GTX4xx availability in Norway = 01.06.10...

Madcatatlas

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2010
COME ON ALREADY! What the heck is this!?

This is pissing me off. Atleast give me the chance to LOOK at the box in a store this year.

And call me a turd, but why is there all of a sudden a whole load of gts2xx parts for sale?

http://www.komplett.no/k/kl.aspx?bn=10488

I thought they had stopped making that line of gpus.

Hows the status otherplaces?

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Pixmania in Denmark says 30th of April. Getmore has 5-10 days which means "no idea" :p

Price is 525€+ ... more than the X1950XTX in its days... Less than a GTX295 last year though.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
UK sites have ETA of yesterday, and are still on pre-order mode. Basically they don't know when they are getting cards.

Paper launch with a few cards trickling out in the US and the rest of the world left waiting. But then I'm not sure some countries care. GTX470 for more money than an HD5870, anyone?
£230 HD5850 available now, £300 HD5870 available now, or £310 GTX470 on pre-order with an unknown ETA?

While NV might be doing fine in the US by having at least some cards available and almost reasonable pricing (except where some sites are gouging), in the rest of the world it's not so pretty.

Madcatatlas

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2010
whatever OCguy, i bet you feel smart linkin to a 5870 article in this topic.

i think this is beyond ridiculous. I was happy when it was going to launch at mars 26, and then ...ok april first isnt too bad. and then april 12. Now its a joke

nV has lost alot of credibility with this "launch".

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Seems par for the course as far as Euro availability after launch:

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16255/34/

Except that this launch is already massively late. Now it turns out that outside the US it isn't a launch at all.

Also you ignore the pricing issue - a gtx470 for more than 5870 is not a card anyone is seriously expected to buy, its a token effort just to make it look as if nvidia actually have a product out. Unless the price drops once the card is actually genuinely launched I don't see why anyone would buy it.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Except that this launch is already massively late. Now it turns out that outside the US it isn't a launch at all.

Also you ignore the pricing issue - a gtx470 for more than 5870 is not a card anyone is seriously expected to buy, its a token effort just to make it look as if nvidia actually have a product out. Unless the price drops once the card is actually genuinely launched I don't see why anyone would buy it.

Huh? The 470 wont cost you more than a 5870 unless you enjoy getting gouged...

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

See... European pricing. Where the 470 costs the same as or more than the 5870, unless there's a Europe-wide conspiracy for every e-tailer to gouge.

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I know that you won't like this, but just get yourself a 5870 if you really need an gaming card!

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005

Obviously everybody's living in OCGuy-city... The HD5870 and GTX470 are priced the same at best here in Denmark (with prices slightly higher on the green card). Not to mention the cards are still 2 weeks away at the very least... If not more.

Also: May+ for any real availability (hey, you quoted Fuad, so did I). And that is US - I hate to think about the EU. Yes, you got yours, you got lucky. Most of the folks wanting one weren't. So there goes availability this week...

Looks like people will be waiting another month... Might as well wait for the next ATi cards ;)

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
...and so i sit here laughing, having bought my 3rd 5870 a week before the 480 NDA lift, my first 2 within 2 weeks of launch, only to be completely content with my purchasing decisions, more so than i have ever been. it almost makes me wish that the people who need the 480s for their strengths could get them though. i feel lucky to have enjoyed this level of performance for so long, but the enthusiast in me also wants those who are gonna use these fermi cards for compute to get them. i almost returned my 3rd 5870 for a 470 to run F@H on it, but i couldnt get my hands on one in time :(

not trying to be a fanboy, it's just that i waited over 5 months to upgrade from my 9800GTX, almost buying a new card several times. i was going crazy for more performance at the 5870 launch, having unexpectedly picked up a 26 inch 1920x1200 monitor for sub $300 over the summer. i literally laughed when i saw fermi's benchmarks vs the 5870 in the games i enjoyed the most, and then at the power consumption. my plan is to upgrade to sandy bridge when it comes out, and get a tricrossfire board and put all 3 5870s together. at the same time i will replace that 3rd 5870 with a new card, and im really hoping i can do an NV purchase at that time. here's to hoping i guess! until then, im content.

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
...and so i sit here laughing, having bought my 3rd 5870 a week before the 480 NDA lift, my first 2 within 2 weeks of launch, only to be completely content with my purchasing decisions, more so than i have ever been. it almost makes me wish that the people who need the 480s for their strengths could get them though. i feel lucky to have enjoyed this level of performance for so long, but the enthusiast in me also wants those who are gonna use these fermi cards for compute to get them. i almost returned my 3rd 5870 for a 470 to run F@H on it, but i couldnt get my hands on one in time :(

not trying to be a fanboy, it's just that i waited over 5 months to upgrade from my 9800GTX, almost buying a new card several times. i was going crazy for more performance at the 5870 launch, having unexpectedly picked up a 26 inch 1920x1200 monitor for sub $300 over the summer. i literally laughed when i saw fermi's benchmarks vs the 5870 in the games i enjoyed the most, and then at the power consumption. my plan is to upgrade to sandy bridge when it comes out, and get a tricrossfire board and put all 3 5870s together. at the same time i will replace that 3rd 5870 with a new card, and im really hoping i can do an NV purchase at that time. here's to hoping i guess! until then, im content.

Is Sandy Bridge really going to be worth upgrading to over an i7? I haven't seen any reason to wait so far. A 920 and tri-SLI/Xfire mobo is about $400 if you are near a MicroCenter(sorry lol does Fry's price match?)

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
you should take a look at the system specs in my rig, im already running a C2Q @ 4.2ghz and the most i do is game, so moving to an x58 platform would require 32nm quad or hex just to make it a worthwhile performance boost for me, and i would need to be 100% sure i would get a 4.4GHz or higher OC. all that, for a minor performance increase in some games? nah, not worth it to me. i have a very good reason to wait, it just doesnt make sense cost wise yet, not when im already rocking a 4.2GHz quad