06.06.x.html

I apologize for the sidebar. The ignorance of folks who think this is OK boggles my mind.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
The graph is purposely trying to create awareness with a clear context, imho. It's PR not academia.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I agree, this sort of graph should never be used again. It gets me a little aggravated when I see them.
It tells me that there should be some leash laws for advertisers and put the brakes on this attempted deception. I use the word deception because I can't think of any other reason a company would decide to use the graph. Its wrong. A really good PR move would be to show the whole spectrum of the graph. Doing it this way only screams that there is something to hide.

Last edited:

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
I agree, this sort of graph should never be used again. It gets me a little aggravated when I see them.
It tells me that there should be some leash laws for advertisers and put the brakes on this attempted deception. I use the word deception because I can't think of any other reason a company would decide to use the graph. Its wrong. A really good PR move would be to show the whole spectrum of the graph. Doing it this way only screams that there is something to hide.

The graph is totally accurate, it just has the bottom snipped off below 80%, there is no clever trickery! Anybody who cant see that deserves to be fooled!

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
ExarKun gave a link above from some Yale course and the first topic is "Lesson 1: Introduction to Misleading Graphs": http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/2008/6/08.06.06.x.html#d
"Note that the scale has been altered on the graph to emphasize the differences between the bars. It appears as if the difference between the four types of coffee is quite significant because the scale of the vertical axis starts at 24.

It's literally the same thing except the scale here starts at 80%.
You're the only one here who sees nothing misleading here. Isn't the sand getting in your eyes already? It's about the visual presentation - that's the point of graphs instead of giving raw numbers.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
ExarKun gave a link above from some Yale course and the first topic is "Lesson 1: Introduction to Misleading Graphs": http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/2008/6/08.06.06.x.html#d
"Note that the scale has been altered on the graph to emphasize the differences between the bars. It appears as if the difference between the four types of coffee is quite significant because the scale of the vertical axis starts at 24.

It's literally the same thing except the scale here starts at 80%.
You're the only one here who sees nothing misleading here. Isn't the sand getting in your eyes already? It's about the visual presentation - that's the point of graphs instead of giving raw numbers.

LOL, difference style of graphs, I understand what you are saying, however, there is no excuse not to read the chart correctly....I just think its funny people moan about it..lol

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
The graph is totally accurate, it just has the bottom snipped off below 80%, there is no clever trickery! Anybody who cant see that deserves to be fooled!

Excuse me, but nobody "deserves" to be fooled, SolMiester.
And now ask yourself WHY the graph was snipped below 80%.
Was it to save precious online bandwidth and/or pixel space?
Like all PR, it was meant to show that something was better than it actually is at first glance. Sure, anyone can look closely and see the graph cut off. But do they? Maybe, maybe not.

The 680M looks to be a fine mobile GPU. A few percent over 7970M. The graph, at first glance, makes it look like a whole lot faster than that.

I can't MAKE you see this for what it is. That is purely your choice.

Last edited:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
LOL, difference style of graphs, I understand what you are saying, however, there is no excuse not to read the chart correctly....I just think its funny people moan about it..lol

Did you even read the link? It's the exact same style of chart.

Meaker10

Apr 2, 2002
Well I will get my 7970M in the next couple of days, will be interesting to bench it against the 680M.

Also given how tweakable the 7970M is (voltage control, fast memory) then hopefully the 680M will also be just as adjustable.

Feb 19, 2009
Excuse me, but nobody "deserves" to be fooled, SolMiester.
And now ask yourself WHY the graph was snipped below 80%.
Was it to save precious online bandwidth and/or pixel space?
Like all PR, it was meant to show that something was better than it actually is at first glance. Sure, anyone can look closely and see the graph cut off. But do they? Maybe, maybe not.

The 680M looks to be a fine mobile GPU. A few percent over 7970M. The graph, at first glance, makes it look like a whole lot faster than that.

I can't MAKE you see this for what it is. That is purely your choice.

Wow... i can't believe it, you are making perfect logical sense. :)

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009

I do agree and the context is very clear. Granted the percentages may of been magnified to illustrate more awareness but it is PR after all.

If someone did get this product sku was twice as fast, while ignoring the clear context -- well, that should be studied by academia.

Riek

Dec 16, 2008
some benches by notebookcheck... you have to click in "show comparison chart"
the table below that, was done by nvidia :rolleyes:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-680M.72679.0.html

the 680m is 1% better than the 7970, in syntetics

Well another comparison can be:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5778/amd-launches-radeon-7700m-7800m-and-7900m-mobile-gpus

Average is about 49% faster than 675M according to AMD
according to Nvidia 680M is 50% faster than 580M.

So i wouldn't be suprised if they trade blows with eachother pretty well overall.

Last edited:

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
i seen those kindsa charts before...........ah here they are:

AMD-chart-670x393.png

AMD-Radeon-HD-6970-is-10-to-35-Percent-Faster-than-NVIDIA-GTX-570-Leaked-Graphs-Say-3.jpg

images

index.php

looks like nothing unusual. If you know how to read graphs and charts then there is no way you can be deceived by them. Schools teach young children at very early ages how to interpret data represent in these very very simple graphs.

its kinda the way you are supposed to present your data. With the focus on the most relevant parts. any other way quantifies the most relevant information.

icanhascpu2

Jun 18, 2009
Yup, its insulting to the customer, thinking they are dumb enough to look at the bars and go "WOW" without actually checking the numbers...

... And the worst part is the average person will probably fall for it /facepalm

Its still a wow factor even when you can read. This shitty graphing tactic is as old as sin.