Gtx 980 - core downclock to base clock

litwicki22

Sep 13, 2012
Hello. I just buy my new reference Gtx 980. But i have a problem i think. Because when temps go to 81c, core clock is decreasing from 1256mhz to 1126 base clock. And running like 1126-1150mhz. Is this normal or something bad with card? I was thinking that core clock in games will be always above BOOST CLOCK ( 1216mhz and above). In my situation core clock while gaming and benchmarking is throttling to 1126mhz <-- base clock.
I think its not supposed to drop to base clock just from hitting 81 C .It should only drop a bin or two. What you think? RMA that card?
Is this a issue? thx for reply and support.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
TechPowerUp said:
Temperatures are good, but they are capped by NVIDIA's Boost 2.0 algorithm which is set to a 80°C temperature limit. Clocks will be reduced slightly if the card gets any hotter than that, although they will never drop below the base clock. Our graph further down on the page details this card's clock distribution.

Source

You can set the temperature limit higher with something like Afterburner if you'd like.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I noticed another thread you have an old Coolermaster Centurion 5 case. I bet that is the problem and not the card. The card is starving for air thus throttling core temps. I believe this was the issue with the last 4 cards you have owned as well.

I would start off by getting a new case that allows more airflow to flow to the GPU.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
According to specs it's performing as defined, however it does appear to be at the very bottom of the barrel and it's certainly not a golden card that reviewers get (they can often have an open bench).

A few thoughts spring to mind, how is your case and do you have fans and good air movement or is it e.g. crammed in without space to breathe with your psu blowing hot air on it or something unusual?

As far as my opinion goes it looks like you really lost on the silicon lottery or else you have some case issues. The way they hype the cool power sipping maxwells I'd assume they have more headroom then running at the throttle limits at stock. My first concern would be your setup though.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
According to specs it's performing as defined, however it does appear to be at the very bottom of the barrel and it's certainly not a golden card that reviewers get (they can often have an open bench).

A few thoughts spring to mind, how is your case and do you have fans and good air movement or is it e.g. crammed in without space to breathe with your psu blowing hot air on it or something unusual?

As far as my opinion goes it looks like you really lost on the silicon lottery or else you have some case issues. The way they hype the cool power sipping maxwells I'd assume they have more headroom then running at the throttle limits at stock. My first concern would be your setup though.

no his card is NOT performing normally. it is NOT supposed to drop from boost down to base speeds just from going right over 80. its supposed to simply drop a single bin at that temp.

litwicki22

Sep 13, 2012
Its not dropping from boost to base clock at one time. Its just going from 1254mhz to 1224mhz and 1219mhz then 1184 and 1150mhz and 1124mhz then sitting on fluctuating 1124 between 1160mhz. Its normal or not? Card is performing normally or not?

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Its not dropping from boost to base clock at one time. Its just going from 1254mhz to 1224mhz and 1219mhz then 1184 and 1150mhz and 1124mhz then sitting on fluctuating 1124 between 1160mhz. Its normal or not? Card is performing normally or not?
if it is still under full load then it simply sounds like you are hitting the temp that makes it drop a bin but also hitting the TDP limit too. raise the power target to 125% and retest the card under full load in something like Tomb Raider on max settings and SSAA. your card should only drop one bin under those conditions.

DiogoDX

Oct 11, 2012
I think this is normal. If you want to keep the boost clocks all time just rise the power limit and fan rotation with MSI Afterburner.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
no his card is NOT performing normally. it is NOT supposed to drop from boost down to base speeds just from going right over 80. its supposed to simply drop a single bin at that temp.

It actually is.

gpu-boost-2-chart.png

The only guarantee is the base clock.

Granted you can increase the temperature limit a bit, but there is a hard limit there too.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
It actually is.

http://www.geforce.com/sites/default/files-world/gpu-boost-2-chart.png

The only guarantee is the base clock.

Granted you can increase the temperature limit a bit, but there is a hard limit there too.
you clearly have no idea how things work. you will simply drop one bin when you hit the first specified temp in GPU boost. you will not drop anymore unless you trigger the next temp, hit tdp limit, or running a game that does not need full gpu power.

here is exactly what it will look like with a reference card in a demanding game that pushes the temps around 80 C but also does not hit the TDP. one bin dropped and stays there and that can be avoided if you you use a fan curve to keep temps from ever going above 75. non reference cards will run cool enough to not do this.

pic host

Last edited:

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
I noticed another thread you have an old Coolermaster Centurion 5 case. I bet that is the problem and not the card. The card is starving for air thus throttling core temps. I believe this was the issue with the last 4 cards you have owned as well.

I would start off by getting a new case that allows more airflow to flow to the GPU.

This. Make sure airflow is good, new case if needed. Got a picture of your case guts?

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
he said he was only going to 81 C. well the reference card is always going to go over 80 C in some games on stock fan settings. the behavior the OP later described sounds like he is hitting the TDP limits while also hitting the first temp to trigger a bin drop.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
OP has a dated case that is causing his temps to throttle. At least that is my guess.

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/centurion-5/
well maybe but I am just going by his report of only 81 C. even in my case I hit 83 C in demanding games if leaving fan on stock. and if I remember correctly all of his threads worrying about high gpu temps on other cards went no where as his temps were in normal range.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Yep, there is no way his case is providing enough circulation for something like a GTX 980. Op needs to spend a bit of cash and get a better case, since he's already invested a good $500+ in a video card, another $100 or so for a nice case wouldn't be a bad idea.