GTX 980M no longer working.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
So randomly my GTX 980M seems to have stopped working properly. I am on an MSI GT72 2QE DOMINATOR PRO laptop and have been running it fine for about a year now, but suddenly the Intel graphics seems to have taken over and the 980M is only showing up as a hidden device in device manager. The device manager is also giving me a code 45 and saying it is not connected which is weird because I have not even moved my laptop at all for several weeks so it's not like it could have shaken loose or something.

I reverted from Windows 10 back to Windows 8.1 because Win10 was not even showing anything. I tried removing old drivers and installing new ones, but the Nvidia installer does not see the device there. Not sure what else to do at this point. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

I did, yeah, but thanks. A couple of things: 1. I don't have a GPU button anywhere on my laptop 2. The device manager shows the gpu as disconnected so I don't even think it would do any switching.

I also looked in the bios and did not see anywhere to switch gpu priority.

I was thinking of just bumping that thread though, if nobody else here has any other ideas.

KT

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
No gpu button by power button? Did you download the manual and look.? On phone so maybe I looked at wrong one?

Switching between the two it looks like software. Other option looks to be to disable the integrated in bios to enable the dedicated. Guess could be risky if dedicated is somehow dead.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Shame Shame on you for gaming on a laptop...

It's my backup when my PC is in use/unavailable and also for travelling. Was very handy for some quick gaming when I was in Japan for a month last summer and it allowed me to play Skyrim while in the hospital for 6 weeks earlier this year. It's actually been one of my better tech purchases. No regrets.

No gpu button by power button? Did you download the manual and look.? On phone so maybe I looked at wrong one?

Switching between the two it looks like software. Other option looks to be to disable the integrated in bios to enable the dedicated. Guess could be risky if dedicated is somehow dead.

Well I am a complete moron!! :D I never noticed that button over there and I guess there are normally letters there but they are all wiped off on mine. All of the other buttons just look like media buttons, plus the color is the same as the rest of my laptop, so I never even paid attention to them, but yeah, looking at the manual online I see now the blank button under the power button should be the GPU button. Just pressed it and, bam, it switched over to dedicated and restarted my computer so I'm all good now.

Thanks for the heads up and sorry for wasting everyone's time. I blame being up since 3:30 in the morning. :p

KT